Your iPhone, makes Mifi obsolete ... (2 Viewers)

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, just in case you want to know how to access the Wifi Hotspot in you iphone.

Download the latest software 4.3 (via itunes). Go into settings on the phone and then to Personal Hotspot and turn it ON. This will give you the wifi password for the ipad. Go to wifi in the ipad settings (or laptop etc) and chose the iphone. Enter the code.

Hey presto, you now have wifi anywhere with a phone signal (assuming you have data in your phone package).

The iphone even has a power save facility for when the ipad is not accessing the web.

Much better than the basic tether, it realy doesn't work between the 2 apple units.

Being a Hotspot, other users can go on line as well (if you give them the code) but in all fairness 3g data is a bit slower than a line based modem.

This is exactly what the iphone/ipad users have been waiting for.::bigsmile:

Hope this helps

Regards Richard

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thank you for that. Although when i clicked on personal hotspot I was told I will have to ring orange. (Iphone)

Just to confirm though, I don't have an Ipad, but can I set up a personal hotspot and then run my laptop through it?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My Samsung Galaxy S is set up to do this with an AP setting as standard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
While I have used the iphone hotspot, its good, especially for low use or casual use, but its just not suitable for us for a couple of reasons; firstly the data tariff we have with the iphone is expensive. I already have a great deal with 3; 5gb for £7.50, so this sim is in the wifi. Also when I leave the van with my iphone, I am not nicking the rest of the family's internet connection, or killing my phone battery. It cost £70 with a card that had 3gb on it. A superb bit of kit that works right out of the box, so 5 devices can connect, just yesterday it was being used in our motorhome via a laptop, ipad and a kindle.

Also for 15 euros mine is unlocked, which means that data cards from france will work in it along with other PAYG cards I have collected over the past couple of years. To keep swapping these with the phone sim would be a pain. its just so convenient to have your own wifi in the motorhome, independent of your phone. I can't recommend 3 myfi highly enough. :thumb:

OP
OP
Scotties

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Yes Hagnap you should, assuming your provider is not trying to get even more of your 'sheckles'. We occasionally lose the broadband at home (should have paid the bill) and the wifi from the iPhone was very useful.

For Jim, having a sepparate WiFi makes a lot of sense.

How did we ever manage without all these clever contraptions:RollEyes:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I downloaded 4.3, but can't see the personal hotspot item does this apply to the 4G only or the 3GS also?

OP
OP
Scotties

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Personal Hotspot ...

Hi, go to settings, down to General, into Network and there it is nearly at the bottom of the page.

Once we had used it a couple of times it came up on the first page of Settings.

We are Vodafone and other cariers may be different.

Hope this helps:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
This personal Hot spot gizmo seems nothing more than a normal tethering bolt on that allows other devices to link up at the same time
Check your service provider first,:thumb: you could end up paying dearly for the out of plan data used, you cant just use it with exsisting data plans on the i phone with all providers:Eeek:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Is there a mifi router out there that would take the Vodaphone USB PAYG dongle?

Yes, the "3" mifi dongle. :whatthe:

You can buy it unlocked, or just download an unlock procedure from the net.:thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Also for 15 euros mine is unlocked, which means that data cards from france will work in it along with other PAYG cards I have collected over the past couple of years. To keep swapping these with the phone sim would be a pain. its just so convenient to have your own wifi in the motorhome, independent of your phone. I can't recommend 3 myfi highly enough.

Jim,

Can you let us know where you got the mifi unlocked for 15 euros, please.....thats a great deal, and will outstip any UK roaming charge by miles, or ££££:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Also for 15 euros mine is unlocked, which means that data cards from france will work in it along with other PAYG cards I have collected over the past couple of years. To keep swapping these with the phone sim would be a pain. its just so convenient to have your own wifi in the motorhome, independent of your phone. I can't recommend 3 myfi highly enough.

Jim,

Can you let us know where you got the mifi unlocked for 15 euros, please.....thats a great deal, and will outstip any UK roaming charge by miles, or ££££:thumb:

My brother unlocked mine, I'm sure it was unlocked with a download from the web, I will ask him today how he did it. Meanwhile, a quick search says he probably used this site http://www.dc-unlocker.com/

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just found this too, you can easily buy it unlocked for any network:thumb:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Wireless-Modem-Huawei-E585/dp/B003aVHT37U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301903375&sr=8-1[/ame]

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks chaps - One final question (before we go back on topic) I'm looking for a simple 12v type router that would take my PAYG Vodaphone sim, which I can fix to the van on a permanent basis and it's got to be cheap(ish). Anything fit the bill?

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E583C-Mi-Fi-router-unlocked/dp/B004BVKH5C[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Wireless-Modem-Huawei-E585/dp/B003VHT37U/ref=pd_cp_ce_0[/ame]

Are these what we're talking about?

Answered my own question... Here is a good video and a good price

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, they are charged by a mini USB so that can be used with any Cig lighter USB adapter, so could easily be hard wired into the motorhome. The battery on mine lasts about 6 hours.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Autoquest... do you have a dongle which you use with your sim? If so, the Vodafone sharing dock might be more affordable for you (My Portuguese one was €29. I just plugged my dongle into the dock and Hey Presto... wi-fi in Wagon.

The Dock came with a 240v/12v adaptor which I use my inverter to power.

I guess I might be able to power it directly from the van electrics although I think it is 12volts a/c... (I didn't know there was such stuff but apparently there is.)

Here in the UK I am with T Mobile and am getting a similar thingy from them (£60) which has an internal, rechargeable battery (when the delivery arrives.)

JJ

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks JJ but my new Huawei E585 arrives this afternoon (unlocked) so in preparation I have my laptop and K3565 Vodaphone dongle in work as well.....

The shocker is my USB dongle DOESN'T have a micro SD card inside the slot:Doh:

Suggestions anyone :shout:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Autoquest... do you have a dongle which you use with your sim? If so, the Vodafone sharing dock might be more affordable for you (My Portuguese one was €29. I just plugged my dongle into the dock and Hey Presto... wi-fi in Wagon.

JJ,
Do you know if the Sharing Dock works only if you are using a Vodafone network? I have a Huawei E220 USB Modem (which is on the list of supported devices) but normally use a "3" SIM in it because the coverage is better.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ,
Do you know if the Sharing Dock works only if you are using a Vodafone network? I have a Huawei E220 USB Modem (which is on the list of supported devices) but normally use a "3" SIM in it because the coverage is better.
Afraid I am not sure about this... my guess would be that Vodafone have probably done something to prevent using another network...:Sad:

JJ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Afraid I am not sure about this... my guess would be that Vodafone have probably done something to prevent using another network...:Sad:

JJ

Thanks. I've been in touch with Vodafone and you're right. The woman I spoke to said that the sharing dock will only work with a Vodafone SIM.

Pity but, as I said to her, I will be better off buying a 3 MiFi unit because the coverage is better and (as I'm getting used to) Vodafone's loss is 3's gain :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back