zero/slimming noodles ?

Discussion in 'Funsters on a diet' started by Judge Mental, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

anyone heard of these? I got a few packets in Holland and Barrett recently and we had a really nice stir fry, but I resented paying £250 something a pack, so being a meanie:) I shopped about online and found something similar for £1 a pack, tried them last night in a king prawn and salmon stir fry and they are fine if a little watery..but zero carb

they are brand name "Yutaka Japanese white Shirataki noodles" and so far ony found the wet packs which are bit heavy in weight, I prefer dry for travelling but hese wil do. cant remember where I got them :( but just google the term.

Now when you open the pack they are bit smelly! kinda fishy, so you have to run them under water in a colander but once added to the stir fry there is no smell. the exopensive ones are made of Konjac as weland they dont smell or packed in liguid, so if fussy maybe theese worth a go but I dont see the point. my son [refered the stir fry with these ones

If anyone finds dry I would be grateful..but not sure if they exist..

found link: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi..._Japanese_Shirataki_Noodles__White__170g.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Never heard of them before but look very interesting..... will chase this up. Thank yu.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Holland & Barrett do a range including rice and pasta versions. Jill buys them from time to time. The time to buy is when they have the offer of "Buy one, get a second for a penny" on. That way they work out at £1.25 each.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sedge

sedge Funster

Well - they are of course zero carb but since they don't taste of absolutely anything - and nutritionally are worth zilcho - why not just eat the 'whatever' you happen to be eating with them?

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Im not surprised.....do they go to china for them personally ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Errr..you dont eat them on their own...you have to add to a stir fry....:)

7. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes - but why on earth bother either buying or cooking them if they neither taste of anything nor are of any food value?

How can they add anything to the dish?

• Like Like x 1
  8. parknride

parknride Funster

Think the idea is they are no carbs so bulk up the meal without adding calories?

• Like Like x 1
  9. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Done a bit of reading around this... (can't sleep!)

Basically these are made from the fibre from the root of a plant called konjak. It works by absorbing large quantities of water, and slowing down the passage of food from the stomach and through the gut, making you feel full.
    Other names for konjac include devil's tongue, snake palm and voodoo lily..... :eek:

The particular type of fibre (called glucomannan) is also sold as a supplement to aid weight loss.
    Like everything we eat it has some potential (but rare) side-effects.
    Because it can absorb up to 100 times its weight in water, it can cause obstruction of the esophagus, throat or intestines. It can cause choking. "Anyone with preexisting esophageal problems should avoid glucomannan in all forms."
    It may inhibit absorption of cholesterol and glucose, so check with your GP if you're taking medication for either of these.
    It can act as a strong laxative, causing diarrhoea and flatulence (oh goody another toilet thread....) :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  11. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Seems very similar in the way they work - ie mostly fibre, absorb lots of water (x3) so act by bulking up in your stomach so you feel full - basically they're shaped agar, made from seaweed. I found this useful:
    https://lazybeggars.wordpress.com/tag/agar-noodles/
    Both to be used as Japanese noodles not Italian!

• Like Like x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That blog seems to suggest you should only eat them in a stir fry or something oriental. I just cooked them as per the instructions, a one minute zap in the microwave I think, then served them alongside some fish I had cooked in foil. I had surrounded the fish with sliced vegetables like celery, green beans and chillies and the result was fine. We don't have a microwave in the MH so I need to check the instructions to see if you can just boil them briefly, I don't see why not.

13. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

From their website (your link):
    "Simply remove the dry noodles and submerge and stir for 30 seconds in warm/hot water, the same temperature you would heat up for soup or tea."
    Ideal!

• Like Like x 1
  14. busby

busby Funster

Sounds like the same filling effect as drinking lots of water before a meal. BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Buy a spiraliser and then you can eat raw courgette spaghetti or noodles. Not zero carb, but a lot less than pasta and a bit healthier (y)

16. sedge

sedge Funster

You can (almost!) dry fry courgette tagliatelli etc with either that spray oil or a really teeny amount of butter - like a teaspoon of it. or ordinary oil, yes it does colour very slightly but as long as the pan's hot, it takes literally seconds. Any sign of it sticking to the pan and it's 'done' right NOW.

It is almost zero carb, even compared to cauliflower let alone to pasta !

You can do exactly the same with cauli (grated) to get rice. Not necessarily labour intensive this one if you happen to have a food processor so that's at home really. Cauli must be fresh though, if it's more than a day old it will probably taste too strong. You can actually grate (by hand or processor) frozen florets too, which is especially useful if you only want/need a small amount.

• Like Like x 2
  17. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

We've got chicken jalfrezi and cauli rice for tea tonight. I dry fry the cauli rice in the van as we don't have a microwave and its fine.

18. newlifedriver

newlifedriver Read Only Funster

Noodles are best in the bin
    As for dieting chicken and nut diet works every time with light workout or treadmill when keeping your hart rate under 142