Free Member
Jun 26, 2010
Cleethorpes. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki
Exp
5 years
just wached bbc look north they are planning a marina at woodall spa to bring tourism into the town i wonder if they will do the same for motorhomes

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can bet that nothing will be done for motorhomes until somebody flags up a requirement, because they probably haven't even thought about it.

You could always e-mail Globe Limited and Woodhall Spa Parish Council and ask them if they would consider an aire - plus offer to work with them to discuss the various options and how they might include them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just wached bbc look north they are planning a marina at woodall spa to bring tourism into the town i wonder if they will do the same for motorhomes

What a good point. Compared to a marina a few yards of tarmac would cost nothing and both could be done at the same time. And there must be 10 MHs for every boat out there.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sent email to the council whats the odds on a reply

Good for you, the odds are good.

My parking web site was built on e-mail contacts with councils. In fact, lack of response and negative responses tend to be a feature of trying to contact private companies rather than councils.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What a good point. Compared to a marina a few yards of tarmac would cost nothing and both could be done at the same time. And there must be 10 MHs for every boat out there.

Agreed Brian. The problem is that people in general are probably not aware of any desire of motorhome owners for an aire. Lots of people know about boats but not so many about motorhomes. How many of us knew about the aires system on the continent before we bought a van (or, at least, before we seriously started looking)?

Many developers (private and public) would be happy to at least look at low cost facilities as an adjunct to a new development but they need to have the requirement flagged up first. That is where those living reasonably locally to a development come in because it is their local knowledge which can provide support for the viability of a scheme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I didn't see the report, but would have thought that building a marina will not give free use to boat owners, effectively no difference to building another campsite

We have friends with a narrow boat, their marina charges are as high as I pay for campsites

The problem we find is most campsites don't lend themselves to a walk into the town or village, on grounds of safety or distance

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]I didn't see the report[/HI], but would have thought that building a marina will not give free use to boat owners, effectively no difference to building another campsite

We have friends with a narrow boat, their marina charges are as high as I pay for campsites

The problem we find is most campsites don't lend themselves to a walk into the town or village, on grounds of safety or distance

There are several reports to be found using Google, including Broken Link Removed.

As regards cost, it probably won't be free but why should it be? Development and maintenance costs have to be recouped somehow. The advantage of planning facilities into a new development, though, is that any extra costs can be minimised.

Most camp sites are out of town because land values are cheaper and/or (CLs especially) they are opened where there are existing businesses (e.g. farms). When opportunities like this present themselves they need grasping - and, as said last night, local people are ideally placed to do so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back