Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Having found a way of changing the time out from 20 mins to 3 hours on a boxer radio I then found a different issue.

If I do not use the radio in an evening, but then do so the next morning, all is OK.

But if I use the radio in an evening, and then try to use it the next morning, it does not work and gives the message "code error".

It appears that the "clock" for the 3 hours starts when you switch the radio on, and if you switch the radio on again more than 3 hours later then it does not work and gives this error message.

Clearing the message, however, is quite easy. All you have to do is either open and close a door, or switch the ignition on and off again. Either of these apparently resets the system, and the radio then works again.

Anyone else have this issue????

Also, anyone found a way of connecting an mp3 player with the ignition off?

This is on a new van.

Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes we have the same thing with ours, I assume it's to stop you 'accidentally' putting it on for another 3 hours and draining the battery? :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I just swapped the OEM fitted one out for something much more user friendly and with more functions ... Ten minute job...

In fact last week I refitted the OEM one as I have traded the van in now.. Another 10 minute job !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Out of interest what did you fit Jaws?

I have this radio problem...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Almost anything !
To start with I just put in an old unit I had on the shelp.. think it was a tatty Sharp
Then bought a posh Alpine but did not really like that so sold that on and ended up with a Kenwood.
Proly gonna fit that in the new van next week but I reckon within a short time I will be changing it again to something that has got better Bluetooth options

So decide what you want your unit to do..
I am not particularly in to digi radio but others are, so for me the digi tuner is low on the wanted list.
For me, it needs to have long wave ( to get Radio 4 on 198 AM .. carries a LONG way into the continent does that ! ), medium wave and of course FM.
It also need to be able to play CD's and CD's that have MP3 files on them ( cos all my audio books are MP3s' )
It should have Bluetooth for the fone ( a lot of GPS's have blue tooth nowadays but having it in the radio means the music or whatever auto mutes )

I am also careful about the tuner sensitivity but that is a bit technical and to be fair most folk would not take it in to account ( or indeed need to )

Basically almost all radios have the same Europlug connector so it is usually just a plug and play thing.

If you do not feel confident changing it your self two options.. Take your replacement unit to any Funster meet and someone will do it for you in a couple of minutes, alternately take a look in Halfrauds. They have a good selection and a good cheap fitting service :thumb:

OP
OP
motorhomer

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
If you do fit a different radio do you lose the steering wheel controls?

My last van was a fiat and this did not have steering wheel controls anyway, but my current Peugeot does and I would prefer not to lose these if poss.

Thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That would depend on the radio you fit.. Many have the facility to plug the controller in ( again the plugs are Euro Standard so unless you have a real oddball set up will be no problem )
Do check the specs of the unit to make sure it does have the facility before buying though

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
If you do fit a different radio do you lose the steering wheel controls?

My last van was a fiat and this did not have steering wheel controls anyway, but my current Peugeot does and I would prefer not to lose these if poss.

Thanks

Motorhomer,

Be very careful over making sure the wiring harness you purchase with any new radio (they are now called "Head Units" apparently) is compatible with the existing steering wheel controls. Halfords fitted ours (and were very helpful) but it took them 3 attempts before they could find a harness that worked and even that one had to come from E bay.

The Tinca's

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yessss... Halfrauds are indeed generally helpful but some of their kit leaves something to be desired !
Sums it up that the loom had to be bought from fleabay !!! :winky: ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back