Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
.Hi
We just paid our subs and joined the forum, we have used a family motorhome on and off for a number of years enjoying weekends away often involving motorbike rallies in places like Wales or the Kielder Forrest, in addition to longer holidays in Cornwall.

Last year we went a bit further afield and linked up two family holidays and a motorbike rally in Serres Greece. My brother left the Uk on his own in August in the Bessacarr E495 with a trailer full of motorbikes on the back and made a spirited drive down to Venice catching a ferry to Igoumenitsa Greece, meeting his family who had flown in to Thessaloniki airport.

They then enjoyed two weeks on the beach before driving up to Serres where a five star hotel was the base for a six day bike rally in the mountains my brother was an entrant in.

Yes I know it seems a bit strange,:whatthe: during the week weddings were performed with a backdrop of a race paddock :RollEyes: on the balcony you can see in the first pic, but times are tough in Greece and as the manager explained you do what you need to to survive.

We flew out and enjoyed the end of rally party and a few days together before my brothers family had to fly home to get the children back to school.

Now we could of caught the ferry back to Italy, but decided to travel back by road through Albania, Montenegro, BiH and Croatia etc over a few weeks. It was an eventful, enjoyable and at times stressful journey.

Here we are at the fabled chain ferry (as seen on Top Gear) by the Butrint Roman ruins in Albania.

I did ask on this forum for advice before the trip but received no replies,:cry:now this maybe because its bad form to ask as a visitor to the site, or perhaps not many folk get down that way ? it would be interesting to know, anyway I now have a little knowledge which may be useful to others.

We are in the planning stages of doing the same or similar holiday this year, that's probably enough for now.

Cheers John and Debbie.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome. Sorry you didn't get any answers to your questions... probably no-one knew the answers .... Hope you enjoy your time on here and find many people to share your experiences with. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
:fatbuddha:Hi paintman, welcome to MotorhomeFun.:fatbuddha:

We paid a visit to Butrint, Albania quite a few years ago now.:Cool:
I remeber the chain ferry.:Eeek: Taking a Motorhome on it is not for the faint hearted.:whatthe:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:party2::welcome::party2:

I suspect not too many people travel to Greece with their 'van. That's probably why you didn't receive any responses to your initial question(s).

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello :welcomefunster:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Hello John & Debbie welcome to Fun.
:welcomefunster:

Mel & Lieve

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Welcome,

OP
OP
paintman

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
:fatbuddha:Hi paintman, welcome to MotorhomeFun.:fatbuddha:

We paid a visit to Butrint, Albania quite a few years ago now.:Cool:
I remeber the chain ferry.:Eeek: Taking a Motorhome on it is not for the faint hearted.:whatthe:

Now that's a reasonable point of view, and having watched this clip I would tend to agree.::bigsmile:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3r9AdZBIvsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't get the link to work, search You Tube for Top Gear raft ferry for a quick
peak at the potential pitfalls of this ferry.

We did'nt go on it in the end, taking advice at the border we drove around a big circle to get there as a visit to the ruins is well recommended, we stopped the night right by the security guards shed at the ruins, and would recommend this as a safe wild camp option in this area.

Later that evening we heard heavy gunfire probably in the hills somewhere, the guard rushed over and using his only two words of English said 'NO PROBLEM':Eeek: those Albanians do love their guns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
paintman

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
Sorry I can't embed the link, try clicking this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9AdZBIvsQ"]Top Gear S16 - The Raft Ferry... - YouTube[/ame]

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hello and welcome to the house of fun.i am green with envy.you are one brave couple.i think you will fit right in.hope to meet you at a meet.oh and thanks for film clip.i can why you did not use it.:whatthe::whatthe::Eeek:

Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
Planning a trip to Greece via Albania - would welcome any thoughts you have. I came via the chain ferry four years ago, but travelling on my own by public transport (but no flying). I got a taxi from the frontier - wonderful old car, no springs, leather seats, one window winder handle which was passed round as needed, eight passengers who kept getting out and I thought I would be stranded in the middle of nowhere! he arrived at the ferry, carried my bags onto it, pointed across and said "bus". So I did that! I think I probably paid for everyone in the taxi!

Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
Thanks, I have, but I was interested to see the chain ferry!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back