And so the game of ferry finding starts again (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dover to where ever in France.. Cheapest options please folk ..

The highest I have had is the chunnel and the rest about the same.. so any suggestions ?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
DFDS over the years, has always been the best for us, even more so if someone has a "show code"......:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
dover to E4 no charge no ferry but plenty of fun hehehehehehehe

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

and a number of funsters locally to have a field day :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

seriously if not before their should be discount code available at the newbury show so watch out I am sure a willing funster will post it soon

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yessss... Have used Norfolk Line and the DFDS for many years now.. But with the replacement van tghe cost of the winter sojourn has trebled !!! ( From about £55 return to £167 )

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Yessss... Have used Norfolk Line and the DFDS for many years now.. But with the replacement van tghe cost of the winter sojourn has trebled !!! ( From about £55 return to £167 )

ouch.......................ouch..........................ouch

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
John, last year the cost for my van on DFDS was £46 return. The lowest I could find this year was exactly double that. I ended up booking with MyFerry (was Seafrance) simply because they offer a flexible ticket option for approx. £10 extra.

Booking with the caravan club made a vast difference in price last year. No so this year. The CC price is exactly the same as DFDS's website.

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Last week MyFerryLink was much cheaper than the rest.
but this is not always the case.

Mel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
L D Lines Newhaven Dieppe if you are heading down the west side of France.Saves the three hour drive from Calais to Rouen and if over 60 if you telephone you will get a 20% discount. BUSBY:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Are you pleased with the new van?

Pretty big aren't they?

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was just looking at Brittany Ferries Plymouth to Roscoff to save some France driving, as we are going head down the coast and in to Spain. Under £150 for the van and 2 adults. And saves a lot of driving and fuel/stopover costs getting across France. :) (Also saves me having to drive across the south of England.) :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I was just looking at Brittany Ferries Plymouth to Roscoff to save some France driving, as we are going head down the coast and in to Spain. Under £150 for the van and 2 adults. And saves a lot of driving and fuel/stopover costs getting across France. :) (Also saves me having to drive across the south of England.) :)

That makes sense as you live in Cornwall. Will save you at least two days driving and all that fuel....BUSBY::bigsmile:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have been looking at ferry prices, new haven to deippe is coming up £144 for after the Lincoln show ,I assume that's return. From n/w Norfolk only 7 miles difference between Dover and new haven , but more ferries a day at Dover. I never seem to find the special offers ha ha.:Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Are you pleased with the new van?

Pretty big aren't they?

Dunno !!!
I do not get it until the 16th ! ( was sposed to be the 17th but I will be manning a stall at the BMF then ! Bad enough being the Friday but good side is I will not have to help set up the stall :winky:

L D Lines Newhaven Dieppe if you are heading down the west side of France.Saves the three hour drive from Calais to Rouen and if over 60 if you telephone you will get a 20% discount. BUSBY:Smile:

LD lines from Dover to Calais are all under the DFDS pricing now.. tried them last night..

Will take a look at the MyFerry thing and see what that comes up with ..

The summer jaunt is not too bad at about £85 return .. it is the winter run that is the killer..
8+ metre van WITH a small trailer too.. About £160 !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Dunno !!!
I do not get it until the 16th ! ( was sposed to be the 17th but I will be manning a stall at the BMF then ! Bad enough being the Friday but good side is I will not have to help set up the stall :winky:

LD lines from Dover to Calais are all under the DFDS pricing now.. tried them last night..

Will take a look at the MyFerry thing and see what that comes up with ..

The summer jaunt is not too bad at about £85 return .. it is the winter run that is the killer..
8+ metre van WITH a small trailer too.. About £160 !

Its cheaper than it was 12 years ago. Dover Calais return with a car cost me £150 in 2002. BUSBY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was doing all my travelling on bikes back then.. return was £22.00 ! ( I happened to find an old receipt just the other day :winky: )

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi
It depends on where you are heading for in France as other funsters have said. We have found DL lines Portsmouth to Le Havre always good value but we never use it for the return as it's overnight ( sounds nice ) but always leaves late and they wake you up way before Portsmouth to sell you a breakfast etc. :Eeek:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
We are going dover - calais in july single for £44 then not booking return till later but if book a single back end of aug,,,still only £44 back....cheaper than booking a return as we can come back whenever.......::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi
It depends on where you are heading for in France as other funsters have said. We have found DL lines Portsmouth to Le Havre always good value but we never use it for the return as it's overnight ( sounds nice ) but always leaves late and they wake you up way before Portsmouth to sell you a breakfast etc. :Eeek:

France ? france is a lovely place to pass through :winky:

We usually head somewhat further afield .. This year we are either doing north Germany and up in to Poland ( where I wanna go ) or more likely, cos its where Woman wants to go, Croatia and maybe onward south until we run out of land :thumb:

We are going dover - calais in july single for £44 then not booking return till later but if book a single back end of aug,,,still only £44 back....cheaper than booking a return as we can come back whenever.......::bigsmile:

Yes, but is your rig the same length as ours ? ( 42 ft long inc the trailer !)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just tried Myferrylink.. Actually the dearest quote I have found.. It was even dearer than the chunnel !! ( and they are quoting for the journey on dfds boats too ! )

Quote was £133.75 !!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back