sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
My MH doesnt have a spare wheel,,its got that silly system thats supposed to repair punctures and blow the tyre up,,,but as going to france am i better getting a spare wheel for the trip ? i know it will add weight .....:Sad:

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I'm in the same position so I've decided to get just a spare tyre. If you get a serious blowout then at least you have something at hand for the a tyre fitter to use. I've noticed that this has been discussed before in the Forums.

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Sorry i didnt see the old discussion and cant find it....:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
thanks have found them now,,,,phone call needed to my tyre fitter mate.....:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
before yopu buy a spare wheel, have you tried changing one on your motorhome? and have you thought of the alternative as in Puncturesafe?

i tried to remove a wheel last weekend in my driveway and i will not be doing that at the road side. :Eeek:

but, its whatever makes you feel safe and secure.:thumb:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
at least with a spare,,if we need a breakdown company out as i am dissabled, they will have one to put on for us and get us going again....

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
at least with a spare,,if we need a breakdown company out as i am dissabled, they will have one to put on for us and get us going again....

agreed, but you only need a spare if you have a tyre wall cut through or a blow out with puncture safe and it covers all tyres not just one, it automatically seals upto 5 / 6 punctures in a tyre. maybe theres a case for both.

its personal choice at the end of the day.:thumb:

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
I decided to get a spare wheel as like many new vans mine came with a puncture repair kit
I got a new rim from Germany off the internet and tried a few garages in Spain for a spare Vanco tyre, in the end the quickest I could get the same type of tyre was 3 days, and as I'm off to Greece should the tyre be damaged beyond repair I did not fancy hanging around for a new tyre or have to take whatever similar tyre the breakdown service have.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
agreed, but you only need a spare if you have a tyre wall cut through or a blow out with puncture safe and it covers all tyres not just one, it automatically seals upto 5 / 6 punctures in a tyre. maybe theres a case for both.

its personal choice at the end of the day.:thumb:

I've always carried the cans, as most of my vehicles aren't suitable for spare wheels (either underslung, so were stolen within a month of owning the vehicle, or LPG converted with the wheel well in use).

Without exception, every time I've had a puncture, the can has been useless as the blowout has been too severe.

Luckily, the RV has a spare (and would look odd without it stuck on the back).

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you had the slime or oko in before the puncture it shouldnt have gone down .
thats the benefit of slime.
i have had 11 punctures in a tyre and then put oko in and it sealed them . only slow leaks from desert thorns .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
[HI]if you had the slime or oko in before the puncture it shouldnt have gone down .
thats the benefit of slime. [/HI]
i have had 11 punctures in a tyre and then put oko in and it sealed them . only slow leaks from desert thorns .

this is what puncture safe is, its in place all the time, you dont know you have had a puncture as its instant repair to " normal " punctures.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i realize that i use oko . its all slimey goo.
we used to use it in tractors when i worked for ats in the 70,s .
thats how i got into playing with it .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All this puncture safe crap is great on motorhomes as they are so slow.. I am around 23,000 other motorcyclists have been actively campaigning and lobbying EMP and MP's to try to get it banned as a motorcycle application. It is bloody lethal on anything that can accelerate quickly

The only downsides to having it your van tyres are:

1) As mentioned you do not KNOW when you get a puncture .. It may well be the puncture has torn some cords and you end up with a carbuncle which eventually lets go with a bang.. Dangerous stuff !!

2) Many tyre replacement places now make a hefty surcharge when it comes to changing the tyre(s) as it can make a bit of a mess ( though my experience indicates this is more an excuse to charge more than a real issue )

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
before yopu buy a spare wheel, have you tried changing one on your motorhome? and have you thought of the alternative as in Puncturesafe?

i tried to remove a wheel last weekend in my driveway and i will not be doing that at the road side. :Eeek:

but, its whatever makes you feel safe and secure.:thumb:

just orderd some Puncturesafe from amazon £20 but should do 2 tyres,,if easy to put in tyres i will get aother bottle for the other 2 tyres....::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just orderd some Puncturesafe from amazon £20 but should do 2 tyres,,if easy to put in tyres i will get aother bottle for the other 2 tyres....::bigsmile:

all you do is Jack the vehicle on 1 wheel let the air out and remove valve, put in the measured amount of GOOO! for your tyre size, replace valve and then reinflate tyre to correct pressures. do this on each tyre in turn, when completed the first time you use your vehicle you will feel a small amount of wheel imbalance for a short time while the GOOO! disperses around the tyre. this took about 3 miles on mine at about 50mph to sort.

thereafter i have not even noticed its been in the tyres.

i agree it would not be suitable for high performance motor cycles, i can see that putting this in a really fast accelerating motor cycles would undoubtedly cause significant balance problems for the wheels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back