UK Motorhome Information, Motorhome facts, American RV, Forums, Reviews, Sales, Campsites


 

Go Back   MotorhomeFun > NUTS & BOLTS & RECOURCES > TECH/MECH GENERAL
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

TECH/MECH GENERAL Discuss anything technical or mechanical that doesnt easily fit into the other sections.

Saggy Bottom Sorted

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-10-2012, 16:33   #1 (permalink)
Funster
 
Snowbird's Avatar
 
Funster No : 6422
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Liverpool.
About Me: Retired,to busy for work.
Interests: Sea fishing,Long haul travel.
MH Type: A Class
MH Model: RMB Silver Star 650D
Years Motorhoming: Since 11-05-2000
Posts: 7,628
Thanks: 1,713
Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,392 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Default Saggy Bottom Sorted

No, its not what you thought. My Merc 410 chassis was sagging a bit at the rear what with all the stuff in the garage and when I hooked my buggy trailer on. So having recovered from the initial shock of the price of an air suspension kit, which did NOT include gauges and pump at almost 600 without labour I decided to attack the leaf springs.
Having taken them off and delivered them too a company in the Midlands who have re tensioned them and put in an extra leaf complete with new extended U bolts and painted like new, am well pleased with the result and the old girl sits up as perky as she did when new. All for the princely sum of 150.
The problem with motorhomes is that unlike the commercial vehicle chassis that they are built on, they are always loaded and this weakens the springs over time.
The company I used has been trading for many years and not only can I recommend them, but they have promised me a funster discount. So if any of you are thinking of lifting your rear ends send me a PM and I will give you the contact no.
Jim, JockandRita, JJ and 5 others like this.
__________________
The drive is the adventure! The destination is just to get fuel.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
Snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-10-2012, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Funster
 
FIDGET's Avatar
 
Funster No : 16300
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Isle of Wight
About Me: We are Ann & Terry Retired couple with excitable cocker spaniel
Interests: Dog Walking, M/hing, Country Music
MH Type: A Class Pilote Reference
MH Model: Pilote Reference 622 A.Class
Years Motorhoming: Since 1979
Posts: 1,429
Thanks: 356
Thanked 379 Times in 327 Posts
Default

Hi, My good lady could do with an uplift front and back ( seems as ladies get older bits head south. ) Dont suppose they can help.
beerdrinker1 likes this.
__________________
'The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have.

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
FIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 06:16   #3 (permalink)
Funster
 
Snowbird's Avatar
 
Funster No : 6422
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Liverpool.
About Me: Retired,to busy for work.
Interests: Sea fishing,Long haul travel.
MH Type: A Class
MH Model: RMB Silver Star 650D
Years Motorhoming: Since 11-05-2000
Posts: 7,628
Thanks: 1,713
Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,392 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Tis a strange phenomenon eh Terry. Also a very touchy subject to discuss with them.
FIDGET and beerdrinker1 like this.
__________________
The drive is the adventure! The destination is just to get fuel.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
Snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 10:24   #4 (permalink)
JJ
Funster
 
JJ's Avatar
 
Funster No : 2459
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ansiao, Portugal
About Me: A Full Time Pensioner. Ex street performer and bramble grower.
Interests: Football, Frog Catching, Comedy.
MH Type: A Class
MH Model: Hymer 660S and Self Built Iveco
Years Motorhoming: over 35 years
Posts: 10,003
Thanks: 2,928
Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,557 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDGET View Post
Hi, My good lady could do with an uplift front and back ( seems as ladies get older bits head south. ) Dont suppose they can help.
May I respectfully suggest that the "air bag" route might be more suitable than the "re-tensioned steel" route in this case... unless of course you were thinking of your own needs too...

JJ
Snowbird, FIDGET and beerdrinker1 like this.
__________________
Drive, Park, Live, Move On, Motorhoming.

Their = belonging to them. Their van...
There = a position. There is their van...

If you are really bored... my blog is www.wagonman2000.blogspot.com
JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 11:16   #5 (permalink)
Funster
 
Stephen & Jeannie's Avatar
 
Funster No : 3842
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gobowen near Oswestry !!
About Me: Geriatric refusing to roll over !!!
Interests: Cooking, reading, travelling !!!
MH Type: coachbuilt
MH Model: auto-trail scout
Years Motorhoming: 9 years !!!!
Posts: 3,588
Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 555 Times in 444 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
May I respectfully suggest that the "air bag" route might be more suitable than the "re-tensioned steel" route in this case... unless of course you were thinking of your own needs too...

JJ

Ever the diplomat JJ !!!!!
Snowbird, FIDGET and beerdrinker1 like this.
__________________
Carpe Diem... :

Keep on Truckin'.......
Stephen & Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:47   #6 (permalink)
Funster
 
John & Joan's Avatar
 
Funster No : 10851
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Full Time on the road
About Me: John & Joan are retired, We both enjoy Naturism, John has caravanned and Motorhomes since 1974
Interests: Amateur Radio, Sea Fishing (Joan)
MH Type: A Class
MH Model: 1992 Hymer S700
Years Motorhoming: 8 years this time
Posts: 740
Thanks: 48
Thanked 377 Times in 233 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
No, its not what you thought. My Merc 410 chassis was sagging a bit at the rear what with all the stuff in the garage and when I hooked my buggy trailer on. So having recovered from the initial shock of the price of an air suspension kit, which did NOT include gauges and pump at almost 600 without labour I decided to attack the leaf springs.
Having taken them off and delivered them too a company in the Midlands who have re tensioned them and put in an extra leaf complete with new extended U bolts and painted like new, am well pleased with the result and the old girl sits up as perky as she did when new. All for the princely sum of 150.
The problem with motorhomes is that unlike the commercial vehicle chassis that they are built on, they are always loaded and this weakens the springs over time.
The company I used has been trading for many years and not only can I recommend them, but they have promised me a funster discount. So if any of you are thinking of lifting your rear ends send me a PM and I will give you the contact no.
We snapped a rear spring on our 1992 S700 Hymer on the 410D chassis. It was only found when the garage jacked it up to do some work on the rear brakes.

We fitted two new rear springs however these had to be imported VOR from Germany and cost us 1500 plus fitting.
At that time we could find no local reparer for the springs in the North East.

John
__________________
Home is where we park it.

<Our Blog> Full Timing Travel notes and where we have stayed.
John & Joan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 10:12   #7 (permalink)
Funster
 
stcyr's Avatar
 
Funster No : 16005
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Normandie
About Me: with Caroline since 1979
Interests: MH, sailing, France
MH Type: A class
MH Model: dethleffs globetrotter A-class
Years Motorhoming: On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Posts: 1,298
Thanks: 107
Thanked 341 Times in 279 Posts
Default

We fitted a set of Grayston spring-assisters on the Dethleffs.
They transformed the handling and restored original ride-height
stcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 12:03   #8 (permalink)
Funster
 
Snowbird's Avatar
 
Funster No : 6422
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Liverpool.
About Me: Retired,to busy for work.
Interests: Sea fishing,Long haul travel.
MH Type: A Class
MH Model: RMB Silver Star 650D
Years Motorhoming: Since 11-05-2000
Posts: 7,628
Thanks: 1,713
Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,392 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Joan View Post
We snapped a rear spring on our 1992 S700 Hymer on the 410D chassis. It was only found when the garage jacked it up to do some work on the rear brakes.

We fitted two new rear springs however these had to be imported VOR from Germany and cost us 1500 plus fitting.
At that time we could find no local reparer for the springs in the North East.

John
For future reference John. Jones Springs, Darlaston West Midlands are your men. The man told me he can collect and deliver almost anywhere in the UK for 20 by courier. As I said earlier, for the best price PM me
__________________
The drive is the adventure! The destination is just to get fuel.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
Snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowbird For This Useful Post:
f6c (29-10-2012)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Design by vBSkinworks
 
 
MotorhomeFun Shop
Autogas2000 -Refillable LPG solutions for the Motorhome
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Pure Water From Your Tank
Free Fun Stickers
Don't buy a Motorhome before you read this guide
Johns Cross Motorcaravans
Garage run by Geo