LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our main rooflight has started weeping. The Germans use a non-setting mastic that is still soft.

If I use sikaflex it's in for life, which may be OK.

Anyone have the name of the non-setting type.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Brian, when we have had problems we use this type of thing;

Broken Link Removed

It is a lot easier and cleaner to use, it comes in different widths and colours. :Smile: Bob.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Brian Bob and Jane had the right stuff Dilators does not stock plastic very well and lets go after a fee it's hence leaks
Terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Typical Herman the German rubbish that you have there Brian. .. Perhaps you should of got yourself a quality British van.

God I've waited long and hard for this moment. ..

But in answer to your question I would go with removing it and resealing with sikaflex 512.. I done both lights on my previous continental rubbish :)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Oh btw I have some of the proper stuff manufacturers user if you want it? Let me know I will see how much I have left and toy could collect it from work or I could drop it off to you in the week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:cry: I suppose I'll have to check ours now.

It's supposed to be fine tomorrow so I'll do it then :Smile:

Graham, have you had a leak?:Sad: Or is it something Burstner owners need to do regularly?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Our main rooflight has started weeping. The Germans use a non-setting mastic that is still soft.

If I use sikaflex it's in for life, which may be OK.

Anyone have the name of the non-setting type.

Brian....When I was in the Uk last year,... I called at a few motorhome / caravan dealers, I was wanting to buy 2 tubes of sikaflex to stick the new auto sat dish on the roof....I had no luck as the dealers said they do not use it now for the reason you have mentioned it is on for life...they could not remove it....but this is what I purchased which is what they said they are now using..."Hodgson" high performance Seamseal CV ...non drying beding sealant 380ml....from Belprin road, Beverley, near Hull HU17 0LN...www.hodgsonsealants.com.

hear are a few links on EBAY.... Broken Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...=hodgson+sealants+seamseal&_sacat=0&_from=R40..

Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Carafax IDL 99

http://www.caravan-components.co.uk/Caravan-Sealant-Mastic-IDL99-Cream-in-400ml-Tube

as used throughout the caravan industry.. from most dealers.

Ideal for bedding rooflights etc and for jointing body panels.. anywhere the joint needs to flex..

Another company from Hull like the one I have just mentioned in my last reply thread....Hodgson Seamseal CV non drying bedding sealant..maybe because most of the caravans, motorhomes and static vans were or was made in the Hull beverly area:thumb: :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another company from Hull like the one I have just mentioned in my last reply thread....Hodgson Seamseal CV non drying bedding sealant..maybe because most of the caravans, motorhomes and static vans were or was made in the Hull beverly area:thumb: :thumb:

yes.. I had a look at the adverts... noticed some said " Like Carafax"

it's been used for donkeys years.. great stuff.. proper mastic .. I think Noah used it.. :roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, have you had a leak?:Sad: Or is it something Burstner owners need to do regularly?

Not from the Heki - but our van is the same age as Brian's so it's worth me checking.

As I mentioned in previous threads we had to fix a problem in the rear locker (caused by something which had been modified by the time your van was made) and with the sealant cracking a little on some joints (fixed by resealing).

The sealant problem is age related but it's something that could apply to all vans, irrespective of maker, because of flexing so well worth checking by any owner.

Feb 2, 2011
Travelling Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
3 years caravaning 5th year motorhoming
sealant

whatever you do do not use sikaflex if ever it goes wrong you wont be able to shift it. you need seamseal bedding sealant or carafax bedding sealant search for it on ebay. i am a caravan and motorhome engineer and would not dream of using an adhesive sealant on hekis.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
whatever you do do not use sikaflex if ever it goes wrong you wont be able to shift it. you need seamseal bedding sealant or carafax bedding sealant search for it on ebay. i am a caravan and motorhome engineer and would not dream of using an adhesive sealant on hekis.

sorry but I dont agree. I have used sikaflex on my sat dish and my solar panel and have changed vans 3 times and removed each item without a problem of without leaving marks. I have also replaced a heiki light (although a smaller one than Brians without issue and two toilet sky lights the same way, having had to remove one several months later because I wanted more light. If you know what your doing, it can be removed. :Smile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks everyone. In the end there was only one quick solution before Newbury, go to Spinney. There I bought a tube of Hodgesons. Sorted.

The tricky bit was jacking up the Heki bit by bit with a bottle jack. The German goo was still tacky but as usual the Brits beat them.

The seal seemed to be in two ways. The Heki had a runner gasket yet the Germans had bedded it down on some serious black mastic. Clearly both had failed a little bit.

I cleaned the roof. Tidied up the rooflight and then ran a thick bead over the old rubber gasket. It's got to work, hasn't it !

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:cry: I suppose I'll have to check ours now.
It's supposed to be fine tomorrow so I'll do it then :Smile:

Very hard to check. We found ours because the fly screen blind was wet. It leaked on the Morocco trip. I suspect the terrible roads could have moved it a bit.

The good news, the frame was sound and dry. And incredible German quality designed to last 1000 years.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Very hard to check. We found ours because the fly screen blind was wet. It leaked on the Morocco trip. I suspect the terrible roads could have moved it a bit.

The good news, the frame was sound and dry. And incredible German quality designed to last 1000 years.

Is that why it leaked ?:Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:thumb:Dig out that aerosol can of mastic you bought :thumb:
For just such a job

I'm glad I didn't. Once lifted the crap just under the rim was terrible. At home better to do a proper job.

Mind you, I did use a tin last week. I had to fit a new toilet cistern. Could I get the outlet pipe to seal. NO. Everything was just out of line enough for the rubber seal to weep. But not after spraying with that gunge.::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

The good news, the frame was sound and dry. And incredible German quality designed to last 1 year.

there you go Brian, Ive edited it correctly for ya :winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
This has made Pauls day :ROFLMAO: he has this now bookmarked

Join us or log in to post a reply.