Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Can anyone tell me how the word Zuckoff relates to my motorhome? Is it a type of chassis?
I am trying to use a Peugeot disc based workshop manual and there are so many varieties of body chassis type variations mentioned.
I know it has disc brakes at the rear which helps and that the 3 litre engine (157BHP) does not have a cam belt but two chains( big relief) so I am trying to fill the gaps in my knowledge of the vehicle.
Oh it is a 2008 early Autocruise ( pre Swift takeover) Gleneagle

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant find a definitive answer but it does appear to be an Alko derivitive.

peugeot 355 and 440 ZUCKOFF chassis appear in many web searchs.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When the office boy interrupted a very busy board meeting to ask the name of the new chassis he miss heard the Chairmans reply:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i know its not good nettiquette to correct a fellow posters spelling.... but:ROFLMAO:

its the word used when you ask a parking warden if you can park up somewhere for the night

seriously though I believe alko kober is now alko zuckoff. its a german company that make chassis for motorhomes trailers and caravans as well as electrical tools.

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thankyou (I think!!)

I will chase it up on the Internet further.....and thank you for the suggestions regarding intimacy and travel.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nothing to do with Alko

After contacting Alko they say they have nothing to do with Zuckoff, so is it a different chassis maker as it is mentioned on my logbook as 440 Zuckoff?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
After contacting Alko they say they have nothing to do with Zuckoff, so is it a different chassis maker as it is mentioned on my logbook as 440 Zuckoff?

I couldnt find anything to link Alko and Zuckoff either.

if converters are moving away from a tried and trusted chassis to another brand its for one of two reasons........they are cheaper or they are better.

i suspect cheaper :RollEyes:

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It is a 2008 van

As it is a 2008 van it cannot be a new trend but it is strange that there is no mention on the Internet .

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I just googled it. You’d be amazed what I got. I’m quite shocked!

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
What shocked you?

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Will not give up yet!!

I rang 6 motorhome dealers, two motorhome manufacturers and emailed Peugeot Business re this subject ( that's how sad I am to find out the answer to the question)
Guess what .....none of them know and my query to Peugeot just bounced back. I cannot understand when motor homes are advertised as 440 (or 355) Zuckoff ( and on my logbook) that nobody seems to know what it means.
I looked at the aluminium plates under the bonnet and one is for the cab and the other labelled Alko is for the chassis. I also saw that the VIN numbers on each were slightly different which was a surprise!
You learn something useless every day.
The quest to find Mr Zuckoff continues, I have asked Interpol and the CIA for help......or should I just give up??? The problem with retirement is that time is not an issue.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would forget Mr Zuckoff and concentrate on why the two vin plate numbers are different.

a vehicle can only have one vin number regardless of what body is built on it or use it is put to.

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have just emailed the dealer I bought it from as there is a one letter difference between the VIN showing through the windscreen and the plates under the bonnet above the radiator. The two plates, Peugeot and Alko have the same details but the windscreen one shows MAA and the under bonnet ones show MAB. Any ideas?.
Mr Zuckoff is on hold for now

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is a way to read VIN plates.

would you type both the VIN's, using * for all but the relevant letters, on here so we can see what has changed.

the position of the different letters makes a difference

ie: ***MAA***********

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
OK here are the two different VIN numbers and I have either found them invalid on an on line check or for a 2001 model, there is something wrong here. Waiting for the respected caravan and motorhome dealer to get back to me.

Windscreen VF3YEDMAA11104517
Peugeot and Alko plate VF3YEDMAB11104517

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could take a while...

the letter is the VIN check number which validates the rest of the info and requires a fair bit of calculating.

i'll get back to you.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
couldnt make any sense of the numbers supplied so found this check site....they just wouldnt calculate.

http://www.vindecoder.net/?vin=vf3yedma711104517&submit=Decode

the letters in position 9 are wrong on both plates

the actual digit should be a 7...not A or B

in the link, where i entered the number 7 in the 9th position, change that to A or b then click 'decode' and the results come back with a warning in red explaining this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
This is really weird. The numbers at the end work fine in a Peugeot workshop manual and come up with the 3 litre engine information. It seems that both numbers on the vehicle( well the letters anyway) are incorrect but also one letter different from each other . The vin on the original Peugeot service record is the same as one of the numbers on the vehicle so that looks genuine. I do not yet have the registration document as there was a private plate on it and the dealer has changed it for me back to the original number . I am just waiting for it to arrive. There were two previous owners one lives locally and the vehicle has been looked after by the local dealer I bought it from . The last owners bought it from Marquis in Preston a well knwn dealer and I have the receipt for their purchase .
It all looks genuine apart from the Vin anomaly . How could it get to five years old and nobody noticed? It even has a fresh MOT locally. I won't sleep until I find out what is going on. Thanks for your help, I will report back here when it is sorted. Needless to say Mr Zuckoff is now on the back burner!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the converter may have designated a stage two VIN to the van....thats usually when an alternative chassis is used ie Alko
stage two is for the body built on the bare chassis.

doesnt explain why the A or B should be a 7 though.

as far as DVLA are concerned, as long as the V5 and one of the VIN plates tally they aint bothered.

only real problem will be buying parts using the VIN for identification.

i checked 2 old vin numbers i have and both came back as incorrect...one off a '96 car and one off an '83 4X4.
the details were correct on both except no year details shown.

my RV's VIN came back with a lot of info including the state (California), city (monterey) and the plant where it was built.
my Chrysler, which was built in Austria, came back as being built in America :Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just mfound this snippet on the same website barry....

VIS - Vehicle Identifier Section - The 10th to 17th positions are used by the manufacturer to identify the individual vehicle in question. This may include information on options installed or engine and transmission choices.

so it looks like ordering parts by VIN number wont be a problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
check them on

http://vin-decoder.com/VF3YEDMAB11104517

or

http://vin-decoder.com/VF3YEDMAA11104517

MARK Peugeot
MODEL inny
TYPE Van
PRODUCTION YEAR 2012
GEARBOX Manual
ENGINE CAPACITY 2999
FUEL TYPE Diesel
DOORS 2/3
POWER 188 KM / 138 kW
DESCRIPTION biały, centralny zamek, komputer, ABS, ASR, poduszki powietrzne, immobiliser, ESP,

But.....as stated below your VIN entry

Result is approximate and has not decoded successfully

and not very accurate...results from my RV, considering the other check site even said which plant it was built in, full engine details and dated it as 1999, which it is..

Result is approximate and has not decoded successfully
MARK Ford
MODEL Other
TYPE --
PRODUCTION YEAR 1997
GEARBOX Automatic
ENGINE Not Specified
FUEL TYPE Gasoline

Last edited:
OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have now emailed the DVLA to see their reaction to the situation, and will ring the dealer tomorrow I bought it from to see what he says. It will be interesting to see what is on the log book when and if it arrives.
Reassuring to read that I am not alone re Vins. Thanks for everything guys , maybe tomorrow I will check our Fiesta's vin or maybe get back to finding mr Zuckoff??

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The email to the DVLA was passed on to the investigation department who rang today. He said that the dealer had not sent off the change of ownership paperwork but that did not matter . They would send to me the form to fill in to get my registration document if I sent the small green slip given to me on purchase together with photos of the two under bonnet plates with the vin numbers on. He said the one visible through the windscreen did not matter to them and they would make a correction to the vin number on the new registration document and not to worry as mistakes happen all the time. He said the dealer may get fined for not sending off the documents but not to get involved in that and just deal direct with the DVLA. I was given a specific number to ring in case of a problem and a name. An excellent service which puts my mind at rest now apart from still not finding Mr Zuckoff, which is where this all started!!::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The email to the DVLA was passed on to the investigation department who rang today. He said that the dealer had not sent off the change of ownership paperwork but that did not matter . They would send to me the form to fill in to get my registration document if I sent the small green slip given to me on purchase together with photos of the two under bonnet plates with the vin numbers on. He said the one visible through the windscreen did not matter to them and they would make a correction to the vin number on the new registration document and not to worry as mistakes happen all the time. He said the dealer may get fined for not sending off the documents but not to get involved in that and just deal direct with the DVLA. I was given a specific number to ring in case of a problem and a name. An excellent service which puts my mind at rest now apart from still not finding Mr Zuckoff, which is where this all started!!::bigsmile:

Naughty Dealer:RollEyes:
Dont supose DVLA LOST THE PAPERWORK!!!!!!!:Cool:
And lied about it eh!

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Their systems are so good this could never happen, and obviously they cannot fine themselves. Maybe the form was not written in Welsh so was binned?

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Now I know

I have found out what Zuckoff refers to and the 440.
It is a term used to describe the way Peugeot deliver their short cabs to ALKO or the motorhome manufacturer. They are delivered back to back with the rear cab being effectively towed by the front one. When in the factory they are split and the ALKO chassis is bolted on. The 440 I think refers to the weight capacity.
So now I can sleep.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Organplayer

Larrff. I wuz almost cryin. Thanx all on this comedic tale of complicated woe. This has really cheered me up for the rest of the day. WELL DUN ALL.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back