Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Hi Funsters!
We have a ZIG CF8 power centre in Mertle and have had a couple of issues. When we bought the van the previous owner told us what to do with it, which we always do, assuming thats correct. Get on site, hooked up, put the Orange mains switch down, the middle switch from touring to onsite, and 12v on. After the first day the red warning light comes on to say the leisure battery is low and things start to fail. I assumed that this unit charges the leisure battery as well as distributes the power? Is this a sign that its packed up, or is it something else? Ta muchly! Chris

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
From memory .as I use to buy at fit these and CF 9's when I use to convert vans.
It is as you say when mobile your habitat battery assuming you have one gets charged from the engine (center switch touring)
Then on site main switch on and center switch to on site .
Have you checked state of. Battery / fuses .
The unit is only a simple battery charger after all.
Hope this helps .:)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Sounds like a fuse issue to me or the wire dropped off at the back but the Zig units are rubbish anyway, as said above just a cheap battery charger in a fancy box. I'm stuck with one as there does not seem to be anything on the market of identical size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Thanks guys, ill do a bit of investigation first. Yes this one was fitted at source so limited on what to replace it with. If there not that good, seen as theres a socket near the leisure battery, would i be better getting a stand alone battery charger that can be left connected up, which will then
charge on hookup instead of replacimg the CF8?

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Right, after further investigation, all connections seem ok, fuses all checked out, and battery too. When i have the multimeter on the battery im getting 12.44V. When i switch the CF8 unit on and put the changeover switch from touring to hookup, it then goes up to 12.75V., but is this output really enough! Shouldnt it be somewhere over 13.0V? Im thinking its charging, but just not enough?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
"Its charging Jim...but not as we know it " :D

Sorry had to ,it does seem as though its had its day I carry a little battery charger bought from lidl a while back ,used when I took solar panels off the roof to upgrade and clean/paint the roof kept the hab batteries ticking over nicely for a week or so .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back