PASSAU INTO THE CZECH REPUBLIC

Published by funflair in the blog funflair's blog. Views: 374

INTO CZECH REPUBLIC VIA AUSTRIA

After a couple of nights in Passau it was time to head for our pre arranged camping site in the Czech Republic and the start of the Tandem rally, Czech Republic is a country we have not been to before and one that required motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes to use a Premid box much like the GoBox for Austria, Jen is a bit of a worrier so all this new stuff together with the fact that we were going to go through a tiny part of Austria and I had no intention of getting a GoBox when we were going nowhere near a motorway had her wel and truly twitchy.
The drive out of Passau following the Danube for a while was lovely and then while still in Germany we passed the first Czech/Austrian toll box station but I didn't want to get one until we were properly into the Czech Republic, She soon calmed down when we hit Austria and drove through some typical Austrian rolling countryside and we were obviously not going to go anywhere near a motorway.
We crossed the border on a relatively minor road but just a few hundred metres across the border and in the middle of nowhere there was a small shopping complex which without stopping looked like it was 99% tat.
Our destination was Frymburk on the side of Lake Lipno and as we followed the river towards the lake it was total chaos with canoeists and white water rafters carrying their boats up and down the road, as a retired white water canoeist I was getting quite excited and trying to look at the river which looked like a quality bit of continuous white water.
Eventually it all calmed down a bit and we entered the town at the foot of the lake and followed an superb road along the lakeside with an excellent cycle and roller blade path between us and the lake, this is fully surfaced and illuminated at night.
Anyway we got to the site courtesy of the Co-Pilot sat nav app that I down loaded before leaving as our TomTom app does not do Czech Republic, as a side issue I am getting used to Co-Pilot and it has some good features so I wil have to see which one I go back to when we get home.
The site camping Frymburk is Dutch owned and they speak English so no problems checking in, we are certainly not the best linguists around but it has to be said that the Czech language is not the easiest to pick up so if English doesn't get you what you want a bit of German usually works, we have learned the basics please, thank you, yes, no Coffee and Beer, white wine in "bile vino".
Anyway back to the site and I think the pictures will speak for themselves.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

BIKES AND CANOES

Well we did come here for the Tandem rally so it's only right that we actually get out on the bike, we arrived on the Saturday so the short Sunday ride was about 28 miles, by this time and by the power of the internet I had worked out that all the white water mayhem down the road was a Czech national slalom event for which they open the sluices of the dame and let lots of water down, running parallel to this is the rafting and general white water playing about further downstream as it would be a shame to waste the water.

image.jpg

Cramming onto the ferry to start the first ride around the bottom half of the lake and the white water bit.

TBC
Irishrover likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment