LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Does anyone know if this will fit under the passenger seat where the existing battery is on a Chausson 2010? Its difficult to know without removing the seat.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've got 2 under the bench seat (vented outside ) because one wouldn't fit under ours.
Sure someone will be along to say yay or nay on your model soon.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Bump

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dunno but where are you putting the second one ?
Is there nowhere to put them as a pair ?

If the base van is fiat/pug/citroen then its a 10 minute job to remove the seat.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
possibly but are you certain you only need a 6v battery? your van runs on 12volts so if using 6volt batteries they need replacing in pairs

from experience you are better going with a low profile (shorter battery under a cab seat.. prevents accidental short circuits and allows more air round them too

like this
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Managed to get the seat off and check the height of existing battery. Trojan 105 was too tall. Now ordered 2 banner 12v batteries in the hope it will cure my webasto low voltage problem. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If your battery voltage was high and the Webasto was faulting with low voltage, you need to check wiring and connections. Voltage drop occurs on startup when the glowplug operates, drawing max current. It can also occur after long periods of running due to gradual heat build up and increasing resistance over a long thin cable run or faulty connector.
Check your negatives too. A faulty common negative caused the same fault with our Chausson- fitted Webasto.
Do your lights pulse when the heater starts up?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Do your lights pulse when the heater starts up?

Yes they flicker a little. So far.. I have had a mechanic wire up a 2nd battery in parallel but the battery I foolishly bought was 2nd hand. Thought the problem was solved until we went away again 2 wks ago. Heater worked for an hr or so with tv and one lamp then we turned all off and went to bed. Next day we drove for 1hr 30min and that night we turned heating on, it lasted 20 mins or so then low voltage occured. Waited 5 min, turned ignition on restarted heating and it lasted approx. 50 min then low voltage again.
Had the mechanic out again, turned on heater, we waited for 25 min approx. and low voltage came up. 11.76 or so from memory showed at battery and same at heater yet webasto say 10.5 minimum. Mechanic coming back on Thurs when new batteries arrive.

Its a lovely MH but this problem is really getting mum down.:cry:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes they flickerwtle. So far.. I have had a mechanic wire up a 2nd battery in parallel but the battery I foolishly bought was 2nd hand. Thought the problem was solved until we went away again 2 wks ago. Heater worked for an hr or so with tv and one lamp then we turned all off and went to bed. Next day we drove for 1hr 30min and that night we turned heating on, it lasted 20 mins or so then low voltage occured. Waited 5 min, turned ignition on restarted heating and it lasted approx. 50 min then low voltage again.
Had the mechanic out again, turned on heater, we waited for 25 min approx. and low voltage came up. 11.76 or so from memory showed at battery and same at heater yet webasto say 10.5 minimum. Mechanic coming back on Thurs when new batteries arrive.

Its a lovely MH but this problem is really getting mum down.:cry:

Where did he put his multimeter negative probe? If he put it on a different negative to the heater, the voltage drop could still be caused by a bad connection on the negative side of the heater wiring. This would go unnoticed if another negative was used for the probe of the multimeter.
If your lights are pulsing, it is because they are suffering the same voltage drop as your heater. If the battery voltage was fine, the wiring is suspect!
CHECK YOUR NEGATIVES! The chances are all the circuits on one side of your van, including the heater and lights share the same negative path.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
exactly the same thoughts i had about this fault....bad connection to ground/negative. compound that with dodgy batteries no holding a charge and its what you would expect to see:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back