LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sooooo.. Starting off fresh with the new ( to us ) MH, I am reluctant to put a bolt on bike carrier on the back of it for various reasons

So I need info and opinions on tow bar mounted types

The bikes are quite heavy ( being electric ) so need something substantial

Of course, if someone has one for sale.... would rather give a fellow funster some of my hard earned than a stranger :winky: :thumb:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If your bikes are heavy then have a look at Thule carriers for your tow bar. There's a French version available a bit cheaper but you need to bear in mind that there could be some play in the tilt pin mechanism. With the Thule there isn't any play, it's precision made. It's called Thule Europower. Like all things you get what you pay for.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sooooo.. Starting off fresh with the new ( to us ) MH, I am reluctant to put a bolt on bike carrier on the back of it for various reasons

So I need info and opinions on tow bar mounted types

The bikes are quite heavy ( being electric ) so need something substantial

Of course, if someone has one for sale.... would rather give a fellow funster some of my hard earned than a stranger :winky: :thumb:
Atkins diet and electric bike, talk about opposing forces.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
PM replied to :thumb:
Age thing.. yesssssssss... I do have an age related problem. According to Woman I am 12 years old !!!!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have an Altea Strada towball mounted bike carrier to carry our 2 electric bikes, also being a Norfolk domicile, I'll even let you look at it if you want!

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
We have a Thule 916 towball mounted carrier for two Wisper ebikes and can highly recommend it.
The great thing being we have the home in storage so the carrier is used to get the bikes to the home on the back of the car then just swap it over. Plus if you sell you've still got the carrier, just need a towbar fitted.

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
bike rack

HI Jaws
I have a tow ball bike carrier and used to carry 2 electric bikes but it used to drop (tilt back) so had it modified so it bolts to the back plate and towball much more sturdy when traveling. And it is for sale. CUTFINGER:thumb:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I use a Thule tow bar carrier for electric bikes. It's a heavy duty job with the bike rails wider apart for electric bikes. Not the cheapest around but does the job ready well. Highly recommended.

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
bike rack

Hi cutfinger how much is the bike rack Thanks francour:Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have an Altea Strada towball mounted bike carrier to carry our 2 electric bikes, also being a Norfolk domicile, I'll even let you look at it if you want!

Yessss... but what about the bike rack ?? :winky:

HI Jaws
I have a tow ball bike carrier and used to carry 2 electric bikes but it used to drop (tilt back) so had it modified so it bolts to the back plate and towball much more sturdy when traveling. And it is for sale. CUTFINGER:thumb:

Cheers peeps.. Will let you know Friday if I may

Hav'nt you got a garage!!

Not any more !!!! Wellllll, one that is half height so not a lot of good for bikes really :Sad:

Hi cutfinger how much is the bike rack Thanks francour:Smile:

Jeezzz.. Perhaps you would care to jump in my grave too ? Poor show OM, poor show.....

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Happy to report that I am now well sorted in the bike carrier department :thumb:

Many many thanks to Dux Deluxe for coming through so brilliantly !!! :thumb::thumb:

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Bike rack for the heavier bike!

Could I ask what you ended up with? I've got a Thule rack that bolts on but it won't take the weight of our new leccy bikes. Bought a secondhand Maxxraxx kit but not very confident that it will be ok and issues with covers and number plate hangers!

What do people have that takes 2 x 30kg bikes safely and securely?

Last edited:

Doobray

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 22, 2014
Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Thule do a rack for electric bikes up to 60Kg but you need a towball having been using one for 2 years with no problems

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi our MH came with rear bike rack I use two electric bikes (mountain style and Dutch for wife) I carry them
on the bike rack as its rated at 60kgs, we do remove batteries my only issue is getting them on the rack but with bit of care it care be done,I also have a bike rack for two bikes that bolts onto the towbar it has a fitted light board got it from newark show cost around £60

Doobray

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 22, 2014
Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm looking to buy a rack as I have 2 electric bikes there is already mounts on the van 40cm apart so it looks as if a Fiamma Pro C will fit I would fit a towbar but as the van is a 2013 model there is no certified towbar available. Anyone tried 2 electric bikes minus batteries on a Pro C.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We carry 2 Electric Batribike Granite on the back of the Hymer they weigh 22 kgs each without the batteries attached. Although the rack is rated at 60kgs my worry was the flexing that 44/45kgs exerts on the rear wall the potential damage that it could cause.
So simple solution total cost approx £30.00 I think. Two down tubes
and weight sits on the chassis, used existing bolts didn't even drill a hole and comes apart and sits in bike rack when folded up.
See pic
IMG_0547.JPG

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
If a bike rack is rated at 60kg I don't see what the problem is
I will be carrying a Batribike Pro minus the battery which weighs 21.29kg
and a Axcess Shetland again without a battery at 20.2kg and do not expect any problems

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Couple of vans recently had the rear wall damaged carrying electric bikes one panel van had the rear doors bent. Rack capacity has nothing to do with it its the flexing the weight causes that does the damage.
Anyway you pay your money and take your choice.
Personally for the sake of £30.00 and a couple of hours work I'm not prepared to take the risk.:)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sooooo.. Starting off fresh with the new ( to us ) MH, I am reluctant to put a bolt on bike carrier on the back of it for various reasons.
We are looking at bike racks at the moment just wondered what are the reasons that you prefer a towbar mounted bike rack?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We both have electric bikes.. They are reasonably heavy.
We had a wall mounted carrier on the Miller that caused some damage when it worked loose and I did not notice.
I overcame the issue by fitting it as I would have done to start with, using a spreder right across the inside of the wall

On top of that, son in law ( 2007 Ci ) had the whole rear wall start to move ( he did carry 4 bikes all the time though )

But all that aside, the Autotrail has the spare wheel mounted on the back as well as a large window, so the rear wall would not have that much strength to start with
I have, in general, been extremely pleased with the Thule unit I bought from Dux.. Easy to use and never moves a so much as a millimetre

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So if you had the room and it was fitted correctly would you have one fitted on the back wall again or would you now go for a towbar model?

We have a garage at present, but the replacement does not have a garage just underfloor lockers, but we want to carry 2 bikes (one electric one not), we have not specced a towbar, but this thread has me thinking that it may be a better option?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We both have electric bikes.. They are reasonably heavy.
We had a wall mounted carrier on the Miller that caused some damage when it worked loose and I did not notice.
I overcame the issue by fitting it as I would have done to start with, using a spreder right across the inside of the wall

On top of that, son in law ( 2007 Ci ) had the whole rear wall start to move ( he did carry 4 bikes all the time though )

But all that aside, the Autotrail has the spare wheel mounted on the back as well as a large window, so the rear wall would not have that much strength to start with
I have, in general, been extremely pleased with the Thule unit I bought from Dux.. Easy to use and never moves a so much as a millimetre

Exactly the reasons I fitted 2 support brackets try repairing a rear wall for £30.00.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So if you had the room and it was fitted correctly would you have one fitted on the back wall again or would you now go for a towbar model?

We have a garage at present, but the replacement does not have a garage just underfloor lockers, but we want to carry 2 bikes (one electric one not), we have not specced a towbar, but this thread has me thinking that it may be a better option?

It would depend a lot on what the van was to be honest and how it had been constructed but in general I would have to say I prefer the tow ball mounted option

We actually have a low garage as well ( tag Autotrail ) so when we tow the car or the bike ( motorbike ) the electric bikes go in the garage.
When we first bought the Autotrail I had not really looked at how big the garage holes were, hence my original post, but.. Turned out they were pretty cavernous to say the least !

Upside and downside

The down side of ball mount

The towball mount rack is not really as convenient as the wall mount one as I do not leave it on when not in use, so have to mount it each time.. No biggy ( couple of minutes, but worth mentioning,
If you buy a good 'un ( unless you are dead lucky as I was ! and again I thank Dux !! ) they are far more expensive
You cannot tow a trailer while you have it on

The upside.

I actually have FAR more confidence in the thing. I have even used it ( through a weird necessity ! ) to shift a very large VERY heavy object about 10 miles and it still never moved a jot
It is easier to get the bikes on ( much easier ) and easier to see in the reversing camera .. That might sound odd, but as it is low down and further away from the camera I get a better perspective view
It is also easier to secure the bike to.. I can easily put security chain through the bikes, through the carrier and round the tow bar
Have had cause to get someone's bikes off of a wall mounted rack after they lost the keys to their locks, and doing it less than a couple of minutes without causing any damage or even noise was a bit of an eye opener for all !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back