New wannabe full timer (1 Viewer)

L

lmjr

Deleted User
Hi there ::bigsmile:

I am very glad to have found your site! I have been thinking about going full time now for over a year, and this place has given me a lot of information and inspiration...

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to jump straight to an RV - I hope that thinking about doing this in a caravan while I save my hard earned pennies isn't frowned upon here? Looking at your "Cost" thread has helped a lot, and based on what I have seen there, I would hope to be able to change to a good sized RV within a year or so :Cool:

I am enjoying trawling through all the threads here, and seeing how happy most people are doing this. I look forward to joining you.

I will try to ensure that I don't repeat any questions, or post in the wrong place.

Cheers
Lee
:thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Lee

What sort of budget are you talking about

stew

OP
OP
L

lmjr

Deleted User
Hi Stew,

I reckon that with the money I can save on rent & bills, plus the return of my deposit, plus the sale of the caravan, added to a years worth of hardwork - I should be able to raise around £35k - £40k. I know that this isn't a lot in terms of RV's that are big enough to live in full time, but I am hoping that if I do this in steps that in a few years time I will have been able to upgrade again...

Thanks for your interest - and any ideas/opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Lee, £40k is absolutely a lot! You can get a lot of RV for that money; esp in today's economic climate. Most people think that RVs are waaay to expensive, they see images of £200,000 motorhomes and assume they are all that much money.

Very often you can pull on a site in an older RV, to those that don't know, you look like the the most expensive rig there, where in reality, most of the new A class Europeans cost MUCH more. New RV's are expensive, but they lose vast amounts in the first 5-10 years, but will go on for 15 or more years! Shop around with your 40k and you will be able to find an RV between 5 and 10 years old that will last you many years. Have fun and welcome to the site:thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi Lee

What sort of initial figure are you talking about? I know of a 30 footer stunning RV for sale at £10k. Caravans, unless you are talking about the Hobbies are not really that suited for fulltiming imho.

stew

OP
OP
L

lmjr

Deleted User
10k as an initial figure is within reach :Smile: I would be interested in knowing more if possible? I was advised by a friend who owns an RV that it ought to be above 27 feet for full timing, so this sounds good...

Cheers
Lee

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi Stew,

I reckon that with the money I can save on rent & bills, plus the return of my deposit, plus the sale of the caravan, added to a years worth of hardwork - I should be able to raise around £35k - £40k. I know that this isn't a lot in terms of RV's that are big enough to live in full time, but I am hoping that if I do this in steps that in a few years time I will have been able to upgrade again...

Thanks for your interest - and any ideas/opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lee

:Cool: THAT is MORE than enough to buy a decent RV. Unless of course you were thinking of buying NEW?
Welcome to MotorhomeFun. :winky:

OP
OP
L

lmjr

Deleted User
I wasn't thinking of new, just nice and big enough to live in... :Smile:
I think I have been looking in the wrong places by the sounds of things!

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I wasn't thinking of new, just nice and big enough to live in... :Smile:
I think I have been looking in the wrong places by the sounds of things!

:Cool: In that case? Book a trip to the USA. Buy an RV, tour for a while and ship it back. :winky:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
waste of money !

DONT get an rv unless you have got loads of dosh for fuel and don't mind looking for places to park it. i know that this will upset people with them, but horses for courses. i have a six berth autotrail that has a table for 4 people , the usual self contained showersyhower eyc and a rear lounge for looking at the view etc. it returns 25/30 mpg rather than 12 and you can empty the cassete toilet easily instead of through a pipe if you can find a site that can cope !!! also you can get around scotlands single track roads and cornwall without upsetting the locals. if i have upset anybody then too bad, that's my view !

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:if i have upset anybody then too bad, that's my view ! and entitled to it you are, obviously an accountant you are not :roflmto:. Your van will ahve cost probably £20k - £30k more than an RV and even at todays prices thats a lot of fuel.

As for roads if a bus can get down it so can an RV and as for campsites its not normally a problem

but hey everyone to their own

stew

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just like add my support to the above. The big RVs are lovely but the difficulty of parking, manoevering round narrow roads and the ever increasing cost of fuel needs to be considered.
Another point previously made however is that although there are spacious European vans, you don't get as much for your money as with the US RVs. Many spacious Euro vans do have quite limited payloads which you need to watch out for for long terming. Mine has over half a ton on the uprated chassis, though of course I take up most of that just by getting on board:ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
One needs to remember there are two types of fulltimers, those who sit on a site for most of the year and go to local rallies and an annual holiday and those who tour extensively. For the former an RV makes perfect sense and for the latter it does not. As for narrow roads, well the narrow roads of Devon and Cornwall do not stop articulated lorries or coaches, or even massive hay laden trailers so maybe it is not so much the vehicle as the way they are driven. Each to their own. An RV offers a lot of goodies for a fulltimer. Plus the space for a fairly "normal" life. Good luck with your purchase and new life.

Last edited:

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Good luck on hopes of full timing

Keep on planning, all things good take a while.

I've been planning for years, slowly coming to. Still working, but not far off getting out altogether. We are all ruled by circumstances , whatever anyone say. So hope yours come together in a positive way.

In my opinion an RV is not needed for fulltiming. They're o.k., but not imperative.

It all depends on your budget, keep in mind ongoing costs of staying on the road also.

Good luck.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Don't bother going to the USA to buy, get one here and haggle hard, trust me you'll get a bargain there plenty about

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
For fulltiming, many RVs have something that no European MH can offer - slideouts. The difference they make on site should not be understestimated. If you go for a C Class RV, with 2 or even 3 slides, they are not that much larger on the road than a large Euro MH, yet the difference in space on site is huge. Have a look on the Travelworld website Link Removed not necessarily with a view to buying from them, but just to give you an idea of the options with a s/h RV. There is at least one C-Class, 29', with a slideout, at under £20,000 for example. Worth a look just for info.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back