UK Motorhome Information, Motorhome facts, American RV, Forums, Reviews, Sales, Campsites


 

Go Back   MotorhomeFun > THE MOTORHOME FUN COMMUNITY > MOTORHOME CHAT
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

MOTORHOME CHAT Ask questions and engage in general motorhome chat and advice.

Far too much choice

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 18:28   #1 (permalink)
Funster
 
DAVIDG58's Avatar
 
Funster No : 24833
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bolsover, Derbyshire
About Me: 50 something, desperate to retire and MH
Interests: Walking, Birdwatching,
MH Type: Hymer A Class
MH Model: S800
Years Motorhoming: not long enough
Posts: 697
Thanks: 188
Thanked 157 Times in 101 Posts
Default Far too much choice

I am looking to add a solar panel and a satellite system, ideally at the same time, I am possibly naiive and think the solar panel bit is the easy bit, I have found Detroit Solar, local to me and seem good value, with no negative comment to be found. I am looking at a 140W solar panel, and a Zen Rad automatic satellite, I have not heard of this make and keep seeing Oyster everywhere, should I pay the extra for an Oyster or AN Other? David
DAVIDG58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 18:51   #2 (permalink)
Funster
 
atlantisbird's Avatar
 
Funster No : 20274
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Near Bridlington
About Me: Married to Ann for 44 years
Interests: travelling and diy
MH Type: New Bentley C Class
MH Model: Bentley Indigo
Years Motorhoming: since 2012 in own van
Posts: 190
Thanks: 32
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDG58 View Post
I am looking to add a solar panel and a satellite system, ideally at the same time, I am possibly naiive and think the solar panel bit is the easy bit, I have found Detroit Solar, local to me and seem good value, with no negative comment to be found. I am looking at a 140W solar panel, and a Zen Rad automatic satellite, I have not heard of this make and keep seeing Oyster everywhere, should I pay the extra for an Oyster or AN Other? David
Hi David,
Detroit Solar fitted our Zen Rad at a meet in South Wales and we have been satisfied with it so far.
We were advised by them as we wanted to make sure we could get signal in southern Europe and we got a larger one for the small difference in price.
Very professional company the staff knew what they were doing and we were delighted with the care the used on our new van.
I would also ask them if the 140W is necessary it may be too much.
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry
atlantisbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 19:04   #3 (permalink)
Funster
 
DAVIDG58's Avatar
 
Funster No : 24833
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bolsover, Derbyshire
About Me: 50 something, desperate to retire and MH
Interests: Walking, Birdwatching,
MH Type: Hymer A Class
MH Model: S800
Years Motorhoming: not long enough
Posts: 697
Thanks: 188
Thanked 157 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantisbird View Post
Hi David,
Detroit Solar fitted our Zen Rad at a meet in South Wales and we have been satisfied with it so far.
We were advised by them as we wanted to make sure we could get signal in southern Europe and we got a larger one for the small difference in price.
Very professional company the staff knew what they were doing and we were delighted with the care the used on our new van.
I would also ask them if the 140W is necessary it may be too much.
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry
Many thanks, I have opted for the larger panel as we have 2 x 80A batteries fitted and with the larger panel there is an option to put a small charge to the engine battery at same time, seems like a good benefit for fairly small extra 's (less than 100 more). I plan to 'do europe' with my MH so have also opted for the larger dish. I have been told you can't run 2 x TV's at the same time which seems a shame, but we have to be led by those that know?? then hope they do!! David
DAVIDG58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 20:20   #4 (permalink)
Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales
 
Johns_Cross_Motorhomes's Avatar
 
Funster No : 1134
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Sussex 01-580-881288
About Me: AutoTrail Swift AutoCruise Pilote & Hobby Main Dealer. Battle Road(A21)Robertsbridge East Sussex
Interests: Boats
MH Type: Swift
Years Motorhoming: 1995
Posts: 8,555
Thanks: 562
Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,893 Posts
Default

Have a chat to member on here.

Peter
__________________
Get TEN PER CENT Funsters Discount with coupon code funster2 at website check out www.johnscross.co.uk and http://www.fiammacare.com Everything for motorhomes and camping.For free technical advice, just call us on 01-580-881288 . AutoTrail,, AutoCruise, Swift and Pilote Main Dealer. 3 years free habitation services on all vans supplied by us.
Johns_Cross_Motorhomes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johns_Cross_Motorhomes For This Useful Post:
DAVIDG58 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Funster
 
DAVIDG58's Avatar
 
Funster No : 24833
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bolsover, Derbyshire
About Me: 50 something, desperate to retire and MH
Interests: Walking, Birdwatching,
MH Type: Hymer A Class
MH Model: S800
Years Motorhoming: not long enough
Posts: 697
Thanks: 188
Thanked 157 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Cross_Motorhomes View Post
Have a chat to member on here.

Peter
Sorry, excuse my ignorance, how do I contact him, I thought I could just click on the link. David
DAVIDG58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:16   #6 (permalink)
Funster
 
Xabia's Avatar
 
Funster No : 15031
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Nottinghamshire
MH Type: A Class
MH Model: Hymer B544SL
Years Motorhoming: Since 1996
Posts: 297
Thanks: 46
Thanked 145 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDG58 View Post
Sorry, excuse my ignorance, how do I contact him, I thought I could just click on the link. David
http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

He is doing an offer on solar installation at the Newark show, 360 for I think an 80 watt panel fully fitted. No doubt do a deal on bigger panels if that is what you need.

Mike
Xabia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xabia For This Useful Post:
DAVIDG58 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 21:18   #7 (permalink)
Funster
 
DAVIDG58's Avatar
 
Funster No : 24833
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bolsover, Derbyshire
About Me: 50 something, desperate to retire and MH
Interests: Walking, Birdwatching,
MH Type: Hymer A Class
MH Model: S800
Years Motorhoming: not long enough
Posts: 697
Thanks: 188
Thanked 157 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike405 View Post
http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

He is doing an offer on solar installation at the Newark show, 360 for I think an 80 watt panel fully fitted. No doubt do a deal on bigger panels if that is what you need.

Mike
Thanks for that, I have found a way to send him a message on here, will have a look at his web site now. David
DAVIDG58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:39   #8 (permalink)
Funster
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Funster No : 2913
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ilfracombe, Devon
About Me: Racing disgracefully towards the grave, hee hee
Interests: Smallholding, ham radio
MH Type: "A" Class
MH Model: Amazon Ambassador
Years Motorhoming: since 1967
Posts: 10,275
Thanks: 4,121
Thanked 2,796 Times in 2,160 Posts
Blog Entries: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantisbird View Post
I would also ask them if the 140W is necessary it may be too much.
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry
You can never have too much solar on dull days and wet days you will struggle.
DAVIDG58 likes this.
__________________
The Lazy Buzzard Campsite
Ilfracombe, Devon, EX348NY
Phone 07812385915 for directions or to book

don't take away someones hope, it may be all they have


Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Design by vBSkinworks
 
 
MotorhomeFun Shop
Autogas2000 -Refillable LPG solutions for the Motorhome
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Pure Water From Your Tank
Free Fun Stickers
Don't buy a Motorhome before you read this guide
Johns Cross Motorcaravans
Garage run by Geo