Zead wifi products

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Jim, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

These guys were next to us at the Shrewsbury show, I never really got the chance to speak to them, the product looks OK, Its supposed to pull in Wifi from about a km, works on Windows and a Mac. Has any one used it? http://www.zead.co.uk/

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I looked at them and the other guys at
    http://www.motorhomewifi.com/

I am waiting for the new one that they are doing that does directional wifi and 3g combined into one router. Hoping he has it ready soon though as I sold my old wifi directional box on already.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I've not really looked at Adams products at motorhomewifi either as they are always busy when I've seen them at shows. Must be good stuff they are selling:thumb:

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Only my opinion but Adams device seems more pro orientated whereas the Z stuff seems consumer aimed.

The Z wifi device doesn't give me much over my Mifi in a doggie bag on a flag pole :Wink:. Adams directional antenna with wifi router is only £20 more and adds directionality.

I already have an orange (unlocked) dongle with a roof mounted aerial. Again their Z 3G dongle doesn't add anything to what I already have.

The Z router needs you to plug your dongle into the router. I would rather have a router that has a sim socket in it so you don't need to have a dongle tied up in the process as well.

When Adam pulls his finger out and gets price/delivery details sorted out for the combined unit I will get one and post a review on my blog.

It is pricey but having a single box that does everything will be a godsend. There are other technical advantages to the kit Adam is offering but will know more when I install test...

PS: I didn't use Adam's name before because I couldn't remember it:Doh:

5. Glyn and Debbie

Glyn and Debbie Funster

zead wi fi booster

Hi Jim, I bought one, load of c**p, after about a week one aerial fell to bits, never achieved a decent signal anywhere, in fact the wi fi on my laptop performs better. Motorhomewifi looked a much more professional piece of kit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

The first one that Jim mentioned looks like a copy of the Bear Extender that was designed for Macs but is now available for Win PCs too. The Bear gets good reviews and is about half the price but has nothing like the potential range of the next one listed.
    http://movingwifi.com/bearextender-mac
    The 'Motorhome WiFi' chap has posted extensively on 'the dark side' as 'Addie' and seems to be very knowledgable, having tested systems extensively whilst touring. Here is his blog - there is a section on WiFi in it.
    http://www.europebycamper.com/

I think his directional product is in fact a Faculty-X antenna and he has set up a marketing venture to sell it to the motorhome community. I have read quite a bit of discussion on 'facts' about the Fac-X and difficulties some people have had in setting it up. I think Addie is trying to make it easier to use.
    http://www.faculty-x.net/NET-WL-usb-cpe2512bgn

I have no experience of any of them, having thought about it, researched options and then prevaricated. I may try one at some point but meanwhile, good luck to Addie for trying to move things forward.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

8. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have a Repeatit, in theory works well, I can see loads more LOCKED wifi, and thats the problem, most are now locked down and I cant be bothered to change my PC into a dual boot with Linux and install Air Snort etc and waste hours learning about cracking WEP etc.

I very rarely manage to get into many 'open' wifi, did some in Lyon, but on a normal trip, no..

Are they worth the money?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Having the wifi range is well worth the money. With a good wifi setup you don't have to move the family pitch as often as I do:Blush: When after wandering around the site at 6am with my laptop looking for the best Campsite wifi hotspot.

As well as not having to actually use the burger or wine bars that offer free wifi

That extra reach can come in handy too if you have a wifi enabled memory card in your camera Dave :Wink: :BigGrin:

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

On our travels we use a netbook and tablets with a 3 MiFi and have no problems. At the moment, tablet usage rules out these devices that rely on USB anyway.

The other factor for us is that our home broadband is Virgin so we don't have access to BT Fon - and other unsecured networks are becoming more and more scarce over time, even if one would trust them enough to use them.

When we were in Gargrave (near Skipton) with the C&CC at the end of May one of the other campers had one of the extended WiFi devices (don't know the supplier/make) and couldn't find anything. Our MiFi plus other people using mobile dongles had no problems.

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You are right Graham, I would not want to wander around the UK and rely on just on free wifi. But for me a combination of Three and Orange on mobile networks and a wifi arial for when free wifi is available means most options are covered.

Mobile braodband gets better and better and when we get 4g should be superb. But free wifi will always be my first choice as I'm paying for everything else. On the continent the mobile broadband is sparse and a wifi arial is a godsend.

12. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Thanks to all for the positive comments on Motorhome WiFi, it means a lot to me personally that people are happy with the equipment they buy and for me that is all about setting expectations. Range is incredibly difficult to define and almost impossible when you only have control over one side of a WiFi link, in a motorhome all you can do is get a good quality antenna with a good level of receive sensitivity and hope that it is sufficient to separate a weak signal from the background noise. For that we favour a directional unit.

Just to clear up the confusion with regards to the "Faculty X" antenna - we both actually source them independently rather then supply each other. The difference being is we customise them with a high powered suction bracket and base plate for mounting on the side / roof / window of the motorhome and supply our own detailed instructions / telephone support. I'm always happy to refer customers to Faculty X who don't want the mount.

I always warn people that France can be difficult for WiFi (some beaucratic reasons for that to do with long range licences granted to SFR France and Free.FR) - that is certainly our expereince. Eastern Europe, Greece and to some degree Spain are MUCH better.

To put it into perspective after 320 days in Europe we had a success rate of 68% finding open, free WiFi from our Wild Camping locations.

Anyone can have unlimited access to BT FON for £34. Simply purchase a FON box, plug it in at home and you get access to anyone elses FON spots by virtue of being a FON 'provider'. Perhaps not a good idea if you are on a limited bandwidth tariff or live on a busy high street but in a residential setting you should be fine. You could always take the antenna off or put it in a draw or something :whistle:

http://corp.fon.com/en/products/simpl/

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Do any of these products work with an iPad?

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When we get 4G I think I'll be seriously thinking about dumping the landline connection at home. Even now all it really gives us is a bit more convenience.

I don't mind paying for Mifi as it doesn't cost all that much and has proved reliable. WiFi extenders wouldn't give us the same vfm.

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Chris, I only use it for the free stuff. I don't fancy being extradited to the states in an orange jumpsuit:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Plus the cost of an antenna which requires USB so wouldn't work with the Samsung tablets. Sorry, not attractive enough :Smile:

18. brynric

brynric Funster

I bought the motorhome wifi for this very reason. The kit includes a personal hotspot so we can use it with iPad and phones. And I suppose I could sell the signal on to my technically impoverished neighbours.
    So far I've been impressed with it, usually finding a range of signals the phones haven't picked up and there are often unlocked services, depending where you are.:Smile:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Which particular bit of kit did you buy Brynric?

20. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Thanks for that. Have you got a link to what you have?