Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having a mooch round ebay I came across the 'tandoor gas oven' (also goes by other names) and it got me thinking ....

If I use my hob-top grill/plate with a large lid (eg an inverted large saucepan, or the lid off a wok ... or even a wok itself!) ... I'd have an oven ... wouldn't I? :RollEyes: I know it wouldn't have the centre hold in the upper plate, but I think it should still work ....

Hmmmmmmm .... might have to have a play!!! :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• gourmet grill plate.jpg
    gourmet grill plate.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Gas Top Tandoor Pic 800x600.jpg
    Gas Top Tandoor Pic 800x600.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think you have just described a double skillet. :Confused:

Maybe not the full tandori effect with the DS though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, not the same as the double skillet as that is a sealed pan with the heat on the outside only, whereas the Tandoori allows the heat itself to go directly inside the pan, so should be quicker and pies etc crisper ... I'll have to have a go at at 'home made' one. ::bigsmile:

The below shows you how it works:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKA856qcPmw"]GAS OVEN TANDOOR 'GOT' Large - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• Naan Making on GOT 250x200.jpg
    Naan Making on GOT 250x200.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have an Omnia stove top oven which we bought a few weeks ago. By coincidence we are in Sweden right now where they are made:Smile:

Anyway, I can honestly say it is one of the BEST gadgets we have in the van! Today we have cooked Tea Bread and a white bread 'ring' and they are both the best we have ever cooked (even at home in a proper full size gas oven).

The Omnia is as expensive as a Double Skillet and just like that it does not look worth the money...........................until you have used one ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have an Omnia stove top oven which we bought a few weeks ago. By coincidence we are in Sweden right now where they are made:Smile:

Anyway, I can honestly say it is one of the BEST gadgets we have in the van! Today we have cooked Tea Bread and a white bread 'ring' and they are both the best we have ever cooked (even at home in a proper full size gas oven).

The Omnia is as expensive as a Double Skillet and just like that it does not look worth the money...........................until you have used one ::bigsmile:

Looks very good indeed, on ebay around £35 seems well priced to me.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I had one of these years ago(1980 ish)

http://www.harbenware.co.uk/dry-pan-and-glass-lid-26cm.html

and it was brilliant. I cooked cakes in it as well as the stuff it says on the website.

Might even get another one......

It does look good but better suited to frying I think. The advantage with the Omnia is that the separate heat ring stops the food from burning. We have cooked meat in the Omnia and it works well but it works BEST as a baking oven (perfect if you make bread and cakes as we do:Smile:)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just thought I'd mention for anyone who is after an Omnia oven that I saw them today when we popped into Brownhills, Newark, for a break on our way back home. It was a smaller one than usual (approx 2 litres) so more suited to a motorhome and I think it was £33.49 - a bit pricey but if it's what you want ... it isn't on their website accessories list so if you are interested give them a ring.

https://shopping.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/omnia/omnia-hob-top-oven-34796

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Looks good.