Zuckoff

Discussion in 'Autocruise CH' started by barrywi, Aug 6, 2013.

1. barrywi

barrywi Read Only Funster

Can anyone tell me how the word Zuckoff relates to my motorhome? Is it a type of chassis?
    I am trying to use a Peugeot disc based workshop manual and there are so many varieties of body chassis type variations mentioned.
    I know it has disc brakes at the rear which helps and that the 3 litre engine (157BHP) does not have a cam belt but two chains( big relief) so I am trying to fill the gaps in my knowledge of the vehicle.
    Oh it is a 2008 early Autocruise ( pre Swift takeover) Gleneagle

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

cant find a definitive answer but it does appear to be an Alko derivitive.

peugeot 355 and 440 ZUCKOFF chassis appear in many web searchs.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

When the office boy interrupted a very busy board meeting to ask the name of the new chassis he miss heard the Chairmans reply:Doh:

• Like Like x 6
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i know its not good nettiquette to correct a fellow posters spelling.... but:Rofl1:

its the word used when you ask a parking warden if you can park up somewhere for the night

seriously though I believe alko kober is now alko zuckoff. its a german company that make chassis for motorhomes trailers and caravans as well as electrical tools.

5. barrywi

Thankyou (I think!!)

I will chase it up on the Internet further.....and thank you for the suggestions regarding intimacy and travel.:BigGrin:

6. pappajohn

good luck...i ran out of search phrases and criteria. :Sad:

7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Had they use to be Goforth and Multiply :Rofl1:

8. barrywi

Nothing to do with Alko

After contacting Alko they say they have nothing to do with Zuckoff, so is it a different chassis maker as it is mentioned on my logbook as 440 Zuckoff?

9. pappajohn

I couldnt find anything to link Alko and Zuckoff either.

if converters are moving away from a tried and trusted chassis to another brand its for one of two reasons........they are cheaper or they are better.

i suspect cheaper :RollEyes:

10. barrywi

It is a 2008 van

As it is a 2008 van it cannot be a new trend but it is strange that there is no mention on the Internet .

11. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

I just googled it. You’d be amazed what I got. I’m quite shocked!

12. barrywi

What shocked you?

13. barrywi

Will not give up yet!!

I rang 6 motorhome dealers, two motorhome manufacturers and emailed Peugeot Business re this subject ( that's how sad I am to find out the answer to the question)
    Guess what .....none of them know and my query to Peugeot just bounced back. I cannot understand when motor homes are advertised as 440 (or 355) Zuckoff ( and on my logbook) that nobody seems to know what it means.
    I looked at the aluminium plates under the bonnet and one is for the cab and the other labelled Alko is for the chassis. I also saw that the VIN numbers on each were slightly different which was a surprise!
    You learn something useless every day.
    The quest to find Mr Zuckoff continues, I have asked Interpol and the CIA for help......or should I just give up??? The problem with retirement is that time is not an issue.:Smile:

14. pappajohn

I would forget Mr Zuckoff and concentrate on why the two vin plate numbers are different.

a vehicle can only have one vin number regardless of what body is built on it or use it is put to.

15. barrywi

I have just emailed the dealer I bought it from as there is a one letter difference between the VIN showing through the windscreen and the plates under the bonnet above the radiator. The two plates, Peugeot and Alko have the same details but the windscreen one shows MAA and the under bonnet ones show MAB. Any ideas?.
    Mr Zuckoff is on hold for now

16. pappajohn

there is a way to read VIN plates.

would you type both the VIN's, using * for all but the relevant letters, on here so we can see what has changed.

the position of the different letters makes a difference

ie: ***MAA***********

17. barrywi

OK here are the two different VIN numbers and I have either found them invalid on an on line check or for a 2001 model, there is something wrong here. Waiting for the respected caravan and motorhome dealer to get back to me.

Windscreen VF3YEDMAA11104517
    Peugeot and Alko plate VF3YEDMAB11104517

18. pappajohn

could take a while...

the letter is the VIN check number which validates the rest of the info and requires a fair bit of calculating.

i'll get back to you.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  19. pappajohn

couldnt make any sense of the numbers supplied so found this check site....they just wouldnt calculate.

http://www.vindecoder.net/?vin=vf3yedma711104517&submit=Decode

the letters in position 9 are wrong on both plates

the actual digit should be a 7...not A or B

in the link, where i entered the number 7 in the 9th position, change that to A or b then click 'decode' and the results come back with a warning in red explaining this.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  20. barrywi

This is really weird. The numbers at the end work fine in a Peugeot workshop manual and come up with the 3 litre engine information. It seems that both numbers on the vehicle( well the letters anyway) are incorrect but also one letter different from each other . The vin on the original Peugeot service record is the same as one of the numbers on the vehicle so that looks genuine. I do not yet have the registration document as there was a private plate on it and the dealer has changed it for me back to the original number . I am just waiting for it to arrive. There were two previous owners one lives locally and the vehicle has been looked after by the local dealer I bought it from . The last owners bought it from Marquis in Preston a well knwn dealer and I have the receipt for their purchase .
    It all looks genuine apart from the Vin anomaly . How could it get to five years old and nobody noticed? It even has a fresh MOT locally. I won't sleep until I find out what is going on. Thanks for your help, I will report back here when it is sorted. Needless to say Mr Zuckoff is now on the back burner!