UK Motorhome Information, Motorhome facts, American RV, Forums, Reviews, Sales, Campsites


 

Go Back   MotorhomeFun > NUTS & BOLTS & RECOURCES > TECH/MECH GENERAL
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

TECH/MECH GENERAL Discuss anything technical or mechanical that doesnt easily fit into the other sections.

Vehicle and Leisure Batteries

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 14:11   #1 (permalink)
Funster
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Funster No : 17870
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntingdon, Cambs
Interests: Rugby, canoeing, Photography
MH Type: C Class
MH Model: Autocruise Startrail
Years Motorhoming: I'm a newbie
Posts: 62
Thanks: 11
Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Default Vehicle and Leisure Batteries

Our bus has recently come back from work at Swift (hah!) and, ever since, we have had problems with starting in that if the vehicle is left for over a week then it will not turn over.

Looking at the two batteries fitted (1 in the cab (Vehicle battery?) and one in the belly locker (leisure battery?), they both have the same code, namely LB6110L. When I google this code then the description is for a leisure battery.

Does this mean that I now have two leisure batteries fitted and thus the problem in starting?

Sorry about the silly question, but since dealing with Swift I am beginning to doubt my own sanity.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 14:17   #2 (permalink)
Funster
 
cmcardle75's Avatar
 
Funster No : 21386
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Reading
MH Type: Classic C Class RV
Posts: 446
Thanks: 2
Thanked 123 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Our bus has recently come back from work at Swift (hah!) and, ever since, we have had problems with starting in that if the vehicle is left for over a week then it will not turn over.

Looking at the two batteries fitted (1 in the cab (Vehicle battery?) and one in the belly locker (leisure battery?), they both have the same code, namely LB6110L. When I google this code then the description is for a leisure battery.

Does this mean that I now have two leisure batteries fitted and thus the problem in starting?

Sorry about the silly question, but since dealing with Swift I am beginning to doubt my own sanity.
Either you have two leisure batteries and haven't located the engine battery, or someone is using a leisure battery as an engine battery.

Even if this is the case, that leisure battery is rated for around 750CCA, which would start even a large high compression diesel. If it is not working, you either have a high drain somewhere that flattens the battery, or the battery is knackered. (The former often leads to the latter).

Obviously, if replacing the battery replace with an engine one rather than leisure.

I've got battery isolators on mine and just disconnect the batteries when leaving. None of my electronics/alarms etc seem to care.
cmcardle75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmcardle75 For This Useful Post:
Binky (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
Geo
Trader - Funster
 
Geo's Avatar
 
Funster No : 35
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mansfield,Notts
About Me: Motor Vehicle Engineer Mot Testing Station and Vehicle Repair Centre Owner & Authorised Examiner
Interests: Retired Chairman, East Midland Auto
MH Type: A class RV
MH Model: Damon Challenger 355
Years Motorhoming: 35 +years with breaks
Posts: 8,238
Thanks: 251
Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,578 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I too suspect you havn't found the engine battery yet
By in the cab do you mean under a seat or floor panel or in the engine bay itself
If under the seat or floor area it is most likely a second leisure battery two the same is a good sign
Open your bonnet and look for a third battery in there#
This will be the one going flat and preventing starting
You dont say what age the batteries/vehicle is/are or what work you have had done
G
f6c and Binky like this.
__________________
If a Man speaks in a forest, and there is no Woman to hear him
Is He Still Wrong

Geo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geo For This Useful Post:
Binky (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Funster
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Funster No : 17870
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntingdon, Cambs
Interests: Rugby, canoeing, Photography
MH Type: C Class
MH Model: Autocruise Startrail
Years Motorhoming: I'm a newbie
Posts: 62
Thanks: 11
Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I too suspect you havn't found the engine battery yet
By in the cab do you mean under a seat or floor panel or in the engine bay itself
If under the seat or floor area it is most likely a second leisure battery two the same is a good sign
Open your bonnet and look for a third battery in there#
This will be the one going flat and preventing starting
You dont say what age the batteries/vehicle is/are or what work you have had done
G
It's a 2010 Peugeot Boxer and what I believe to be the vehicle battery is under a panel in the passenger footwell. The vehicle went back to Swift to have new locker doors fitted due to high damp readings (it was with Swift for 10 weeks - but that is a whole different saga). They had moved some of the cabling/alarm wires to fit troughs on the floor behind the locker doors, so I am assuming that the battery was unhitched/removed then. It just seems coincidental that the battery/charging problems started when it came back from Swift, but I suppose the battery could have become u/s whilst it was sitting around for so long.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:36   #5 (permalink)
Funster
 
wizzer59's Avatar
 
Funster No : 6340
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englishman in Mid Wales
About Me: Just turned fifty ish & married to my wonderfull wife Jen.
Interests: Fishing, walking, wildlife,camping
MH Type: Coachbuilt
MH Model: Autosleeper Pescara
Years Motorhoming: Not long enough
Posts: 1,361
Thanks: 977
Thanked 197 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Wouldn't worry to much about them both being the same as most batteries are the same even if badged as leisure, Marine or starter
__________________
Tim

wizzer59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:44   #6 (permalink)
Funster
 
Gromett's Avatar
 
Funster No : 15452
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
About Me: Solo, Fulltimer and Self builder.
Interests: Computers, Science, Music
MH Type: Self Build
MH Model: Self Build
Years Motorhoming: Since 2005
Posts: 5,826
Thanks: 563
Thanked 1,123 Times in 769 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzer59 View Post
Wouldn't worry to much about them both being the same as most batteries are the same even if badged as leisure, Marine or starter
Not quite. The cranking amps can be different. I got the wrong battery in my van once and it took forever turning over before it started (brand new battery fully charged) Swapped it for one with the correct cranking amperage and it starts in under a second.

PS: Both were starter batteries. So even two batteries from the same manufacturer can be different internally..
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Iím not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try - Homer J Simpson

Blog: http://www.fulltiming.info - Fulltiming and Self Build Blog
Gromett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:54   #7 (permalink)
Funster
 
callumwa's Avatar
 
Funster No : 14968
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
About Me: Merchant Navy
Interests: Travelling, Sport, Music, Fun
MH Type: Coachbuilt
MH Model: Home-Car a581
Years Motorhoming: 4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Posts: 3,813
Thanks: 271
Thanked 823 Times in 681 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
It's a 2010 Peugeot Boxer and what I believe to be the vehicle battery is under a panel in the passenger footwell. The vehicle went back to Swift to have new locker doors fitted due to high damp readings (it was with Swift for 10 weeks - but that is a whole different saga). They had moved some of the cabling/alarm wires to fit troughs on the floor behind the locker doors, so I am assuming that the battery was unhitched/removed then. It just seems coincidental that the battery/charging problems started when it came back from Swift, but I suppose the battery could have become u/s whilst it was sitting around for so long.
Our van is a 2009 Pug Boxer.

The one under the panel in the passenger footwell is the starter battery...

__________________



Callum
callumwa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to callumwa For This Useful Post:
Binky (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 20:04   #8 (permalink)
Funster
 
wizzer59's Avatar
 
Funster No : 6340
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englishman in Mid Wales
About Me: Just turned fifty ish & married to my wonderfull wife Jen.
Interests: Fishing, walking, wildlife,camping
MH Type: Coachbuilt
MH Model: Autosleeper Pescara
Years Motorhoming: Not long enough
Posts: 1,361
Thanks: 977
Thanked 197 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromett View Post
Not quite. The cranking amps can be different. I got the wrong battery in my van once and it took forever turning over before it started (brand new battery fully charged) Swapped it for one with the correct cranking amperage and it starts in under a second.

PS: Both were starter batteries. So even two batteries from the same manufacturer can be different internally..
Shoulda bought a leisure one
__________________
Tim

wizzer59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Design by vBSkinworks
 
 
MotorhomeFun Shop
Autogas2000 -Refillable LPG solutions for the Motorhome
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Pure Water From Your Tank
Free Fun Stickers
Don't buy a Motorhome before you read this guide
Johns Cross Motorcaravans
Garage run by Geo