Youtube- Taking a motorhome skiing. (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I thought this video from YouTube might inspire a few folks.
Its not a bad little production. In fact after watching it, I am going to take the bikes out of the garage and install the ski rack!

Motorhome in The Alps:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Would you recommend we get one of the screens that cover the grill of the van. We have the windscreen covers but thought about looking for something to add on to them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Sandra

Quite a few folks seem to use the full length cab blinds. I am not sure if you will get as much benefit from them on an A-class as you would a coach built.
We have only windscreen covers on our coach built cab. We would like full length ones but at the shows, the usual suspects supplying them aren't interested in making them for a Transit cab. Their loss.....
If we want some there is a German brand available.
I think the extra insulation on an A-class body might not make them worthwhile.
Having said that, a slightly warmer engine will start better in the cold.
It might be a question best posted as a separate thread so other A-class owners might respond.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are going TWICE this year!

We can't wait either. There's something really really nice about waking up to some beautiful views at a fraction of the price of an apartment.
The cold is never an issue, we have T-shirt weather inside the van at all times!

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
We have an A class with double glazed front side windows, so the windscreen is the only single glazed window. We still use an external insulated screen as it helps reduce condensation on the inside of the screen. it also adds an extra bit of insulation to the others and contributes to helping keep the van warm! It is a van comfort supplied one and has velcro that allows you to drop the front when the sun is shining.

The video above shows the aire at La Rosiere, France. We were there in April and were the only "proper" motorhome. All the others were saisonieres in a very varied collection of ex freezer lorries, panel vans and lots of home made creations. The local marie seems to tolerate them taking up quite a lot of room for the whole season. Not a lot of space left and a somewhat edgy feel to the place we thought. They were friendly enough but there was noise/ music/ dogs barking almost constantly. Worth it for the views !

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are going TWICE this year!

We can't wait either. There's something really really nice about waking up to some beautiful views at a fraction of the price of an apartment.
The cold is never an issue, we have T-shirt weather inside the van at all times!

We are hoping to go twice, once on the way south and if the snow holds another week s skiing on the way back to the UK.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Regarding full cab covers, Hindermann Thermo Jacket Plus is the product I was thinking of.
They do them for quite a few A-classes, although availability is a bit patchy over here. It might be an excuse to visit Germany on the way down!

La Rosiere looks a nice spot for Christmas lunch!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We leave the UK on 27th Dec with the plan being to be at Grand Bornand for 30th ready to see the New Year in. Getting a bit excited now, researching snow chains and a little coat for the dog!

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
Rather disappointed having read the headline, Taking the motor-home skiing, never saw one motor-home on the slopes ;-)

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
Thanks for the link. I am researching all I can as we aim to go this year :)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Regarding full cab covers, Hindermann Thermo Jacket Plus is the product I was thinking of.
They do them for quite a few A-classes, although availability is a bit patchy over here. It might be an excuse to visit Germany on the way down!

La Rosiere looks a nice spot for Christmas lunch!

We were at the Hindermann stand this week at the NEC show, all their products seem to be available from Vancomfort in the UK, the guy on the stand from Vancomfort was Steve Beevers, tel 01777701804,
he will probably still be at the show over the weekend. We will be talking to him next week to get some sample parts. (y)

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We were at the Hindermann stand this week at the NEC show, all their products seem to be available from Vancomfort in the UK, the guy on the stand from Vancomfort was Steve Beevers, tel 01777701804,
he will probably still be at the show over the weekend. We will be talking to him next week to get some sample parts. (y)

We spoke with them today!

No Transit ones in stock!!! The UK retail price quoted was well over the price of suppliers in Germany.

We plan to send a few emails to check shipping costs from Germany to the UK first!

Thanks for the info though.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Almost makes me wanna take up skiing or snowboarding:)

Am I the only one to be impressed by 'shovel cam' :rolleyes:
Have a go at Glencoe or glenshee then, you can park at glencoe for free or pay for a pitch and hook up. Glenshee is the same but you can't book the EHU its first come and only £5 a night. We went skiing for the first time this year at Glencoe and loved it, stayed in the car park for two nights.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Good guy to do business with. As jonandshell say the product prices are higher than they are in the country of manufacture but I have bought in the knowledge that on the rare occasion that there is a balls up Steve sorts it....himself!(y)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi can someone give me some more info re Glenshee! I'm hoping to go up before Xmas and get some lessons. Is the Motorhome parking area easy to find? How many elec hook ups are there? If they are full is it just free to park?

Had a quick look at the ski schools last week and thought Glenshee might be more suited as we have a young child so might need private lessons for him and hubby!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back