Your route suggestions please (1 Viewer)

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi folks
We have three weeks off next month and want to head to Portugal :thumb:
We've never been before and would welcome some route ideas :thumb:

Cheers nige & sheree

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp
Hi Nige & Sheree

We're not planning to go on such a long trip until we retire but if there are no other suggestions you can get some good routes from michelin I think you can choose options ie sightseeing etc their online route maps I think they show attractions on the map too

Karen

Deleted User
A lot depends on where you are aiming for in Portugal and which crossing you intend to use.With only 3 weeks available I personally would not recommend driving through France unless you want to spend most of the time travelling which, I can understand, may be part of the holiday for you.

In the past when we had limited time we have used Santander or Bilbao one way and driven through France the other. An alternative now is to use a crossing to France and then LD lines St. Nazaire to Gijon which we used to return earlier this year and is a good alternative. Some people say that these long crossings are expensive, which they are, but if you do the sums they wotk out not much different than the long drive, depending on MPG of course.

If you let us know where in Portugal you are aiming for then I am sure I or someone else will advise you of different routes, or do you want advice on where to go in Portugal?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Portugal, Spain & France Dec 2010 - Apr 2011

The link will take you to our trip from last winter & shows the route, zoom in to get a better look, although we went via Zahora, Spain.

Going in winter I do France in 2 days & Spain in 2 days so for 3 weeks it gives you almost 2 weeks in Portugal, unless you get caught up in the French countryside. It took us a month to return through France though. :Cool:

I costed the ferry via Santander & it would cost us an extra £300.00 & that's towing a trailer.

We don't use many toll roads, only the ones that miss out long stretches through small villages that in winter are a barrier to us getting south as quickly as possible.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Nigel and Sheree...

I get to Calais and turn right...

Two days to French/Spainish border (non toll motorway) and one/two days to central Portugal just past Salamanca (only one driver)

...but I prefer taking longer as I enjoy motorhoming which to me always includes driving along gently stopping off here and there for this and that... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

(can do it quicker if need be... my record is leaving Lisbon thursday midnight and arriving London mid day Saturday with one long sleep.... max speed 55mph)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
JJ :Cool:

(can do it quicker if need be... my record is leaving Lisbon thursday midnight and arriving London mid day Saturday with one long sleep.... max speed 55mph)

lisbon -London =1328miles

1328 / 55mph = 24.1454545 hours driving and 12hours sleep nothing to a superman who can make the tedium of driving at night disappear in a flash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It almost seems as if the veracity of my statement of fact is being doubted...:winky:

Let me clarify a couple of things for you Roger (just in case you are checking up on me... :ROFLMAO:)

The "record" run was in an (old) Iveco 60-10.

My sleep was 8 hours... the rest of the time was driving...

Crossed under the channel...

And for this special occasion I used motorways all the way (someone else paid)...

Redo your calculations and sadly you will find I am NOT Superman...:cry:

JJ... :Cool:

PS. It is great not having much to do at a weekend isn't it :ROFLMAO:

pkurzok

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
doing it now

hi guys
we are doing the portugal thing right now.
took the ferry option from portsmouth to santander, it is very boring and if you dont travel well on boats can be a bit of a nightmare but is quicker than driving down. it not cheap so do your sums first and work your cost out . maybe go one way by ferry and drive back and see a bit france.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back