Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Due to other travel plans ::bigsmile: we're leaving the van on the driveway until October. So, do I leave it hooked up to the electric or not?
Also, should I put the engine battery on a charger for drip feeding?

Any other 'long term standing' tips would be great.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A Solar panel will keep the batteries topped up, if a prolonged dull spell then plug it into the mains, Fiats can be very power hungry when parked up.
Also remember to keep fridge and cupboard doors open to allow air to circulate.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
A Solar panel will keep the batteries topped up, if a prolonged dull spell then plug it into the mains, Fiats can be very power hungry when parked up.

If you leave the motive battery on charge, make sure that the charger is an automatic one which cannot overcook your battery, but will allow compensation to power your anti theft alarms etc.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp

We live in Orkney...................it's always dull. :cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
jack vehicle off its wheels to prevent flat spots and cover tyres to prevent sun damage. lots on mouse traps mouse bait etc etc etc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In addition to the other advice..

For that length of time (5 months ?) I would remove both engine and house batteries.. ensure they were fully charged, and store in the shed or house ..
downside is no vehicle alarm.. but would any hear it and if they did so ..do anything about it ? It's hard to nick a van with no battery..

You could also store cushions indoors..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
In addition to the other advice..

For that length of time (5 months ?) I would remove both engine and house batteries.. ensure they were fully charged, and store in the shed or house ..
downside is no vehicle alarm.. but would any hear it and if they did so ..do anything about it ? It's hard to nick a van with no battery..

You could also store cushions indoors..

Can't get the leisure batteries out! They are under the front seats and it's a major job!! Been there done that, won't EVER do it again. However, could I just disconnect all the batteries and leave in situ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
steve plug it in and go and enjoy yaself all will be well mate :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can't get the leisure batteries out! They are under the front seats and it's a major job!! Been there done that, won't EVER do it again.[HI] However, could I just disconnect all the batteries and leave in situ?[/HI]

yes.. disconnect the earth (negative) strap(s)

don't forget you will need the radio code when you reconnect..

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Leave all internal doors open and bed and cushions proped up a bit to let air flow around
Start it up for 15 min every week or so to given engine a whirl and top things up
It ain't as though you have to walk far easy :thumb:

Unless you are not going to be there

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you are away for a long time and leave your van on hook up ... several months ... would it damage the battery and if so, why? Would it not automatically cut off when the battery reaches max charge?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you are away for a long time and leave your van on hook up ... several months ... would it damage the battery and if so, why? [HI] Would it not automatically cut off when the battery reaches max charge[/HI]?

yes, it should.. but 5 months is a long time to leave anything to it's own devices...

what happens if the charger develops a fault and overheats the batteries.. overheated batteries can catch fire.. fire burns motorhomes.. big time..

Insurance man turns up.. sorry mate, not paying out, you left it plugged in and unattended..

Anyone thinking on doing this should check with their insurance company first .. personally I wouldn't .. even if covered, .. think of the grief if it burns to the ground.. .

Last edited:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Our caravan is always plugged in at home, fridge on,, has been for years unless on holiday, had big problems with fridge with first van, and we were advised to keep on EHU even when not being used, neighbours now have followed suit.

My MH is plugged in if I am not going out that day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back