UK Motorhome Information, Motorhome facts, American RV, Forums, Reviews, Sales, Campsites


 

Go Back   MotorhomeFun > THE MOTORHOME FUN COMMUNITY > INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

INTRODUCE YOURSELF Don't be shy, tell us a little about yourself. You will get a warm welcome.

Too Much Too Soon???

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 08:49   #1 (permalink)
Funster
 
Cocoro's Avatar
 
Funster No : 18774
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Europe
About Me: Professional Ruminator!
Interests: Fly and Sea Fishing and FOOOD!!
MH Type: C Class
MH Model: Carthago Mondial 58 DRH
Years Motorhoming: Since 2003
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Default Too Much Too Soon???

Hi Everyone......exhausted!

Picked up the 'new to us' Carthago Mondial 58DRH from Hollenstedt, North Germany and stayed the first night onsite to sort ourselves out. No issues so left the next day to stay in Lubeck for a couple of nights to get a feel for what we have lumbered ourselves with. It's big. It's a beast! I've never been over six metres before and don't mind admitting to some anxiety but it was quite comfortable to drive with those bouncy, hydraulic seats to enterain us. I haven't yet got over the shock I experience every time we stop and step out and I try to take in what has been travelling along behind me! Why so big? Long story, things kinda got outta hand and before I knew it...........for another post perhaps. The internal debate vis Integrated v Alkoven.......oops! 'A' Class v 'C' Class continues in my head as I write! But it is like new, really like new. Hardly used, 32,000km in six years! The engine bay took my breath away so much I had to internalise it to avoid giving the salesman that 'non-negotiable' stance they often take on seeing the glee you ooze on the first viewing.

Some snow and the lack of any security on the van made the trip into Lubeck a tad anxious but all ok. Next, a six hundred kilometre drive down to Walldurn for our appointment with Goldschmidts for Hydraulic Levelling System and a 110lt Gas tank. You are learning a little of me now. Comfort before security, I really should take note of that each time I check my watch while siteseeing.

They finished the work yesterday evening with a late flourish due to the tank being too large to fit and the smaller one arriving late. All in all, a good experience but being sooo tired we sit here now looking out at the deepening snow and wonder if this is our new permanent location! We'll get moving soon. One more coffee, check the google maps, a snack maybe and maybe a tea and then, for sure, we'll get going............

This is my third van the first two being integrated Hymers B544 1992 and B524 2001. I travel in them during the summer time in Germany and around Europe. I repair Hail Damaged cars for a living and follow the storms around Europe and sometimes NZ & Oz, repairing the damage by hand and eye. Stunningly lacking in any form of intellectual stimulation but kind of semi retired (I wish!) but it is at the very least seasonal as it only hails large enough in the summer. Twelve hours in a big box, twelve hours in a small one, six or seven days a week. I'm as white as a ghost by September!

Thinking of Vanbitz for an alarm now, must call them as my window for fitting will be quite small I think. I'm a security freak and professional ruminator so I guess it has to be Vanbitz eh!?

All this with a herniated lumber disc and sickening sciatica which has me checking under the van like a geriatric using any and every hinge, flap or protrusion on the side of the van for assistance as I lower myself knee by knee! Will fit the Lumber Discectomy in around accessory purchases for the van.

Next stop Kiel on Thursday 13:00 for consultation with surgeon! Then, maybe then, the uk. We have four weeks Export Plates so we have until the 9th Feb. Now, maybe another coffee......is it lunchtime yet??

Nice to meet you all.

Regards

Jeff & Claire
Cocoro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoro For This Useful Post:
beerdrinker1 (19-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 16-01-2013, 09:19   #2 (permalink)
Funster
 
MikeandCarolyn's Avatar
 
Funster No : 1860
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Worle,North Somerset
About Me: Mike,ret'd Photographer: Carolyn,Research Officer
Interests: FoodWine,Birding,Travel,Photography
MH Type: Coachbuilt
MH Model: LMC Liberty 582 Start
Years Motorhoming: 4 years
Posts: 1,555
Thanks: 730
Thanked 373 Times in 317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoro View Post
Hi Everyone......exhausted!



All this with a herniated lumber disc and sickening sciatica which has me checking under the van like a geriatric using any and every hinge, flap or protrusion on the side of the van for assistance as I lower myself knee by knee! Will fit the Lumber Discectomy in around accessory purchases for the van.

Next stop Kiel on Thursday 13:00 for consultation with surgeon! Then, maybe then, the uk. We have four weeks Export Plates so we have until the 9th Feb. Now, maybe another coffee......is it lunchtime yet??

Nice to meet you all.

Regards

Jeff & Claire
All sounds like fun
I had a nerve root block in R L4 in sept and have had no pain since.Am sposed to be having Spinal Decompression at some point (removal of part of disc that is pressing on the nerve)
Good Luck
Mike.
MikeandCarolyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 09:42   #3 (permalink)
Funster
 
Taran_Las's Avatar
 
Funster No : 6057
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Near Mold North Wales
About Me: IT dinosaur.
Interests: Reading, music, people & travelling
MH Type: C class
MH Model: Autocruise Starspirit 2004
Years Motorhoming: Since 2009
Posts: 4,580
Thanks: 1,304
Thanked 1,035 Times in 937 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoro View Post
Hi Everyone......exhausted!

Picked up the 'new to us' Carthago Mondial 58DRH from Hollenstedt, North Germany and stayed the first night onsite to sort ourselves out. No issues so left the next day to stay in Lubeck for a couple of nights to get a feel for what we have lumbered ourselves with. It's big. It's a beast! I've never been over six metres before and don't mind admitting to some anxiety but it was quite comfortable to drive with those bouncy, hydraulic seats to enterain us. I haven't yet got over the shock I experience every time we stop and step out and I try to take in what has been travelling along behind me! Why so big? Long story, things kinda got outta hand and before I knew it...........for another post perhaps. The internal debate vis Integrated v Alkoven.......oops! 'A' Class v 'C' Class continues in my head as I write! But it is like new, really like new. Hardly used, 32,000km in six years! The engine bay took my breath away so much I had to internalise it to avoid giving the salesman that 'non-negotiable' stance they often take on seeing the glee you ooze on the first viewing.

Some snow and the lack of any security on the van made the trip into Lubeck a tad anxious but all ok. Next, a six hundred kilometre drive down to Walldurn for our appointment with Goldschmidts for Hydraulic Levelling System and a 110lt Gas tank. You are learning a little of me now. Comfort before security, I really should take note of that each time I check my watch while siteseeing.

They finished the work yesterday evening with a late flourish due to the tank being too large to fit and the smaller one arriving late. All in all, a good experience but being sooo tired we sit here now looking out at the deepening snow and wonder if this is our new permanent location! We'll get moving soon. One more coffee, check the google maps, a snack maybe and maybe a tea and then, for sure, we'll get going............

This is my third van the first two being integrated Hymers B544 1992 and B524 2001. I travel in them during the summer time in Germany and around Europe. I repair Hail Damaged cars for a living and follow the storms around Europe and sometimes NZ & Oz, repairing the damage by hand and eye. Stunningly lacking in any form of intellectual stimulation but kind of semi retired (I wish!) but it is at the very least seasonal as it only hails large enough in the summer. Twelve hours in a big box, twelve hours in a small one, six or seven days a week. I'm as white as a ghost by September!

Thinking of Vanbitz for an alarm now, must call them as my window for fitting will be quite small I think. I'm a security freak and professional ruminator so I guess it has to be Vanbitz eh!?

All this with a herniated lumber disc and sickening sciatica which has me checking under the van like a geriatric using any and every hinge, flap or protrusion on the side of the van for assistance as I lower myself knee by knee! Will fit the Lumber Discectomy in around accessory purchases for the van.

Next stop Kiel on Thursday 13:00 for consultation with surgeon! Then, maybe then, the uk. We have four weeks Export Plates so we have until the 9th Feb. Now, maybe another coffee......is it lunchtime yet??

Nice to meet you all.

Regards

Jeff & Claire

They may be able to fit it through a door


__________________
Taran.
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. Gustave Flaubert

Last edited by Taran_Las; 16-01-2013 at 10:11.
Taran_Las is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 09:55   #4 (permalink)
Funster
 
Cocoro's Avatar
 
Funster No : 18774
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Europe
About Me: Professional Ruminator!
Interests: Fly and Sea Fishing and FOOOD!!
MH Type: C Class
MH Model: Carthago Mondial 58 DRH
Years Motorhoming: Since 2003
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandCarolyn View Post
All sounds like fun
I had a nerve root block in R L4 in sept and have had no pain since.Am sposed to be having Spinal Decompression at some point (removal of part of disc that is pressing on the nerve)
Good Luck
Mike.
Hi Mike - Mine happened on 9th November and so far I've avoided the injection relief as I've heard little to recommend it until now. Spinal decompression sounds like the Lumber Discectomy I'm looking for. Keyhole surgery to remove the herniated part of the disc. Instant relief apparently!! Cant wait for NHS so must pay for op myself Gulp! Think of the van accessories I could buy with that money!?!?!? Hey Ho.

I bought an inversion table as I read that helped and it does sometimes provide some relief but not a cure for sure. Mine is a very large herniation. Had an MRI in Kiel last November which is where it happened. A lot of tutting and pouting as the doctor pointed to the large dark splodge on the screen and privately visualised the accessories he could buy for his yacht after I had paid. What joy!
beerdrinker1 and Fireman Sam like this.
Cocoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 10:01   #5 (permalink)
Funster
 
Touchwood's Avatar
 
Funster No : 17874
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NE England
About Me: Retired ventilation engineer
Interests: photography, sailing, snooker
MH Type: Coachbuilt
MH Model: Compass Avantgarde 400RL
Years Motorhoming: Effectively a newcomer
Posts: 635
Thanks: 395
Thanked 57 Times in 52 Posts
Blog Entries: 7
Default

Hi and welcome!

For a first post that takes the biscuit - I'm always fascinated to read of "different" lifestyles, and yours certainly qualifies. At first I thought "Hail damaged" was a misprint - I know it can and does happen but I'd never imagined that someone could make a living specialising in hail damage repair. I presume you carry a pretty extensive set of tools/equipment/materials with you? Interesting too that you follow the storms around - I presume you've gained a fair knowledge of meteorology in the process, and have an idea of where and when hail storms are likely to strike? Useful - but in your case not for avoiding them!

I hope all goes well for you.
__________________



You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.
Touchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 11:38   #6 (permalink)
Funster
 
JOHNSTEY's Avatar
 
Funster No : 14957
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edinburgh
About Me: Very Retired Arts Manager/Designer
Interests: Travel, history and motorhoming.
MH Type: Low Profile
MH Model: Knaus Sun Ti 650MF
Years Motorhoming: Our fourth glorious year!
Posts: 397
Thanks: 59
Thanked 99 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Just a thought but shouldn't you re-inforce your new vans roof!!
JOHNSTEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:17   #7 (permalink)
Funster
 
Cocoro's Avatar
 
Funster No : 18774
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Europe
About Me: Professional Ruminator!
Interests: Fly and Sea Fishing and FOOOD!!
MH Type: C Class
MH Model: Carthago Mondial 58 DRH
Years Motorhoming: Since 2003
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood View Post
Hi and welcome!

For a first post that takes the biscuit - I'm always fascinated to read of "different" lifestyles, and yours certainly qualifies. At first I thought "Hail damaged" was a misprint - I know it can and does happen but I'd never imagined that someone could make a living specialising in hail damage repair. I presume you carry a pretty extensive set of tools/equipment/materials with you? Interesting too that you follow the storms around - I presume you've gained a fair knowledge of meteorology in the process, and have an idea of where and when hail storms are likely to strike? Useful - but in your case not for avoiding them!

I hope all goes well for you.
I carry very little in the way of extensive equipment. Just a golf box of various rods and small hand tools and a couple of special LED lights. We need very little really but you could go mad and buy all sorts of fancy tools, non of them powered by the way. A few bars, a few wire and hand tools and a couple of gadgets to access different parts of the interior and your done. As far as meteorology goes, I know nothing of it. There are a couple of websites that report large hail storms but some specialised ones that what we call 'Brokers" subscribe to and they shoot off and sell their services, catch the gigs and then call around to see who is available. Sometimes, frustratingly, not in that order! Only ever seen one hail storm in ten years and it was so light it just tap danced on the roof of my van and that was that. I always go on the theory that lighting doesn't strike twice though I know it occasionally does. We very rarely see a customer twice so I feel quite safe that my van will never get hit. Shouldn't have said that eh?
Cocoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:39   #8 (permalink)
Funster
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Funster No : 5144
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: south yorkshire
About Me: married to Sylvia,4 grown up kids & 8 wonderful grand kids and one great grandson
Interests: motorcycles,photography,beer
MH Type: low profile
MH Model: Burstner t641
Years Motorhoming: 4 years
Posts: 359
Thanks: 312
Thanked 111 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Hi you two and welcome,
sounds like an interesting and fun lifestyle,would love to see some before and after photo's of your work (and play) where do spend the winters,somewhere warm ?
beerdrinker1 likes this.
kickstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Design by vBSkinworks
 
 
MotorhomeFun Shop
Autogas2000 -Refillable LPG solutions for the Motorhome
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Pure Water From Your Tank
Free Fun Stickers
Don't buy a Motorhome before you read this guide
Johns Cross Motorcaravans
Garage run by Geo