Month 8 October

Published by John & Joan in the blog John & Joan's blog. Views: 130

We decided to give wild camping in Northumberland a try this month.

Our First trip however was to Birmingham on the 3rd to Conrad Andersons for a service on our Gasparini Energy 20 LPG Generator. The generator had done about 400 hours. We had an hours meter fitted so that we could tell just how much we had used it. The service involves taking the generator from its cradle under the van and splitting the case to get at the works. With it being two stroke the exhaust gradually blocks up and impairs performance so we had a new one fitted as they are impossible to clean. The spark plug was replaced. The fitter did comment that ours was one of the cleanest he had serviced and we put that down to using only the recommended Fully Synthetic two stroke oil.

After the days work on the 5th We then went to Stoke Bruerne to a CL for a few days. This is beside the Grand Union canal and we checked out the Museum and went for a walk along the canal. WE have friends who live in the village that we met at El Portus in 2007 so we had dinner with then one night and than drove north again on the 7th.

We went wild camping on the Northumberland coast on the 12th. We stayed on the car park at Hadstone that night and the next. During the day we went for walks along the beach. It was chilly but enjoyable. As we were getting ready to move off a gentleman from Northumberland County council came to the van and told us he had had a complaint of a Motorhome using the car park overnight and he had to come and investigate.

We moved on to Warkworth where we overnighted on the Long Stay Coach Park. Next morning we went to the beach. There is a caravan site here but it does not have any provision for touring visitors. There is another site full of static touring type caravans. The place is covered with notices stating that overnight camping is not permitted. Not very welcoming.

We had planned to go to the Camping and Caravanning Club site at Beadnell to dump and replenish the fresh water. However even though this was before the half term it was closed for the season. We tried some CLs and CSs in that area and they were fully booked. As a result we finished up missing out Seahouses and Bamborough and went to Beal at the end of the Causeway to Holy Island. This was a nice CL on a farm. We spent a day on Holy Island exploring and visiting the Castle (NT) and the village.

On the 17th we headed south again down the AI. My comment was Northumberland was a nice place pity it was shut.

We again went to one of our favourite CLs at Sedgefield until the 24th then we returned to out other favourite CS at Maiden Law. It was raining heavily so we decided to go up the A19 toward Sunderland for a change. As I was travelling I noticed the Rear View camera was poor. It then went totally black.

When we got to Maiden Law I investigated the cause and after talking to Conrad Anderson it was decided that we needed a new monitor. So we stayed until the 31st then it was off again to Birmingham.
You need to be logged in to comment