Help PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Water (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Our new Autosleeper symbol has a whale system fitted and has worked until we emptied the tank after Peterborough show. I have refilled the tank and switched on the pump which runs continuously whether the taps are on or off.
When the taps are switched on the pump runs but pumps no water out. It seems to me the system must be air locked but despite opening all taps and leaving pump running for a minute no water has appeared.

I have also tried adjusting the Whale pressure switch (tightening and releasing) all to no avail.

If anyone can help I would be grateful, if you are in northern France near Calais I am at Licques - Les Pomiers ACSI camp site.

Many thanks to my Funster friends whom I know will come rishing to my aid.

Norman

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
To be honest I do not know where the water tank is, but I am assuming the pump is in the tank and I don't see how it cannot be in the water as the tank is full?
There are no liftable covers in the floor of the van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Just wondering if this is a case of reverse polarity?

i.e is the pump running backwards?

That would explain why there's no pressure.

Happy to be wrong, but it's all I can think of.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If you can attach a pipe to one of the taps - open tap (cold) and with 12v off - pour water down it to 'prime' pump then reconnect 12v supply

Good luck

Pump will be DC so polarity on EHU won't matter

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
You have closed the boiler drain tap I presume ???

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Just wondering if this is a case of reverse polarity?

i.e is the pump running backwards?

That would explain why there's no pressure.

Happy to be wrong, but it's all I can think of.

Thanks I thought of that and have checked polarity is fine, though I might just switch off mains supply and try 12v. and see what happens.

No that made no difference!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In our caravan days we had a similar problem, I used to take off shower head and have a good suck, with pump running

It must be worth a try

If it is airlocked as it sounds like, when mine 'unlocked' there was a distinct change in pump tone

Stop sucking when you hear the change

Good luck, sorry if it wastes time

edit - thinking about I might have blown not sucked!!

if first didn't work, try blowing, it might just push an airlock out

Last edited:
OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
If you can attach a pipe to one of the taps - open tap (cold) and with 12v off - pour water down it to 'prime' pump then reconnect 12v supply

Good luck

Pump will be DC so polarity on EHU won't matter

Thanks, regrettably they are all mixer taps but the shower hose did have some water in it which I sent back but it has made no difference.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Happened to me a couple of times.. I simply open the shower tap, unscrew the head and suck on that ( hard ! ) and it works every time :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes it's definitely suck not blow. This has happened to me just once, otherwise fine. Make sure the mixer is at the cold end as sucking through the hot tank is not likely to work, nobody has that much suck.:Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Close all the taps, the open the cold one nearest the tank/pump first when water comes our without sprurting, close it and do the next one, gradually moving the air along the pipe until the last one. /By then the hot water tank should have filled, so go back and with the cold water taps closed open the nearest hot tap to the hot water tank, clear the air, close it and move to the next tap etc. Job done I hope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Close all the taps, the open the cold one nearest the tank/pump first when water comes our without sprurting, close it and do the next one, gradually moving the air along the pipe until the last one. /By then the hot water tank should have filled, so go back and with the cold water taps closed open the nearest hot tap to the hot water tank, clear the air, close it and move to the next tap etc. Job done I hope.

I have tried this but with no success, but could it be I have not let the pump run long enough? I have let it run for a minute.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it takes a while Norman but don't worry you don't need water wine is so cheap you can wash your dishes in it, hee hee and drink bottled water

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Happened to me a couple of times.. I simply open the shower tap, unscrew the head and suck on that ( hard ! ) and it works every time :thumb:
suggestion;

Jaws a brilliant: I sucked whilst the pump was running and I got a mouthful of water for my trouble, I repeated this process a couple of time and the pump kept running but the only water that came up the spout was what I had sucked up.
Either there is a problem or I should have sucked longer and more often?

Norman

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The pump could be need replaçing ?

Even though the impeller is turning the blades could of sheared off hence noise but no output. I'd still pursue the airlock though

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I think,that if I were in your position,I would be looking for the nearest M/Home dealer or repair shop. The campsite should know someone ::bigsmile:

Mike.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I had something similar in Cornwall 2 years ago, I discovered I'd filled the main storage tank to fast and there was an air lock was in the tank.

Drained the tank completely and then refilled slowly and everything was then satisfactory.

The pump used to take quite a long time to prime and pump the water around even when the tank was filled correctly.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I had something similar in Cornwall 2 years ago, I discovered I'd filled the main storage tank to fast and there was an air lock was in the tank.

Drained the tank completely and then refilled slowly and everything was then satisfactory.

The pump used to take quite a long time to prime and pump the water around even when the tank was filled correctly.

Seems a simple solution so will give it a try, it might not work but we can't be any worse off for trying,

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
suggestion;

Jaws a brilliant: I sucked whilst the pump was running and I got a mouthful of water for my trouble, I repeated this process a couple of time and the pump kept running but the only water that came up the spout was what I had sucked up.
Either there is a problem or I should have sucked longer and more often?

Norman

Oddly, something someone said earlier is not quite true.. I should have picked up on it earlier

All you are trying to do is cause a bit of a vacuum in the delivery system.
If you do it with the cold water tap on then yes, you are going to keep on sucking water and it could take several ( and I mean several ) sucks to get things going

OK, so normally this does work but as yours seems particularly stubborn I would try this.

Use the hot tap but attach a hose to the shower tube.. Ideal is one of the water pipes you get with a rubber end on it so it fits different taps.
Make sure it is well sealed on.

Now, with the hot tap open start sucking. When you can suck in no more bend the pipe to seal it off. Grab a breath and start sucking again.. Repeat add infinitum until you can feel the vacuum building up ..
That should work just fine.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
A thought here, has the pipe come off the pump these submersible pumps have plastic clips on the pipe and they do sometimes drop off.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds more like the impeller has stuck or broken on the pump. if you get it running by suction now, be sure the problem will come back. find an accessory shop and buy a new submersible pump and fit it is my suggestion.

if you have a submersible in tank pump, then the tank will definitely have an access hatch fitted to service it

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi,Norman sorry to hear you have aproblem with your new a/s,hope you get things working soon will watch with interest.Enjoy your holiday.
J@J.:Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
edit - thinking about I might have blown not sucked!!

if first didn't work, try blowing, it might just push an airlock out

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Sorry. I know it's a serious thread but that made me laugh. I hope Norman read your full answer before sucking on the pipe....:Blush: I'll go away now.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Blush::Blush: I know this is probably a daft answer, but I am TRYING to help...... I had a full weekend with no water because of an air lock before someone told me to open the taps whilst switched to HOT water and wait until air locks clear and only then turn the taps to the COLD water position and then wait for that to clear. The air locks won't clear until they are clear in the Hot water position.

Also, can you hear the pump running?

Sorry, as I say ... I just do things a woman way.:Blush::Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if run dry some submersible pumps (i think whale are one as it happens a lot on caravan systems) get a small air bubble in the impeller chamber and the cure is a few sharp taps on the pump body, or gently tap the pump on the tank wall, to dislodge it........if you can access the pump.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
:Blush::Blush: I know this is probably a daft answer, but I am TRYING to help...... I had a full weekend with no water because of an air lock before someone told me to open the taps whilst switched to HOT water and wait until air locks clear and only then turn the taps to the COLD water position and then wait for that to clear. The air locks won't clear until they are clear in the Hot water position.

Also, can you hear the pump running?

Sorry, as I say ... I just do things a woman way.:Blush::Blush:

Joy, Thanks for that, I have tried running the pump with the hot tap open for 2 minutes and it has made no difference, so this time I don't think its going to work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back