Well, we got Helga back from the dealer, apparently all mended and sorted. No heavy rain or snow since then so we will have to wait and see if they are as good as their word. Had a bit of a stress time as they just wouldn't return our calls they day before collection, and on the day of collection... we just wanted to know it was worth us travcelling 70 miles each way or if the repairs weren't finished we would wait. Mrs Spenders eventually shouted a bit and we got the answer. Have to say it didn't inspire confidence.....
Onthe weeken of 16th Feb Mrs S and step-daughter had to visit relative in Newcastle, so I booked onto the Durham Grange Caravan Club site for the Sunday night. I travelled up there and got plotted up, and on their way back to Yorkshire they called in and we all had tea. On arriving at the site I tried to plug into the electric hook-up.... being a newbie I only followed the instructions on the post, which said to insert the plug into the socket and twist t didn't say you had to wait for a very audible 'click' to ensure connection!! Needless to say, I thought there must be a fault (couldn't possibly be me!).
What to do.... I rang the dealer, who this time rang back straight away, then again, then later when the problem was sorted! It appears that Mrs S's shouting is more effective than I thought! I then had a very pleasant night at the site, which I can recommend to any other readers.
On returning home, I was informed of a family emergency involving a poorly Grandfather, so I volunteered to take father and me to the Tredegar House Caravan Club site at Newport for two nights. The van performed faultlessly on the journey down, with a back of the envelope calculation indicating it was doing approx. 30 mpg. More detailed checks to be made in future but that looks good!
No problems during my stay at Newport, and the reeturn trip was good also.
Last weekend we went to Abbey View House Camping & Caravan Club certified site outside Whitby for one night. Had a Calor Lite 6kg bottle fitted on the way up, and once on site couldn't get it to work. Only later did I realise that the valve wheel on top of the cylinder has to be turned on as well as the pipeline switch in the locker! DOH! As they say, it's a learning experience! Just gotta master the water system, the awning, and other unknown things yet to come, but it's been fun so far.
Well, after what felt like months of searching, visiting dealers and shows and trawling through a multitude of internet sites, we finally chose the type and layout that we wanted, then I started hunting for the elusive one. A couple of false starts, ones that got away, until I finally found it, at a dealers in Nottingham.
Deposit paid and a week or so later, went to collect it. The dealer seemed to take an age explaining it all, but on reflection afterwards it seemed to have been a blur that went over our heads. Got it home to find out there'd been a mix-up over the storage site so it had to stay at my parents for the first couple of days. Later moved to the storage site and got to grips with the gates/locks etc. Went out for a little trip to get used to it, which went well.
Mrs Spenders was enjoying herself getting all the bits and pieces to kit the van out for our first trip, which was booked to be a short jaunt to Bridlington, to dip our toes in the water so to speak. On the Thursday afternoon, six days after taking delivery of the van, I went to collect it to take it round to a mates to get a bit of extra tuition on the systems involved. I just jumped in the drivers seat and off I went.
Imagine my surprise and horror on arriving at my friends when I found that the rear longe was awash with water!!!! It had obviously entered via the rear rooflight and had splashed over the seats and floor. A quick call to the dealers and they urged us to return it to them to investigate the problem, so that what I did. Dear old Dad followed me down and then brought me back to Yorkshire, where I now sit, motorhomeless, waiting for the repair to be completed!