Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
?¿↑→↓←↑¿?

So, where do you park?

We went to a car park but we were too big for all the spaces and the rules about overhanging the white lies made us too scared to risk getting a ticket.

We found another park and the sign said that motor homes were welcome. ::bigsmile:
But the section at the end said they were not! So we had no choice but to park in one of the coach bays - coaches only - that is what was painted on them!!!
But it said motor homes welcome, and it also said no motor homes specifically on the small car sized bays so what were we to do? Luckily we got back to the van in time, and the man who was just about to write us a ticket explained that as we were in the coach bay we were supposed to pay the coach tariff. Well, that was entirely unclear on the signs, so we went and purchased a second ticket for an additional £1.50 and he let us off the fine. Which was quite decent of him.

So today we went to out. We couldn't even get in the car park, but found a coach park close by. It had signs saying no cars, no caravans, no trucks no camping etc.... but not no motor homes. Se we risked it, and actually it was fine. Although I am sure we would have got a ticket had an inspector arrived.

But this started an interesting conversation. Where DO you park? You can't use a car park as you overhang and get a ticket. You can't use coach bays and you can't use parking meters at the side of the road you are too big! So, what is the answer?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've been known to phone the traffic / parking section at the local authority and ask. They are often very helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
What is the lengt of your van Matt.
pete

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You have to move!
Such problems are par for the norm in cornwall apparently ,I've never been there in the van but then again I've never had a problem parking anywhere else!
Therefore location is the key and quite clearly as a motor-homer, in that location your about as welcome as a fart in a perfumery! :Doh:
Joking aside I always find a space either on the roadside,car park,supermarket or wherever,I've never been out and not been able to park!

Vlad

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I don't know how you do your motorhoming (for want of a better phrase) but in the UK we tend to do our research and book club sites within walking distance of nearby villages or close to bus stops that will take us into town. We also use GJH's motorhome friendly parking website for info on parking facilities where we're heading. Other than that we are looking across the channel more and more where we are welcome with open arms almost.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
i only have one leg,,so dissabled,,,,find double yellow lines,,throw badge up and park,,,,,just have to hop a bit further,,,,,:thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Always a problem we got done in York in the coach bay but got let off after a grovelling letter sent. If we out an about we look for car parks with a bit of grass behind ,reverse till the wheels touch the kerb and usually that does it. Failing that park over two bays an get two tickets:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What is the lengt of your van Matt.
pete

We are 6 meters long. That's 19 feet 8 7⁄32 inches in old speak!

I don't know how you do your motorhoming (for want of a better phrase) but in the UK we tend to do our research and book club sites within walking distance of nearby villages or close to bus stops that will take us into town. We also use GJH's motorhome friendly parking website for info on parking facilities where we're heading. Other than that we are looking across the channel more and more where we are welcome with open arms almost.

That is an excellent resource, thanks for the link! ::bigsmile:

We like to take the motorhome out for a run over the weekend. Today we went to Newquay to watch the surf and eat pizza and drink tea. Not in that order, or even all at the same time. It is nice to sit on a cliff top with a cuppa with the sea and the birds, and parking in those places is easy. It is in town that we have problems.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been known to phone the traffic / parking section at the local authority and ask. They are often very helpful.
If in doubt that is the thing to do. The majority of local authorities provide parking for motorhomes or are happy to provide advice when asked.

Thanks for the plug Rob :Smile: Research is always a good idea,

Always a problem we got done in York in the coach bay but got let off after a grovelling letter sent. If we out an about we look for car parks with a bit of grass behind ,reverse till the wheels touch the kerb and usually that does it. Failing that park over two bays an get two tickets:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
York is a nightmare (and expensive) for parking in the city centre in any vehicle but is actually one of the easiest places in the country to park a motorhome. Four out of the five P&R sites allow motorhomes - all easy to get to, stress free and cheap travel into and out of the city on frequent buses, what more do we want? :Smile:

EDIT: Don't park over two bays (even with two tickets) unless you know it is allowed - it isn't everywhere.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
But this started an interesting conversation. Where DO you park? You can't use a car park as you overhang and get a ticket. You can't use coach bays and you can't use parking meters at the side of the road you are too big! So, what is the answer?

Normal car parks can be a problem. We normally research in advance if going to a town/city. There is often a car park or park and ride that is suitable. The vast majority of non town-centre supermarkets are fine, although a very few will have height barriers. However, we have an ethical objection to using supermarket car parks and then just going somewhere completely different.

If we don't research a town in advance, we find the best bet is to drive about one mile from the centre, where there is usually ample on-road parking. Best to choose a posh area next to a park, as there is usually loads of space and you aren't parking directly in front of people's front rooms.

Countryside is rarely an issue. You can normally find free car parks without even marked spaces. National Trust/English Heritage usually welcome them.

We're 7.5m, but too wide for car spaces (2.44m excluding mirrors).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are 6 meters long. That's 19 feet 8 7⁄32 inches in old speak!

That is an excellent resource, thanks for the link! ::bigsmile:

We like to take the motorhome out for a run over the weekend. Today we went to Newquay to watch the surf and eat pizza and drink tea. Not in that order, or even all at the same time. It is nice to sit on a cliff top with a cuppa with the sea and the birds, and parking in those places is easy. [HI]It is in town that we have problems.[/HI]

Hardy surprising really. Car parks are designed, in the main, for cars run by commuters and shoppers. Many of them are designed for regular use only by vehicles weighing no more that 2 tonnes and use by heavier vehicles can damage the structure.

We have chosen to use larger and heavier vehicles so the onus is on us to find somewhere to park rather than expect it on a plate. That, of course, does not preclude contacting local authorities or private car park owners to negotiate extra provision when we can show that it would be advantageous to all :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The clue is in the name..ie

* Car park
* Coach park
* Lorry/truck Park
* Bus Park
* Caravan park
* Motor Cycle park

Look in your V5 ..:winky:

if it says.. Motor Caravan.. that means it falls under the same regulations as a Caravan ..

The UK does not cater well for parking Caravans or Motor Caravans in towns or on the street.. Caravan owners know this and use CLs and Sites.. then drive with the car to town etc.. one of the restrictions you have to accept when you own a Motor Caravan...

Van conversions that can fit in a bay are generally ok.. except car parks with height barriers..

I did it for years with a 36FT USRV. .. and yes, it said in the V5 ..Motor Caravan

the rule of thumb.. the longer you are, the more planning required.. for example.. some sites do not accept USRVs.. mainly due to the weight .. and many have a 28ft rule, due to limitations on pitch size, weight and or access.

If you try to use a Motor Caravan the way you do a car you will have all sorts of issues.. plan ahead.. do the research and you will have a great time..

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We usually park in a supermarket, as far away from the store itself so as not to p**s off other customers, then pop in and have a word with the manager. Not had a refusal so far, but have been re-directed to another spot in the unloading area twice....fair do's. ::bigsmile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
24ft long we use our van every day my have to look a bit harder to find parking place but apart from that no problems only place I did have a problem was ilfrecomb but just had to pay the same as a coach but still
not rely a big issue ::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The plan goes thus: We need to shop, or park wherever. Find supermarket/retail outlet locations in the local, Google Earth them, go to street level to check for height barriers etc, if a retail outlet, is there a free bus service for shoppers into the nearest town?? Some have. Also at retail outlets, choose a company you have dealt with, and tell the manager that. Also, if a supermarket, let them see your a customer, flash a store card, or (Nectar, points card), that always helps. Let them know you will gladly make a small donation to their favourite charity, (Air Ambulance box, Lifeboats), if required. :Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
?¿↑→↓←↑¿?

So, where do you park?

We went to a car park but we were too big for all the spaces and the rules about overhanging the white lies made us too scared to risk getting a ticket.

We found another park and the sign said that motor homes were welcome. ::bigsmile:
But the section at the end said they were not! So we had no choice but to park in one of the coach bays - coaches only - that is what was painted on them!!!
But it said motor homes welcome, and it also said no motor homes specifically on the small car sized bays so what were we to do? Luckily we got back to the van in time, and the man who was just about to write us a ticket explained that as we were in the coach bay we were supposed to pay the coach tariff. Well, that was entirely unclear on the signs, so we went and purchased a second ticket for an additional £1.50 and he let us off the fine. Which was quite decent of him.

So today we went to out. We couldn't even get in the car park, but found a coach park close by. It had signs saying no cars, no caravans, no trucks no camping etc.... but not no motor homes. Se we risked it, and actually it was fine. Although I am sure we would have got a ticket had an inspector arrived.

As a confirmed anarchist you can park anywhere and then tell them to stuff their parking ticket where the sun doesn’t shine. Ticket tootling Fascists. Power to the People Bro… I aint going to fund the unaccountable and barely elected trumped up little ‘hitler’s’ in the Council office, I am a citizen of the world, I have no boundaries, I abide by no man made laws…
Let’s occupy the car park that will show them…

We shall not, we shall not be moved
Just like a tree that's standing by the water
We shall not be moved
The union is behind us,
We shall not be moved
We're fighting for our freedom,
We shall not be moved
We're fighting for our children,
We shall not be moved
We'll building a mighty union,
We shall not be moved
Black and white together,
We shall not be moved
Young and old together,
We shall not be moved

Well besides any German Motorhomer, Burtstner’s are the worst.

Welcome to the Hell of Britain and the less than friendly attitude shown towards legit Motor homers, all caused by a minority who have abused the system.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As a confirmed anarchist you can park anywhere and then tell them to stuff their parking ticket where the sun doesn’t shine. Ticket tootling Fascists. Power to the People Bro… I aint going to fund the unaccountable and barely elected trumped up little ‘hitler’s’ in the Council office, I am a citizen of the world, I have no boundaries, I abide by no man made laws…
Let’s occupy the car park that will show them…

Just like a tree that's standing by the water
We shall not be moved
The union is behind us,
We shall not be moved
We're fighting for our freedom,
We shall not be moved
We're fighting for our children,
We shall not be moved
We'll building a mighty union,
We shall not be moved
Black and white together,
We shall not be moved
Young and old together,
We shall not be moved

Well besides any German Motorhomer, Burtstner’s are the worst.

Welcome to the Hell of Britain and the less than friendly attitude shown towards legit Motor homers, all caused by a minority who have abused the system.
and if all else false sell the van :ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If that fails... Try this...

camping.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I wish I could issue a ticket for every car and 4x4 tractor I see overhanging the parking bays at my local supermarket - I'd be very rich very soon.

If a car park doesn't have an outright ban on MHs and I take up two bays I'll usually buy two tickets. I'll never normally park sideways across multiple bays.

If the bays are only standard size but there's level grass behind I'll reverse in and overhang at the back - that's a surprisingly easy option.

If the bays aren't marked in a parking area I'll do my best to tuck the MH away in a corner that I know I can get out of, rather than just plonking it at a jaunty angle across the middle like it's some sort of national monument to the size of my wedge (ie "I am Ozy-A-Class, King of Motorhomes, gaze on my works ye mighty and despair").

That said it'll still be a bugger if we ever end up with limited mobility.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When we shop, we try to go after 6 pm. The car-parks are usually pretty empty then, and occupying two bays is not a problem. Most places are open until around 10 anyway, and their café's until around 9.
The bottom line is this. Your spending money with them, and if your careful about parking, your welcome with open arms. ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The majority of supermarket car parks do not have restrictions – after all, the owners are trying to encourage people to visit and spend money with them. In such cases it is simply a matter of common sense. Taking up two in-line spaces to accommodate the vehicle length is obviously more considerate to other users than parking across a larger number of side by side spaces. Parking in lesser used areas is also a good idea.

Where restrictions are in place it is generally as a result of abuse by people staying longer than is necessary simply to do their shopping (e.g. commuters staying all day, people avoiding town centre car park charges). Enquiring (Results Here) found that most supermarkets (Aldi, Asda, Lidl, Sainsburys, Tesco) are happy to waive multiple bay restrictions so long as people park sensibly, pay any charges levied and don't exceed time limits. It is a good idea to have a friendly word with the customer services desk (if there is one) to make sure there is no problem. Individual Waitrose branches may allow use of multiple bays where a restriction is in place if asked first.

Officially, Morrisons do not allow use of multiple bays where a restriction is in place. However I once asked at the Customer Service Desk if it would be OK and the lady there told me that the parking attendant hadn't started his shift and that she would watch out for him coming. That conversation would, I think, have changed the terms of the contract as displayed on the boards in the car park. Her agreement could, of course, have had something to do with me saying that if we weren't allowed to park we would have to buy our food and diesel at Tesco a mile away :Smile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
IF! you use common sense, there are plenty of places to park

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Always be polite, smile and ask if you can park and never make a scene if there is a refusal.

That way we all benefit.

Generally rules are imposed when someone has taken the p***.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back