Portugal Tolls - A Warning (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
To those amongst us that have used the electronic toll Autoroutes in Portugal be aware that the authorities do keep records, have long memories and do check and enforce.

Since the electronic toll system was introduced I have done my best to pay my dues and successfully most of the time.However when the system was first introduced it was theoretically possible for foreign registered vehicles to retro pay at a Post Office, this proved to be impossible.I then went to the expense of renting a transponder which worked until it ran out of credit without me realising, the reason I will explain later.

To get to the point. yesterday I stopped at a services on the A28 north of Porto and was approached by a car from 'Vialivre' occupied by two officers(not police) armed with a computer who asked for my proof of prepayment, which I had. This was necessary because they could not find my details on the computer, which they eventually did.The upshot of this was that they discovered 6 unpaid tolls from the initial period in March & April 2012.

No fine was involved but I had to pay the tolls plus an administrative cost for each journey which I paid by credit card, note that the old 'portagem' autoroute system will not accept UK credit cards.

The reason that my original transponder ran out of credit was because my pickup is a class 2 vehicle because it measures more than 1.1m in height above the front axle, I mistakenly assumed that it would be the same as a car in class 1.This means that most 4x4's will be in class 2 which has the added consequence that towing a single axle trailer(or caravan) becomes class 3 and a twin axle becomes class 4. this applies to all toll autoroutes in Portugal.

I assume they have some method of measuring this as every toll both, both manned and automatic came up as class 3 with the caravan.

We are on our way back to France from the Algarve through Northern Portugal & Spain towing a caravan which we have found to our cost is class 3(car & caravan is class 1) making the journey very expensive as , for us,the autoroutes are the only practicable roads in our timescale,doubt if we will do this route again for a while.

This not a whinge but a warning to those towing trailers and anyone returning to Portugal that the authorities keep records and do enforce.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for the warning.............................we are crossing to Portugal at Badajoz next week

and would appreciate more advice on the Toll system......................seen the official websites but would appreciate a heads up from someone who has been recently.

Some people have told us not to bother at all.........................but not only would I be too worried about being caught I am also happy to "pay my way" and put something into the local economy.

Is hiring the transponder and giving my credit card details the only way........I would much prefer to pay cash/card as we go along. We only intend to cross to Lisbon and then travel North and back into Spain...........perhaps 3 weeks.

What do others do ................................and recommend......Thanks

The route you are planning the only electronic toll road is the A28 north of Porto and alternative routes are available.The A3 via Braga is one of the old 'portagem' toll roads and these still have toll booths but they will not take UK cards so cash is the only option.

From Badajoz we have used the N4 to Estremoz and then south to Evora but never gone to Lisbon that way, the A6 and then A2 into Lisbon are both portagems so cash at the toll booths if you use those.

I personally would not now risk using the electronic toll roads without pre payment, we got away without a fine because we had paid and it was apparent from the records that we had done so in the past.

The route you are planning there is no need to use the electronic tolls at all but pre payment is possible online through this gateway,http://www.portugaltolls.pt/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home...... in the toll card section click on 'buy here' if you think you may use one.

There is always a warning and an exit before the electronic tolls start.

Enjoy your trip, Portugal is a wonderful country, we are currently on the Orbitur site at Caminha which is in a very nice location and the area is stunning. We have driven through this area in the past en route to Galicia but this is the first time we have stopped.

Leave tomorrow for Luarca and then the ferry from Gijon to St. Nazaire on Thursday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back