Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
Knaus in Germany have gone bust as of Yesterday. Such a pity a great camper, way ahead of the Hymers etc.

Just read this on another forum is it true?:Sad:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Knaus in Germany have gone bust as of Yesterday. Such a pity a great camper, way ahead of the Hymers etc.

Just read this on another forum is it true?:Sad:

I hope not - our van is still under warranty!!!!:helpsos:

As you say great camper - can't beat it!:thumb:

Marie

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Obviously not 'way ahead' enough in sales figures though? Otherwise they would still have a business.

A quick check through AutoTrader reveals on a nationwide search, 193 Hymers for sale.....and just 8 Knauss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Obviously not 'way ahead' enough in sales figures though? Otherwise they would still have a business.

A quick check through AutoTrader reveals on a nationwide search, 193 Hymers for sale.....and just 8 Knauss.

Could that be because once you own a Knaus you are loath to sell it??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Saw plenty of Knaus vans and caravans on the road and on campsites in Spain Portugal and France - very popular make with the Europeans.:thumb: Not too many dealers selling them over here and not the same level of advertising as Hymer.
We love our Knaus and wouldn't swap her for a Hymer!:ROFLMAO:

Marie

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Could that be because once you own a Knaus you are loath to sell it??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Saw plenty of Knaus vans and caravans on the road and on campsites in Spain Portugal and France - very popular make with the Europeans.:thumb: Not too many dealers selling them over here and not the same level of advertising as Hymer.
We love our Knaus and wouldn't swap her for a Hymer!:ROFLMAO:

Marie

Sounds like a classic case of quality over quantity.
The trouble is, in this recessive economical environment, people are tightening their belts and accepting cheaper options IMHO.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Could well be the case though it appears there simply isn't enough around in the UK to make even a slight dent in sales figures of Hymers.

That doesn't necessarily make Knaus a better van than Hymer. In fact if they were really so good....then they would have been outselling Hymer.

But sometimes 'build quality' isn't everything where popularity does matter.

As a Ford Transit my van is just that. A commercial van professionally converted to a camper. Common as muck with millions of Transits all over the place, everywhere and anywhere. All the running gear mechanics and electrics are crude, simple, but effective....that means cheap.

And because Ford Transits are so popular and commonplace it also means i can get any part for it, anywhere, any time in almost any place of the world. When at home, many parts are just a simple click of the mouse away.....i don't even need to drive to a dealer.

eg. I've just bought two brand new brake discs........£17.95 including postage. At £8.97 per disc....the price is right!! :thumb:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Could well be the case though it appears there simply isn't enough around in the UK to make even a slight dent in sales figures of Hymers.

That doesn't necessarily make Knaus a better van than Hymer. In fact if they were really so good....then they would have been outselling Hymer.

But sometimes 'build quality' isn't everything where popularity does matter.

As a Ford Transit my van is just that. A commercial van professionally converted to a camper. Common as muck with millions of Transits all over the place, everywhere and anywhere. All the running gear mechanics and electrics are crude, simple, but effective....that means cheap.

And because Ford Transits are so popular and commonplace it also means i can get any part for it, anywhere, any time in almost any place of the world. When at home, many parts are just a simple click of the mouse away.....i don't even need to drive to a dealer.

eg. I've just bought two brand new brake discs........£17.95 including postage. At £8.97 per disc....the price is right!! :thumb:::bigsmile:

Ours is a Fiat Ducato - parts available all over Europe!
Internal build quality is very important when you live in the van fulltime!

Marie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back