Your very first camera ?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by scotjimland, Jan 24, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Rather than tag onto the other debate about buying an SLR I started this one...

When I was about 12 my dad bought me a Halina 35X .. that was my introduction to photography.. a fully manual 35mm camera, no light meter or auto focusing with a manual film winder... I learned about exposure, aperture, shutter speed, film speed, focusing and the relationship between them.. had it right up till I was about 37 .. until my present wife Jan decided I needed something a big more up to date so she bought me an all singing dancing Pentax SLR and a couple of lenses..

[​IMG]
    did I take better photos ? No, they may have been better technically but no better than my photos taken by my old faithful Halina .. Sadly I gave it away when I went full time in the RV ..
    Since moved on from film :Laughing: now use a Nikon D50 .. but still hanker after my old camera..

So.. what was your first camera and do you still have it ??

• Like Like x 2
  2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Yes, I had one of those too Jim. It was a Christmas present when I was around 11 or 12. At the time my dad was very keen on photography and had an Edixa Flex (bet not many people have heard of those - poor man's Nikon F) so I was schooled in control of aperture, shutter and film speed. My dad had a Weston Master to measure exposure, but I had to make do with a plastic dial estimator - mostly the answer was 125th at f8 whatever the shooting situation. I shot B/W film and used my dad's developing and enlarging kit so a printable image could be got from quite a few of my negatives despite my 'rough and ready' exposure estimates.

The Halina 35X was weak in two areas: the lens was quite poor and suffered from light fall-off around the margins; and over time, the focus ring became stiff and almost impossible to turn.
    But it wasn't my first camera - that honour went to the Brownie 127 - a testament to the bakelite-moulder's art!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

My first camera Jim was bought for me by my gradfather when I was about 10 just before I went on holiday with my dad. It was a Brownie 127; unlike yours Jim it had no settings at all, you simply looked through the viewfinder and clicked and hoped you hadn't blurred the image by shaking the camera.

Whilst I enjoyed taking pictures at the time I have never yet found the joy of taking pictures which is why Sue features in very few of our family snapshots.

Norman
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I also started with a Halina 35x and got some good results with it, it taught you what all the figures round the lens meant as you had to use them to get good results.
    Most of my early pictures I took on slide film and learnt a lot from it. But I have never been 100% happy with the pictures I have taken, don't seem to have the eye for it. Have since gone to video and get the results I like and leave the still photography to my wife.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaygee

jaygee Funster

My first camera was a Kodak instamatic with the drop in cartridge film roll that didn't ave to be changed in the dark and had a cbe of four flassh bulbs on the top.

[​IMG]
    (as usual can't seem to display photo!!)

• Like Like x 2
  6. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Mine also was a Kodak Instamatic - bought for my 21st birthday.

Steve

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

first camera

Mine was an Agfa rekord bellows type folding one my Uncle gave it to me when I was 12 it still works Its about 65 years old I have it tucked away in a drawer whenever I take it out for a look it evokes so many happy times :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

olympus OM 1 and i bought ut in singapore . it got bashed n smashed about n still works today, god that was in 73 ,good value

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

My 1st camera was 1/2 a win on the bingo at the seaside! All plastic, view finder (no glass in it you just looked through an empty hole) 127 film when I was 6. Have had a camera ever since.

My husband always complains when I mention I need (well would like another) as I have 2 SLR film (Canon and Nikon) a Bronica SQA (redundant since i stopped doing weddings, portraits etc. (Very hard to get the money in!) and I now have 3 digital cameras!

Also have my Mum and dad's box brownie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Zenit E - took it everywhere, learnt how to develop black+white photos from a book using enlarger from a jumble sale. I used to buy bulk rolls of outdated 400ASA film and snap away.

In the 80's I bought a Nikon FA - it cost me so much of my savings I still have it, although it rarely gets a film in it now.

Sold my soul - gone digital

• Like Like x 1
  11. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Can't believe I'm posting this, but at the time, I was chuffed to beans with this;

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

I was given a second-hand Instamatic. I remember I needed to buy a flash adaptor to use flashcubes because it had a hot-shoe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Time to own up to what's in the loft/under the stairs/den/etc then? Who still has their old cameras?
    My Brownie 127 and Halina are long gone, but I have a Nikon F4S and F801 sitting in boxes - never see a film nowadays. The F801 worked quite hard (it was lighter so got slung over the shoulder when walking) but the F4S is, by professional users' standards, pristine.
    I also have a Bolex 8mm cine camera - my dad traded in his Edixa and went cine. That is a beautifully made piece of engineering, powered by clockwork, but, of course, not used for many years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

I'm sure I have one of these in my parents loft. I'll have to dig it out.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

I've still got all my old cameras. The only one I haven't got is my 1st SLR a Ricoh KR5/10 (can't remember so long ago now) bought with money my Mum and Dad gave me for my 21st. Sold it on so I could buy a Pentax ME Super which was my baby for 17 years until the meter went and wasn't worth replacing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I had one of those too!

Thought it was wicked at the time.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Those flash cubes were great weren't they?

I had forgotten all about them until this thread.

I recall they went all smoky once they had been used.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I think my first was a poloroid, but the first serious camera was an Canon AE1, I had that for a few months and then traded it in Hong Kong for the beauty which I had for many years. The Canon A1 I sold it on ebay just a year or so ago for £100, half what I paid for it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. stcyr

stcyr Funster

1) Mum's old Brownie box in canvas case
    2) Brownie 127
    3) Dad's prewar Zeiss Ikon bellows jobbie with wire frame viewfinder
    4) Rank Mamiya -
    5) Zenit E
    6) Pentax Spotmatic

Still got them all somewhere ... :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  20. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Mine was a Praktica 35mm SLR that my dad owned. I took loads of photos with it - mainly B&W that I developed and printed. My mum still has all the pics! Later on I went to an Oympus OM10. Both cameras long gone. The last 2 film cameras I had were a Bronica and a Rollie. Only sold then about 4 years ago. My first DSLR was a Nikon D70, followed by a D80 and D200. Present DSLR is a D300 with a Leica V-Lux 30 as my point and shoot. Keep looking at the nikon D3s and nikon D4 to as replacements for the D300, but Eddi recons I wont get enough use to justify spending £3-£5k for a new camera body. I on the other hand do :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1