Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Gonna fit a SOG on the new van..
But what is and where can I get the right angle attachment that the pipe goes on, on top of the tank ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very funny ... Git !!! LOL !!! ::bigsmile:

I aint paying another ÂŁ90 for a muff fan, microswitch, 50cm washing machine drain pipe a jubilee clip and a cover !!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
To be fair if I had designed and put the SOG into production myself I would charge the prices they do.
I am however all in favour of DIY as you know and copying is the best form of flattery :thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
BTW
If I were to embark on such a mission I think I would adopt the Through the floor or roof method :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Will not know for sure which Way I will go at the moment but like you, I am not looking to go through the door.. I am hoping to go through the floor but will figure it out when I get the van home

So far, I have the fan ( 80mm ), the pipe and microswitch and will order a couple of the widgets as I have done a deal for a second tank now

To be fair to SOG, I did buy and have them fit the one on our existing fan.. But the guy who fitted it made a right mess of the tank door.. Put a big scratch right across it ( looks like the screwdriver slipped ) and instead of just saying sorry, he swore he had not done it !!
If that had not happened they would now be getting another ÂŁ110 off me, but once bitten and all that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Gonna fit a SOG on the new van..
But what is and where can I get the right angle attachment that the pipe goes on, on top of the tank ?

Hi John, our SOG is connected to the large yellow cap on the spout so you don't actually have to touch the cassette. The plastic angle piece on the flexy tube basically just pushes into a grommet drilled into the cap.

For emptying I pull the pipe out of the grommet and have a plug which fills the hole to prevent spillage while carrying the cassette. I also carry a spare cap incase of problems.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning John, I have a couple of posts on a DIY sog showing exactly what to do with pics posted on here :thumb:A bath overflow pipe fits straight onto the cassette :thumb:and the flex pipe works fine -the hardest job is positioning the micro switch ,but that was overcome by super glueing in place then screwing :thumb:-total cost was a couple of cups of coffee :thumb:::bigsmile:-Search for SOG in my posts -if no luck I will post all the picks again later --BTW I have a new complete SOG kit that I picked up off car boot sale for a fiver :Smile:-I am cleaning/clearing the part of the garage out today that has all the parts for a Sog DIY I can send it to you if you want -Fan pipe with at least one overflow end on and Micro switch also a 4 ins surface mount BBox to house fan in -not sure where the filter stuff is but I used from a cooker hood Don't have a blanking plate for the face of BB though but come Sunday I can beg one off a mate ::bigsmile::thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here's the pics John

Attachments

• Photo-0003.jpg
    Photo-0003.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo-0004.jpg
    Photo-0004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo-0005.jpg
    Photo-0005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 75
  • Photo-0006.jpg
    Photo-0006.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 72

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
a couple more

Attachments

• Photo-0007.jpg
    Photo-0007.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo-0008.jpg
    Photo-0008.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 44
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
This may be of interest to people, I have the Thetford C250 toilet and it has its own type of SOG unit fitted, you can buy a kit from Thetford if yours didn't come already fitted,
I decided to improve its operation in as much as you are expected to press the fan button manually first before opening the slide, when you are half a sleep you often forget to do it until you are ready to flush,this defeated the whole idea of venting noxious smells before using the loo,
I decided to fit a second fan downstream of the first and switched it on by a PIR as you enter the toilet,
This I also connected to a small strip of LEDs at low level so any nocturnal trips didn't disturb others sleeping by using the main lights,
It works a treat and is adjusted to switch off after four mins unless you trigger the PIR again:thumb:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thats exactly what we are fitting, as we have a large holding tank, to have the pir on it will mean that it will start automatically.

Still to fit it yet, think we are going out near the roof, was thinking of the floor, but thought the smell might hang around.

Pat

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thats exactly what we are fitting, as we have a large holding tank, to have the pir on it will mean that it will start automatically.

Still to fit it yet, think we are going out near the roof, was thinking of the floor, but thought the smell might hang around.

Pat

Our USRV had a 2" vent to the roof from the black tank , the natural draught means it doesn't need a fan .. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Very funny ... Git !!! LOL !!! ::bigsmile:

I aint paying another ÂŁ90 for a muff fan, microswitch, 50cm washing machine drain pipe a jubilee clip and a cover !!

No you are not. You are paying for all the tooling and excellent quality parts made with that tooling. I was very impressed with the quality.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellll.. At Peterborough I arranged to buy a spare cassette off of Scotties.. and it already has a vent fitted, so that is one less expense .. :thumb:

Love the idea of an LED or some such indicator.. The amount of times I have got up in the night, done the biz, and being half asleep left the bloody flap open !!
Get all tucked in and then wonder what the very faint whirring noise iS :Doh:

Terry, many thanks for that :thumb:
Will study what you have done and may be asking questions :winky:

Jim, trying to keep roof holes down to a bare minimum at the moment but lets face it, there are an awful lot of bloody good ideas and inventions that come via the USA RV scene and can appreciate the advantages of such a set up

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So far, I have the fan ( 80mm ),

You spin that up too fast and sure as hell you'll never suffer constipation. Problem is you may lose your manhood.

We will know this when you change your handle from Jaws to OneHungLow.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a SOG Type A DIY at the NEC but when I read the instructions about sawing the saddle bracket in half, I bottled out of fitting it. Perhaps I may now pluck up the courage to have a go :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Loose my man hood ? Too late mate.. See thread how long you been married.. I was completely emasculated some 39 years ago !!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, trying to keep roof holes down to a bare minimum at the moment but lets face it, there are an awful lot of bloody good ideas and inventions that come via the USA RV scene and can appreciate the advantages of such a set up

yes, I understand the reluctance to cut holes.. but can honestly say, in three years full time and often traveling with a near full black tank.. (that's a lot of shit :Eeek:) never had issues with smells..

maybe not suitable for every van.. but worth considering when routing the vent for your SOG ..it would keep odour away from near ground level... not pleasant on a hot day ..

I rerouted the exhaust pipe of a SOG to the roof of a friend's van who's cassette door, with SOG exhaust, was next to the hab door..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here you go John I found one of the two links ::bigsmile:
Broken Link Removed
terry

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
going to start rummaging in the skips the challenge will be make it for nothing no even a cup off coffee is it just a standard comp fan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just a standard comp fan

Not at all, the blades have an optimum shape to deflect particles of poo sucked out of the cassette and they are coated with unobtanium94 to stop any larger globules of poo, that may enter the pipe when going over rough roads, sticking to the blades.

We've all heard "when the sh$t hits the fan" but this does not apply to a SOG Master Fan.

I can see you and Jaws attacking your DIY efforts with an angle grinder to clean the impacted poo off the blades.

There was a case in California where the fan got so out of balance, when it was used on the move it ripped the cassette door off and that being attached to the cassette ripped the whole rear wall out and the poor woman was sat in the middle of the interstate looking bewidered with her knickers round her ankles ......

Right until a following RV hit her and splat. The interstate was closed for a week while the contamination was cleared off the highway. The funeral was a funny affair, everyone knew half the contents of the casket was particles of highway and many forms of road kill and playing "Highway to Hell" while the casket disappeared was just plain bad judgement.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not at all, the blades have an optimum shape to deflect particles of poo sucked out of the cassette and they are coated with unobtanium94 to stop any larger globules of poo, that may enter the pipe when going over rough roads, sticking to the blades.

We've all heard "when the sh$t hits the fan" but this does not apply to a SOG Master Fan.

I can see you and Jaws attacking your DIY efforts with an angle grinder to clean the impacted poo off the blades.

There was a case in California where the fan got so out of balance, when it was used on the move it ripped the cassette door off and that being attached to the cassette ripped the whole rear wall out and the poor woman was sat in the middle of the interstate looking bewidered with her knickers round her ankles ......

Right until a following RV hit her and splat. The interstate was closed for a week while the contamination was cleared off the highway. The funeral was a funny affair, everyone knew half the contents of the casket was particles of highway and many forms of road kill and playing "Highway to Hell" while the casket disappeared was just plain bad judgement.
well that's blown my idea bugger :cry:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I rerouted the exhaust pipe of a SOG to the roof of a friend's van who's cassette door, with SOG exhaust, was next to the hab door..[/QUOTE]

Please don't take this as a criticism but just how effective are the SOG units and carbon filters if you felt it necessary to move the outlet ? I admit I wouldn't fancy it exiting into my awning/seating area but I was under the impression it did away with smells or is that just inside the van, maybe you wouldn't want to be smoking sitting next to the vent ::bigsmile:
Are the computer type fans up to running in a damp atmosphere ?

Thanks, Graeme.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as aluded to in other posts, the idea is simple enough, just extract the stink from your van and pump it outside for everyone else to smell. lovely sat outside on a sunny morning with coffee and a bacon sandwich, then the motorhome next door starts blowing the smell of shit at you. lovely for those sat inside on the bog but antisocial to everyone near the extractor:winky:

oh and yes a computer fan will work just perfectly and if you get a quality one will run silently:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I rerouted the exhaust pipe of a SOG to the roof of a friend's van who's cassette door, with SOG exhaust, was next to the hab door..

Please don't take this as a criticism but just how effective are the SOG units and carbon filters if you felt it necessary to move the outlet ? I admit I wouldn't fancy it exiting into my awning/seating area but I was under the impression it did away with smells or is that just inside the van, maybe you wouldn't want to be smoking sitting next to the vent ::bigsmile:
Are the computer type fans up to running in a damp atmosphere ?

Thanks, Graeme.

I've never had a SOG, Graeme, but have often smelled others next to me. .. so not a big fan.. the carbon filter should neutralise the odour, but how many change them as required ?

Better as I said to vent to the roof where it will disperse in the air.. no filter needed.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
as aluded to in other posts, the idea is simple enough, just extract the stink from your van and pump it outside for everyone else to smell. lovely sat outside on a sunny morning with coffee and a bacon sandwich, then the motorhome next door starts blowing the smell of shit at you. lovely for those sat inside on the bog but antisocial to everyone near the extractor:winky:

oh and yes a computer fan will work just perfectly and if you get a quality one will run silently:thumb:
I am rooting my one to exit at the top of the van as I have been on the receiving end of the stink gowing to utilised the back ladder tubing as a conduit with the vent at the top of the ladder may al go to pot but that's the plan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back