Dometic fridge igniting problems (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Our fridge is struggling to ignite on gas.
It sounds like it is trying to draw up the gas to ignite but is sometimes failing to do so. The problem is worse at nights as during the day -currently in Spain where day temps reach 20degrees plus, although nighttimes are chilly to circa 5 - 7 - although the drawing noise is heard, it usually lights up after one attempt or two.
Have read about air being present in the system but all publications tend to say that this is remedied after a few switch offs and on. Unfortunately it is ongoing.
Any ideas please?
Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

When it lights does it work well and keep cool. Does the igniter click?.

Can you see the burner flame from the inside, sometimes there is a window in the back of the fridge low down, if you can see the flame is I burning even with a good shape. Sometimes you get soot and scale falling down the burner tube and it goes over the burner.

Don't know how handy you are but you can usually get at the burner assembly on the back of the fridge via the lower vent and you can have a look or even try to blow it clean if needs be.

If you don't know what you are doing don't mess with the gas side and turn the fridge off if you take the windshield off the burner to clean it.

Good luck.

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Hi

When it lights does it work well and keep cool. Does the igniter click?.

Can you see the burner flame from the inside, sometimes there is a window in the back of the fridge low down, if you can see the flame is I burning even with a good shape. Sometimes you get soot and scale falling down the burner tube and it goes over the burner.

Don't know how handy you are but you can usually get at the burner assembly on the back of the fridge via the lower vent and you can have a look or even try to blow it clean if needs be.

If you don't know what you are doing don't mess with the gas side and turn the fridge off if you take the windshield off the burner to clean it.

Good luck.

Martin

Thanks Martin.

The fridge definately works when it does ignite.i can also hear the gas burning when I put my ear to the lower vent. It's just that sometimes it does'nt want to ignite. Soot might be the issue. I did remove the vent and blew into the area but obviously I am not getting to it enough. Will try again.
Cheers for your thoughts.
Best regards
Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It could be an issue requiring a service of the gas jet, but alternatively, have you recently purchased gas locally - either bottle or fill-up if you have a refillable sytem. If so, the chances are you have got butane instead of propane and this does not vaporise well at low temperatures - it would tie-in with your 'nightime experience'. It may not be the whole story, but if there are any other weaknesses such as dodgy jet in the fridge or a failing bulkhead regulator (Truma are renowned for it) poor vaporisation could exacerbate the problem.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
It could be an issue requiring a service of the gas jet, but alternatively, have you recently purchased gas locally - either bottle or fill-up if you have a refillable sytem. If so, the chances are you have got butane instead of propane and this does not vaporise well at low temperatures - it would tie-in with your 'nightime experience'. It may not be the whole story, but if there are any other weaknesses such as dodgy jet in the fridge or a failing bulkhead regulator (Truma are renowned for it) poor vaporisation could exacerbate the problem.

Thanks for your insight. I had thiught that the gas we put in at Seville could have been Butane as temperatures there are okay for it. However, I had read that butane should be okay down to about 0degrees and althoug we came close, it never fell below 5 degrees c. Having said that, some of the butane may have been affected and hence the "choke". We have since stayed over at places with temps well over 10 degrees and it still happenned.
Probably a combination as you say.
Thanks again.
Best regards
Eric

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Our fridge is struggling to ignite on gas.
It sounds like it is trying to draw up the gas to ignite but is sometimes failing to do so. The problem is worse at nights as during the day -currently in Spain where day temps reach 20degrees plus, although nighttimes are chilly to circa 5 - 7 - although the drawing noise is heard, it usually lights up after one attempt or two.
Have read about air being present in the system but all publications tend to say that this is remedied after a few switch offs and on. Unfortunately it is ongoing.
Any ideas please?
Thanks
Hi
My only advise would be to arrange a full service on your fridge, you say you blew soot away from the flew but the chances are the burner will be packed and the flew NEEDS to be clean!

If you need any help please feel free to contact us.
www.johnscross.co.uk
01580 881288

Kind Regards

Glenn Harris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread