Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
We are going to Ypres in August and would like to tour some of the battlefields, we are taking the tow car with us .
Does anyone know of anywhere I can get maps or info on what to see .? Has anyone done this and a y info would be appreciated, chris

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know about your own car tour but there are various guided tours from the centre of Ypres even in ex war vehicles and motor bikes.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
There is a Tourist Office in town centre with lots of info, you can do official tours or drive yourself. It can be an emotional trip so my advice would be pace yourself. We did some museums in between the battlefield memorials
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We obtained a map locally but used our leccy bikes, cycled for many miles, flat terrain and many cycle paths, a great trip.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I would advise getting hold of a copy of "Before Endeavours Fade" by Rose Coombs or Major & Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Ypres Salient. The former covers all of the western front whilst the latter deals only with the area your visiting. I would recommend a visit to the trenches and museum at Sanctuary Wood (Hill 62). If you're looking for a site to stay, Camping Jeugdstadion Ieper is only a 10 minute walk from the Menin gate.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
This one looks good - http://www.somme-battlefields.com/ for the Somme area. We visited the Menin Gate a couple of years ago and Thiepval and the Newfoundland Memorial site a year before that. Very moving, and sombre. We were surprised by the amount of German soldiers graves that were in amongst the British and Allied forces graveyards.

Make sure you leave some time in the trip to do some happy stops as well!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back