Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Swift royale 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all, I have a 1995 Swift Royale 540 2.5tdi. I would like to know why it slows down on inclines from 60mph to 40 and really seems to struggle, embarrassing sometimes :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What speed do you get out of it normally? Do you leave it stood up much? I'm thinking 'sleepy van syndrome' and a sticking turbo waste gate ....

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi all, I have a 1995 Swift Royale 540 2.5tdi. I would like to know why it slows down on inclines from 60mph to 40 and really seems to struggle, embarrassing sometimes :)

Turbo hoses seem a good place to start

Specially if accompanied with large plumes of black smoke
Under heavy load

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
1st up id say drop it down a cog int 4th

2nd up if your diong this & its still slowing then we would need more info on speed conditions, hill etc

but straight up sounds like it just needs a gear change like my 97 boxer useless on hills 60 to 40 in an instant that is untill i tweak the engine :winky: soon ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Dirty filter !!

Hi there I had similar problem,it turned out to be the gauze filter in the fuel tank pipe pick up.I blew it through with the air hose and it cured it.Hope yours is as simple. Regards Barry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mick James

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Swift royale 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Speed

What speed do you get out of it normally? Do you leave it stood up much? I'm thinking 'sleepy van syndrome' and a sticking turbo waste gate ....

No problem reaching 60 on a straight, till I hit an incline. Van was stood for a while before I bought it. It came from Thurso. Just done a 700 mile round trip but still struggling.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Mick have you ever driven a Luton type box van before & if so was it a modern one or old one.
I have driven everything over the years & my 97 boxer autostratus is the same, powerful on the flat & useless on an incline. I have just driven it to north Wales & most of it was in 4th.
I am not bothered because this is normal for a van of this year you see back when it was built the engines were highly underpowered & had badly matched gears.
Drive an old transit & you'll know what I mean, even my 03 T4 was the same useless in 5th that was until I tinkered with it.

Give me some time & I will have a fix to boost the power if your interested nothing major but just enough.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mick James

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Swift royale 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Luton

Hi Mick have you ever driven a Luton type box van before & if so was it a modern one or old one.
I have driven everything over the years & my 97 boxer autostratus is the same, powerful on the flat & useless on an incline. I have just driven it to north Wales & most of it was in 4th.
I am not bothered because this is normal for a van of this year you see back when it was built the engines were highly underpowered & had badly matched gears.
Drive an old transit & you'll know what I mean, even my 03 T4 was the same useless in 5th that was until I tinkered with it.

Give me some time & I will have a fix to boost the power if your interested nothing major but just enough.
Yes, I have driven a Luton a few times, over 15 years ago and they are slow. Like you say, it doesn't really bother me either. Just thought the turbo would get me up a hill a bit quicker. When I worked for BT I drove transits and old Commers, and they were slow too.

Upvote 0

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007

hi i have 1996 swift royale 2.5itd same engine as yours when i bought it last year i was really dissapointed in fifth gear performance i found i could get to sixty no problem in fourth but as soon as i changed up to fifth the speed would just drop off and i had to change down to fourth and build speed up again and since i was on our first trip away with van this was very frustrating. so i stopped at a layby and whilst the wife started making a cuppa i started investagating first thing i noted that new carpets had been fitted in hab and cab and they seemed to to
infringe on the travel of the throttle travel so out with the stanley knife and cut away the carpet allowing more travel, then up with bonnet and started to examine the throttle cable travel i noted that there seemed a lot of slack before throttle gate started to open so i moved the cable adjustment clip two notche. had my cuppa and set off again the effect was immediatly noticeable excelleration was better and held speed better in fifth, but i still was not happy i felt it still lacked something so next trip was france and i felt i was still changing down from 5th to 4rth to often i felt the engine was been strangled so i then pulled out air filter no problem it was new and clean so i thought what next i then noticed the big air intake was connected to a air induction elbow that went into the front cross member ( where your bonnet catch is ) so i started examining as to where it got its air fromand reached the conclusion that this is a bad design so i pulled the hose off the elbow and placed it in a position so the intake of the hose was facing forward thus creating a RAM effect i then proceeded to DRIVE A NEW VEHICLE NO MORE CHANGING DOWN CRUISING AT 75MPH and when i do come to a heavy incline as soon as the speedo hits 62mph i change down to 4th and cruise up at 60mph another peice of advice i would give is when in 5th and your coming to an incline CHANGE DOWN EARLY TO 4TH SO YOU KEEP THE REVS UP hope this is of some help jt

Upvote 0

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007

hi i have 1996 swift royale 2.5itd same engine as yours when i bought it last year i was really dissapointed in fifth gear performance i found i could get to sixty no problem in fourth but as soon as i changed up to fifth the speed would just drop off and i had to change down to fourth and build speed up again and since i was on our first trip away with van this was very frustrating. so i stopped at a layby and whilst the wife started making a cuppa i started investagating first thing i noted that new carpets had been fitted in hab and cab and they seemed to to
infringe on the travel of the throttle travel so out with the stanley knife and cut away the carpet allowing more travel, then up with bonnet and started to examine the throttle cable travel i noted that there seemed a lot of slack before throttle gate started to open so i moved the cable adjustment clip two notche. had my cuppa and set off again the effect was immediatly noticeable excelleration was better and held speed better in fifth, but i still was not happy i felt it still lacked something so next trip was france and i felt i was still changing down from 5th to 4rth to often i felt the engine was been strangled so i then pulled out air filter no problem it was new and clean so i thought what next i then noticed the big air intake was connected to a air induction elbow that went into the front cross member ( where your bonnet catch is ) so i started examining as to where it got its air fromand reached the conclusion that this is a bad design so i pulled the hose off the elbow and placed it in a position so the intake of the hose was facing forward thus creating a RAM effect i then proceeded to DRIVE A NEW VEHICLE NO MORE CHANGING DOWN CRUISING AT 75MPH and when i do come to a heavy incline as soon as the speedo hits 62mph i change down to 4th and cruise up at 60mph another peice of advice i would give is when in 5th and your coming to an incline CHANGE DOWN EARLY TO 4TH SO YOU KEEP THE REVS UP hope this is of some help jt

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont forget, its a commercial vehicle base, more used to carrying half its capacity for short journeys.....builders van/pickup.

It probably has no more than 70bhp (it only had around 80bhp to start with) left at such an age and dragging 3500kg all the time.

Fifth gear is far too high for hill climbing and its normal to have to change down.

Some motorway hills in central France have seen me down to second gear in a headwind in my old Ducato based Kontiki....and that was a 2.8ltr turbo diesel.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well weve just retured from our 1st trip to wales in the motor a 450 round mile trip, before we set off i brimmed the tank & added 1 x full bottle of diesel cleaner from wyns which is supposed to be a 2 tank shot.
plenty of revs followed suit plus plent of changing down on the hills on the way up....
on the return trip i added another 28ltrs of fuel & ran back south down the M1 I know its downhill but I did notice a difference in mine...

Having been stood a while & the last owner only ever done 300 mile in a year :Eeek: ive now cover almost 3k & well ot big improvements but the fuel economy has gradually gone up & with the diesel treatment this weekend i think i got a bit more oompth out of her as my usuall drop down on the M25 didnt happen plus some on the inclines on the M1 were better wit less changing down.

I will look into the air filter as my 1st port of call

Mick do check one thing thou: There should be a vacume pipe atached to the EGR valve (long tube looking thing sticking up from the engine) it wiill attach to the exhaust & inlet..... Mine had split & fallen off & I had to trim it & put it back.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back