Hot, hot, hot.!!

Published by Bobndebs McKay in the blog Bobndebs McKay's blog. Views: 409

The weather has definitely taken a turn upwards, it is now regularly in the 30s and sticky at night, not complaining, we do like the heat!
Monday we just had a gentle stroll into Alfas del Pi and did the food shopping, nothing very exciting but leisurely and very pleasant. Tuesday we took the Tram to Calpe. What a lovely place that is, steep hills down to an immaculately clean beach front, populated mostly with locals not many Brit voices heard here. We had a small lunch of Fried Fish (whitebait style) pescadilata I believe, a house salad with Tuna, a Raciones of Patatas Bravas ( fried potatoes with a spicy sauce) and a bowl of bread, complete with a beer and a glass of wine all for €15 !

Yesterday we went with Syd, Ruth, Little Bob and Leslie into Alicante then back and into Benidorm. Alicante has the Fire Festival on at the moment so was very busy, but nice nonetheless, the Marina is lovely, the atmosphere was buzzy and friendly, we ate in an old square behind the harbour, a salad, Paella and ice cream, along with two beers and half a bottle of wine was €40, bit of a difference to around here, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Walking around in Benidorm was quite an education for me, as the image of tower blocks and drunken Brits is the prevailing one. Well thanks to Little Bob and Leslie, we saw a different side, Tapas Alley, traditional narrow street area with small vibrant Tapas Bars, great atmosphere and wonderful sights and smells, very Spanish. We then walked up to the Memorial Point and had a beer in the setting sunlight, again, lovely.
After that we walked to "the strip" the bars and pubs were in full flow, and the atmosphere was more like the " beer and Bingo" Benidorm we expected, but we saw no trouble, saw nothing outrageous and actually thoroughly enjoyed the evening, beers were around€1.80 a pint and Wine was about the same a glass. To top it all off I bumped into a long standing colleague and friend who I played Rugby in The RAF with, and his wife, so we had a good laugh over a few beers, no need to say we got back here at around 01.30 this morning with huge smiles on our faces.
Overall, please don't let the image of Benidorm put you off, we are far enough away to be in the countryside, but with good Tram and Bus Services to get around, and this area of Spain is absolutely everything we wanted.
Total spend now is €1751 all in, but we have had a couple of good nights and expect that to tail off . image.jpg
Fried fish, Tuna Salad, Patatas Bravas etc superb.

image.jpg

Calpe Rock and beach.

image.jpg

Spanish Galleon in Alicante Harbour.

image.jpg

These were all around Alicante as part of the Fire Festival.

image.jpg

The Marina, Alicante.

image.jpg

When I said no drunkeness I may have forgotten Debs and Leslie!! Memorial Point, Benidorm.

image.jpg

My old mate, Claydo, what a legend!!

image.jpg

4 likely characters, Alicante Centre.

Attached Files:

You need to be logged in to comment