Ypres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Oct 5, 2016.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

Anyone who hasn't been really should, we went couple of nights ago parked down from menin gate free and very quiet, only us and two more vans there, but this is our fourth time and as usual at eight o clock every night of the year it is rammed for the last post , this time it was the Grimsby old soldiers doing it and three different schools represented laying wreaths, and young soldiers reading.
    Amazing it keeps finding people to do it but there were three bus loads from uk.
    It's only a gentle couple of hours from Calais and well worth a look as well as to remember the dead.

• Like Like x 11
  2. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

We have been and at 20:00 I seemed to get something in my eye.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

We went in June this year. We stayed on the campsite just over the canal for a couple of nights. Found the service very moving.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

There in July - very moving and Ypres is a lovely town with a fantastic museum. We stayed at the aire just a short walk from the Menin Gate and although getting in was quite an event, once there it was great. Going again for the Christmas market in December.

5. thIOM

thIOM Funster

It is the most moving place. I visited a few years ago to find the name of my grandfather's brother. I knew he was commemorated there but had no idea where. I found the book that lists all the names with the panel number. The book doesn't tell you where the panels are and there are hundreds of them. I took the arch from the centre of the gate and came across steps to the left, to the right and straight ahead. I decided to turn left to make a start on the search. Halfway up the steps I stopped to find my camera. I found it and turned my head to the left and there, framed perfectly in the bottom of the railings and eye level was a name; G.W. Hussey, my Great-Uncle. As far as I know I am the only person to ever go there from my family and it was like him quietly saying "I am here". I shed some tears at that place. Its a poignant reminder of the truth of war and the endless sacrifice so many young men made.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We went last year and as well as the town and Menin gate there are excellent cycle paths leading to various cemeteries .

7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

we love the town one of our favorite places
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  8. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Bands from anywhere can apply to do the ceremony but normally it is always done by the band of the local fire brigade. The children are still taught in schools , unlike the UK, of the sacrifices made by all the soldiers in liberating Belgium . It is the same with the Dutch. In many of the smaller cemeteries each grave is adopted by , & lovingly cared for,a local family.

9. Viennese

Viennese Funster

We were there 11/11/15. the night before their big commemoration events, and it was packed, and a very moving ceremony under the bridge. However, we were told off by an official for parking up for the night on a road near the gate and next to the river. It's very hard to see the no motorhomes sign - be aware!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Best to use Jugstation campsite, short walk to the town and Menin gate but best book in advance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. burtonbird

burtonbird Funster

There is mh parking by the river but much further down the road, away from the gate.

12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We spent three hours in the Cloth Hall Museum on our visit - it was unlike any other we'd been in on that subject or any other. A short trip up the road is Tyne Cot, the largest Commonwealth War Cemetery anywhere - I'd also recommend paying your respects there.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We used the aire section of the campsite when we went there, the section just for motorhomes through the first barrier. Quite a bit cheaper than the main campsite.

14. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

Menin Gate at Night.jpg IMG_0099A (800 x 555).jpg IMG_0097A (800 x 600).jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

We also went in the cloth Hall Museum, expecting to be in there about an hour. Very impressed, ended up spending all afternoon there.

16. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Yes there were lots of motor homes parked there, and they all got the paper with the official warning that we got. We missed the sign saying no overnight parking.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. nelly

nelly Funster

SL370536.JPG SL370536.JPG David Leslie my Great Uncle just 17

18. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Yes, agree, that's the one that we used.

• Like Like x 1