Cote Ghyll - Osmotherley

Published by Touchwood in the blog The last but one adventure. Views: 185

The last weekend of the season, so we decided on two nights away at a fairly local site that looked to tick all the boxes - and we weren't disappointed.

Picked up Rosie from storage on Friday morning - loading up a little delayed by putting in place the new memory foam mattress in the overcab bed - I put it on top of the existing 2" mattress, but may try it on its own in future, as the head room is a little restricted. Got away about 11:30. Nice weather for the short (40 minute) run to Osmotherly - nice to get Rosie out on a dual carriageway, she cruises wonderfully well at 60 mph.

A nice welcome at Cote Ghyll, and a good pitch close to the shower block. Took advantage of the sunshine to get a few photos, then stretched our legs with a stroll into Osmotherley to check out the pubs.

All were dog friendly - a quick pint of Timothy Taylor's "Landlord" in the Golden Lion, and a perusal of the menu - looked wonderful but pricey with main courses at around £18.00 or so. We then wandered over the road to the Queen Catherine, prices much more to our budget and a couple of pints of Bombardier saw us resolved to eat there Saturday night. Chatting with a couple of walkers, one originally from Osmotherley told us that the "Queen Catherine" was the only pub so named in the UK.

Back to the MH for a nice dinner rustled up in no time by Jill, then an evening with a couple of episodes of "The Killing" on my laptop. We were going to watch the Da Vinci code, but on opening the DVD box found the disc missing!

First night in the overcab bed was interesting, to say the least. I managed to sleep tolerably well, though it was very warm at first, having had the fan heater on to combat the chill of course the warm air had risen and it was like getting into an oven. Very comfy in all other respects though - Jill has threatened to take a photo of my rear clambering up the ladder - not a pretty sight I'll warrant. The dogs settled very well and left Jill alone on the rear bunk.

After breakfast on Saturday (bacon sandwiches, of course!) we walked up to Cod Beck reservoir above the camp site - passing on the way a house that used to be the home of some good friends and near neighbours of ours. The scenery at the reservoir was very pretty, with the autumn colours, unfortunately I'd neglected to take my camera - isn't it always the way?

Saturday afternoon was overcast and it turned quite chilly - we just sat around in the van reading and relaxing.

Saturday evening and off to the Queen Catherine as planned - we both enjoyed beef rib and chips at £6.95, and a couple more pints of Bombardier of course. Back to a couple more episodes of the killing - very gripping despite the sub-titles - and an early night, after a slight panic which had me thinking we were flattening our batteries, all resolved by posting a desperate plea for help on the fun forum. It seems I was misreading the combined battery/water level meter - it was the tank which was nearly empty, not the batteries!

A better night's sleep, then up on Sunday morning to the obligatory bacon sandwiches. I took the opportunity of being close to the shower block to empty the waste water drum and the toilet cassette - bloody heavy though when full, so something has to be done to make that easier - options to explore via the forums for the best solution.

A quick and easy pack up, and we were back home by around 1300 having detoured up to the reservoir again with the plan of getting some photos - unfortunately not possible as there is nowhere handy to park until the stop at Sheep Wash, not too far past the reservoir but I was feeling lazy.

All in all a most successful and enjoyable outing. Cote Ghyll is an excellent, clean and pretty site, Osmotherley offers some excellent pubs with a choice of really nice food to suit a range of budgets (we noticed a handy chippie near the Queen Catherine) and the walk to the reservoir was the highlight of a great weekend.
You need to be logged in to comment