west mid wales advice. (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Planning a 3- 5 day tour to the area between cardigan and aberystwyth and back via elan valley.
This will be mid week sometime over next 3 weeks but avoiding bank hol.
Will want to stay on sites and mid tour will need a full service site.
Want to visit the NT 'gold mine' and do some walking.
considering following sites:
Cumcuttan
NT site at goldmine
Red Kite
Shawmead CC
LLanfadog Fields CL

comments pls ?

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Mid Wales Tour

Hi there,

There are a couple of Brit Stops, one I know very well, the Black Lion in Pontrhydfendigaid. There are a few more in that area as well. Need to get the book.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Elan Oaks at the Elan valley is a good site close by the visitor center serviced pitches including ethernet, TV , Sat and wifi. oh and water and EHU. that all said its a small site with a small shower block and not over managed. great walks and cycling but not cheap at £18 a night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Cwmcuttan gets a thumbs up from many Funsters (including me), as does Jim's place.

The NT goldmine must be Dolaucothi? The camp site there is on my list of places to try (I've visited the mine for a few hours and intend to go back), so I'd be interested to know what it's like if you use it.

If you're a C&CC member...

1) you could stop off at the club site near New Quay since it's between Cardigan and Aberystwyth - I've stayed there and walked a small section of the nearby coastal path :thumb:

2) the site at Rhandirmwyn is reasonably close to Dolaucothi and there's a good pub up the road, but the roads around it can be pretty tight and twisty. Since you're on a fairly tight schedule I'd be tempted to use Cwmcuttan since it's much closer to the A/B-roads.

There are a couple of Brit Stops, one I know very well, the Black Lion in Pontrhydfendigaid. There are a few more in that area as well. Need to get the book.

Another Brit Stop, 310, is a little bit beyond the Elan valley on the A483. I've used it a few times - a pub/B&B with friendly staff that does a great curry :thumb:

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
These 2 sites are just a few miles south of Cardigan but are definitely worth the effort.

They are in Newport, Pemprokshire, one is in Parrog behind (and owned by) the Morawelon Waterfront cafe bar and restaurant down on the harbour/ estuary, Tel:01239 820565 to book.

The other is just outside Newport overlooking the estuary, (the views are stunning) and it's on Tycanol Farm, Tel:01239 820264 Mobile:07977 067726

Both are right on the Pembroke Coastal Path.

If you decide to stay on either one, then walk into Newport and go to the Royal Oak for food and drink.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back