Tyres (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The motorhome I hope to pick up next week (pending habitation check) needs a couple of front tyres and the spare replacing. So I was thinking of replacing all four and keeping one of the back ones as a spare. This therefore means I don't have to match tyres and can start out with a clean sheet. So firstly do I need special camper tyres or can I use commercial van tyres. Max weight of the MH is 3400kg. I've heard good reports on the Hankook RA18 tyres but I don't think they are designated as camper tyres. Having read a few posts on forums it seems a bit of a minefiled. I'd appreciate some advice on recommendations that aren't an arm and a leg each. Are there any problems with insurance requirements?

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I have had 6 Hankooks put on my Ford by Event tyres of Warrington
They came out to do them at home and were very professional .:Smile: and the price was very competitive
The motorhome had Hankooks on since new so I was happy renewing them with the same. They don't make a camper tyre to fit the ford.
I have a discount code for Event if you want it.:Smile:

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi, We have used Hankook RA08 for many years,and found them very good for our purposes, Alf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Straight forward van tyres buddy as it effectively a van that's been converted :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in general, camper tyres have a heavier duty sidewall to cope with the permenant almost fully laden loads which could cause sidewall deformation due to the amount of time stood rather than rolling.

Commercial vehicles, and therefore their tyres, are not usually subjected to full loads at all time so wont suffer the same.

As long as load and speed ratings for the vehicle are adhered to there shouldnt be any issues using either.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2010
west sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Tents till 1973,caravan till1987m/home since1987
Whould an insurance company wriggle out of payment after an event?

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I haven't organised insurance yet but that is a question I will ask.

I've just been quoted £82 per tyre for the Hankook RA18 fully fitted which I'm pleased with. Next question is about metal valves. When do they become necessary?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Whould an insurance company wriggle out of payment after an event?

Interesting that the tyre thread/tread has reared it's ugly head again:Doh:
I'm on the verge of having to replace the two front ones, they're still legal, but will be doing it before too long. Have had umpteen conversations with other van owners, Auto-trail, tyre manufacturers, police, VOSA (now merged to become the driver vehicle and standards agency), local hgv depot as well as our insurers who are Safeguard.

There are varying opinions from other motorhome owners, but everyone of the other organisations contacted were NOT interested in whether we fit van tyres or camping tyres. All said as long as the van is legal in all aspects, (with the van tyres being the correct load rating for the weight of the van.)

I spoke to my insurers yesterday to double-check that I would not compromise or invalidate my insurance and they said no, we wouldn't be.

Have also checked my insurance policy t and c's and this is the correct information. This is not to say that I will be fitting van tyres, this was all done for my own information before I take the plunge.

Bill

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I forgot to add in previous post, that I spoke to our mh service and habitation engineer and other reputable tyre companies recently about this. Each one of them asked me if the van sits around in storage for months at a time, or whether it is used on a daily basis. Ours is our sole vehicle and I was informed that if the van is going be used every day then there was no need to have reinforced walls. Problems can still happen with camping tyres if the vehicle is sitting laid up for months on end.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back