Meet in Ypres belguim (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Morning guys I asked the question about a meet in Ypres belguim. A few people showed an interest so I'll ask who would definitely be up for it.best being there for the Saturday as there's a market there every Saturday. If enough people go and if anybody is interested there are tours for the battle fields.(just an idea).i have a friend who owns a restaurant in the square so maybe if enough go that's the food sorted. Or u can just do your own thing just up to you.so if people are interested could u answer this post. Then as I say if we get enough people we can then sort out the dates. Cheers guys. :thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Morning guys I asked the question about a meet in Ypres belguim. A few people showed an interest so I'll ask who would definitely be up for it.best being there for the Saturday as there's a market there every Saturday. If enough people go and if anybody is interested there are tours for the battle fields.(just an idea).i have a friend who owns a restaurant in the square so maybe if enough go that's the food sorted. Or u can just do your own thing just up to you.so if people are interested could u answer this post. Then as I say if we get enough people we can then sort out the dates. Cheers guys. :thumb:

What about the Christmas market time, we went last year, parked down a street just to the side of the menin gate, free , loads of spaces, easy walk into town, probably going again this year, starts about 10 dec:thumb:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
What a good idea. We go next Thursday!
Which is the restaurant?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Restaurant

What a good idea. We go next Thursday!
Which is the restaurant?
Old tom it's called been using it for at least 12 yrs. meet one or two ww1 vets there yrs ago had a chat I came out white as a ghost. Some of the story's. So as I said I think it's a great place for history and just to remember. As Harry patch said ( war is stupid).

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Am off to Ypres on Monday 12th May on start of the WW1 and WW2 battlefields in Belgium, Holland, and France, lasting about a month with joining in on the D day celebrations in France on June 6th, does anyone now the address or coordinate's for the camp site in the town of Ypres please, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Am off to Ypres on Monday 12th May on start of the WW1 and WW2 battlefields in Belgium, Holland, and France, lasting about a month with joining in on the D day celebrations in France on June 6th, does anyone now the address or coordinate's for the camp site in the town of Ypres please, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Don't know the campsite, but the aire type thing we use you head up to menin gate from square then you have to turn right just before it go round the gate in the one way then as you are the other side facing it turn left and you are there, sounds complicated but isn't, basically it's as you are coming towards the square don't go through the gate but turn left and there are loads of hard standings each side of the road alongside the canal

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Here you go Garry. Coords in the title box.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Campsite in ypres

The campsite in Ypres is called camping jeugdstadion bolwerkstraat 1 Ypres.it open 24 hrs with a self booking in machine it's a great wee site.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Subject to Date put us down for the meet please.
Mel & Lieve

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We've often stayed on Leopold 111 Laan, and if the camp site is full, the leisure centre will let you overnight in their coach park.........if you ask nicely of course. There are wooden pillars which blocks the road up near the leisure centre, so best to go in via Chaser's directions.

Cheers,

Jock.

Attachments

• P1020056.jpg
    P1020056.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 30

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I forgot to add..........

Shuggy, it would depend upon dates and times for us, before committing to anything.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Dates

I forgot to add..........

Shuggy, it would depend upon dates and times for us, before committing to anything.

Cheers,

Jock.
just putting feelers oot jock never done a meet before so just wanting to know who would be interested first. Then maybe dates to follow.

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
I'd love to go but it's unlikely that the dates will suit but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

Dot

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Flatpackchicken, thats a pity, we leave on Monday.
The useful part of the site is that it has different sections. There is an aire type part and a touring part with bigger pitches. We usually stay on the aire but this time we're going with SIL so need a bit more space and have booked a tourist pitch.
We've also stayed on the road as Chaser suggests and it's very quiet but of course with no facilities.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Flyingscotsman2, thanks for Old Tom. We often just choose a bar at random so personal recommendation is useful.
A bar we have used on several occasions is just inside the walls at the Ramparts cemetery. It's an easy walk from the campsite but I can't remember its name. It's quite small but full of locals and friendly. If you ask for a token behind the bar you can get access to a small but well kept museum round the back. A worthwhile visit.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Flyingscotsman2, thanks for Old Tom. We often just choose a bar at random so personal recommendation is useful.
A bar we have used on several occasions is just inside the walls at the Ramparts cemetery. It's an easy walk from the campsite but I can't remember its name. It's quite small but full of locals and friendly. If you ask for a token behind the bar you can get access to a small but well kept museum round the back. A worthwhile visit.
yes mate I have been in that one as well as I said I find it a really good place to vist I feel proud to be British wen I go there and very humbled all the soldiers who died in that area makes me very proud of them.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Flatpackchicken, thats a pity, we leave on Monday.
The useful part of the site is that it has different sections. There is an aire type part and a touring part with bigger pitches. We usually stay on the aire but this time we're going with SIL so need a bit more space and have booked a tourist pitch.
We've also stayed on the road as Chaser suggests and it's very quiet but of course with no facilities.

Thanks for the info, may see you around somewhere out there as going for a month and touring Belgium/Holland/France and D Day landing sites for the 6th June, and home about the 15th June area Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Flatpackchicken, I'm afraid ours is a flying visit this time. SIL only has a long weekend so were doing the budget 5 day crossing on the tunnel.
We plan to go again towards the end of August and into September when we'll turn right at Calais and go towards Normandy and the N French coast.
Bryn

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thanks for the info, may see you around somewhere out there as going for a month and touring Belgium/Holland/France and D Day landing sites for the 6th June, and home about the 15th June area Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Hi Flatpackchicken just wondering Did you see the post regarding the French authorities closing off part of Normandy on the 5/6th June & ticket entry etc ? :thumb:

I am doing the tour, can you post your itinerary, where you stayed etc :thumb:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I have just come back from Ypres. We stayed for 3 nights at camping Jeugdstadion on the motorhome section. We had booked and I am glad we did as the lady on reception said they were booked solid for weeks ahead as was the next nearest campsite 14km away. Apparently it's because of the 100 year celebrations starting this year.We saw lots turned away.
It's a short walk to the Menin gate and we saw lots of motorhomes parked down the side road where the coaches park.
The evening ceremony was packed on the Tuesday evening when we went.
We lost count of the coaches they filled the road from the sports stadium up to the Menin gate.
The museum in the market square is worth a visit.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
We were there a few weeks back and, as mentioned above, we were told that the campsite is booked solid for the latter part of the year.

The peace bike ride (34km - map in reception) is a superb but tiring day out. Trouble is that every time we stopped to study the map and read the information on it we were immediately surrounded by locals asking if we needed help.

Fantastic place. Love to go back so would be interested.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ramparts museum and bar :thumb: go thar often when we visit

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Subject to the dates we would definitely be interested, we cycled to Ypres from a campsite in France last year and would love to go back and spend more time there. ::bigsmile:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
When we went we prebooked the jeugstation campsite before we arrived. We also arranged a tour with Salient tours, who run a book shop in centre of town, The guy was very good, and can arrange tours with a minibus too. Thoroughly recommend the tour.

Pat

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When we went we prebooked the jeugstation campsite before we arrived. We also arranged a tour with Salient tours, who run a book shop in centre of town, The guy was very good, and can arrange tours with a minibus too. Thoroughly recommend the tour.

Pat
the camp site jeugstation will not be taking group bookings Frome 2014/2018 owing to high demand owing to many anniversary's of different campaigns I know this as I tried to make a booking for my cadet unit to camp they are fully booked for the remembrance ceremony's for the next two years
there are other camp sites around the aria that may take group bookings you may have to look round but not impossible
bill:thumb:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
yes I guess that could be the case, but if you want to go to the town and to the menin gate at night you really could do with being local.

Pat

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
IEPER (YPRES) BELGIUM - CAMPSITE JEUGDSTADION

[ame]http://youtu.be/Y8onhUA420s[/ame]

:france::france::france: