Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
At 07.44 this morning I received an email from e-bay thanking me for changing my e-mail address and the usual "if it wasn't you then please change password immediately."

Well it was definitely e-bay and not a scam because they were using my correct
i.d. so I went into my account and changed my password to a computer generated 20 digit job-bi.

Less than and hour later I was congratulated on purchasing a Samsung 4s for $425 and 5minutes later it appears I bought an i-phone5 for $700.

Needless to say I was on the phone a bit quick with an estimated wait time of 57minutes and sure enough almost an hour later and a very efficient young lady who insisted calling me on my mobile to confirm who I was, cancelled the two purchases and advised how further to protect my account so I'm currently impressed with e-bay, though not the time it takes to be put through to a human (albeit American)...........

One very relieved Popeye...............:thumb:.......Griff

Reading Joy's (movan) thread, I wondered if any one else has had troubles?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Somebody bought a Gelert wind blocker using my account:Angry:

Oh.......it was me. Senior moment:Blush::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
We had a similar occurrence a couple of years ago.
We reckon it was someone local as we would have normally been away at that time. Apparently I had purchased an all terrain vehicle :Eeek:, fortunately we had not been able to attend our regular camp and so were at home and got our emails.
I reported this to the local police WHO DID NOT WANT TO KNOW!!!:Angry::Angry:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I got one from "PayPal" this week asking me to log on via the email and verify my purchases due to recent unusual activity on my account
I ignored it, deleted email immediately and logged on to my PayPal account from my work computer which has no connection to my personal email.

Nothing going on in PayPal at all - a phishing email

Never, never go to your account from an email

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]I got one from "PayPal"[/HI] this week asking me to log on via the email and verify my purchases due to recent unusual activity on my account
I ignored it, deleted email immediately and logged on to my PayPal account from my work computer which has no connection to my personal email.

Nothing going on in PayPal at all - a phishing email

Never, never go to your account from an email

I get those almost every week and no I would never log onto a site from a link, my point was the email WAS from eBay as they used my correct i.d. and they were most efficient once I phoned them........be careful out there..... :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had this a few years ago but the other way round, people got into our account and listed loads of phones for sale, we only knew when we got an email confirming sales!!!!! :whatthe:

Ebay were good once we managed to 'speak' to someone though, not always easy, and you can do live chat on the web I believe to get quicker action.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
On ebay or paypal if you or a fake change the passwords, you (the registered user) will always get an email from ebay or paypal advissing you that it has been changed, it always has your full registered natural name in the text

Peter

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
At 07.44 this morning I received an email from e-bay thanking me for changing my e-mail address and the usual "if it wasn't you then please change password immediately."

Well it was definitely e-bay and not a scam because they were using my correct
i.d. so I went into my account and changed my password to a computer generated 20 digit job-bi.

Less than and hour later I was congratulated on purchasing a Samsung 4s for $425 and 5minutes later it appears I bought an i-phone5 for $700.

Needless to say I was on the phone a bit quick with an estimated wait time of 57minutes and sure enough almost an hour later and a very efficient young lady who insisted calling me on my mobile to confirm who I was, cancelled the two purchases and advised how further to protect my account so I'm currently impressed with e-bay, though not the time it takes to be put through to a human (albeit American)...........

One very relieved Popeye...............:thumb:.......Griff

Reading Joy's (movan) thread, I wondered if any one else has had troubles?

Struggling a bit here mate. If they said you had changed your email addy, why did they contact you on your old one?? And how did you manage to get into your account to change your password, if the email addy had been altered???

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I first started a PayPal account I got spam within 24 hours relating to the account. It made me very wary and nothing since has changed. The OP was conned simple as that, but nothing to be embarrassed about. The spammers are very clever these days and will no doubt get cleverer still. I think e-mail needs a good sorting out to prevent this sort of criminal activity.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Struggling a bit here mate. If they said you had changed your email addy, [HI]why did they contact you on your old one[/HI]?? And how did you manage to get into your account to change your password, if the email addy had been altered???

Quite simply because if you change your postal address or your email or even your password, they will ALWAYS write to your old one just in-case you haven't changed it.....simples. See note below from Johns Cross MoHomes.

When I first started a PayPal account I got spam within 24 hours relating to the account. It made me very wary and nothing since has changed.[HI] The OP was conned simple as that[/HI] , but nothing to be embarrassed about. The spammers are very clever these days and will no doubt get cleverer still. I think e-mail needs a good sorting out to prevent this sort of criminal activity.

No the OP wasn't conned..........the OP had his e-bay account compromised and e-bay sent off a GENUINE email alerting me of this which saved the day, obviously you don't read all the posts or you would have grasped this.......:Eeek: ... it was sent out as a warning to all that even the most astute can get their account hi-jacked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
As per this from Peter

On ebay or paypal if you or a fake change the passwords, you (the registered user) will always get an email from ebay or paypal advissing you that it has been changed, it always has your full registered natural name in the text

Peter

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Quite simply because if you change your postal address or your email or even your password, they will ALWAYS write to your old one just in-case you haven't changed it.....simples. See note below from Johns Cross MoHomes.

No the OP wasn't conned..........the OP had his e-bay account compromised and e-bay sent off a GENUINE email alerting me of this which saved the day, obviously you don't read all the posts or you would have grasped this.......:Eeek: ... it was sent out as a warning to all that even the most astute can get their account hi-jacked.

Only asked.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Let's not fall out over this but someone conned by a clever scam. How they did it, hijacking the account or whatever, is immaterial, the people who did it were criminals. If an hour after changing the password someone takes money out of the account then it suggests to me something is wrong.

Personally I would be very wary about any request to change my password or log in details. It is a classic spammers technique and because they can make their email look as if it came from someone genuine is clearly quite effective.

My reading of ALL of the posts may be wrong, in which case people need to explain themselves better!

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Definitely committed by a criminal but strictly speaking it's a hack and a con isn't it?

1. Somebody hacked into Griff's eBay account and changed the e-mail address.
2. As part of normal security eBay sent a message to the original e-mail address, which allowed Griff to sign in (done using eBay Id not e-mail address) and make the necessary account corrections.
3. In the meantime the criminal conned a seller or sellers by buying two phones. That resulted in messages being sent to Griff's e-mail address rather than that of the criminal because he had been able to correct the account details.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Is there a link?

Post deleted. That'll teach me to read the thread!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Definitely committed by a criminal but strictly speaking it's a hack and a con isn't it?

1. Somebody hacked into Griff's eBay account and changed the e-mail address.
2. As part of normal security eBay sent a message to the original e-mail address, which allowed Griff to sign in (done using eBay Id not e-mail address) and make the necessary account corrections.
3. In the meantime the criminal conned a seller or sellers by buying two phones. That resulted in messages being sent to Griff's e-mail address rather than that of the criminal because he had been able to correct the account details.

Thank you Graham, perfectly concise summary of the essential points. The whole picture is necessary in order that one can appreciate the lengths these scum bags will go to in order to separate you from your hard-earned.

If I was guilty of anything it was that I was using a puny 6 digit password which had similarities to other passwords on other sites, a sin most readers of this are guilty of.

This is no longer the case if they get hold of the computer (lastpass) generated password which is 20- digits, both upper and lower case and alpha numeric then they deserve their cheap phones. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Your mission, should you decide to take it, is to remember the bloody thing ! :Doh:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
When I first started a PayPal account I got spam within 24 hours relating to the account. It made me very wary and nothing since has changed. The OP was conned simple as that, but nothing to be embarrassed about. The spammers are very clever these days and will no doubt get cleverer still. I think e-mail needs a good sorting out to prevent this sort of criminal activity.

It does seem that banks and other organizations are starting to use mobile phone numbers more and more as a better secure means of contact and identity .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back