Dan The motorhome man

Free Member
Nov 9, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 208d autotrail
Exp
I had a cheap tap in the kitchen from ebay and from the moment I got it nothing but leaky troubles ensued. So today after the plastic finally gave up with a pop I bodged it. I wanna see your best bodges!
20151201_164552.jpg

Also avoid these cheap taps like the plague!20151201_164621.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't have a picture any more but the rod in my thetford toilet broke meaning I couldn't use it.

I used a 5" section of chrome pipe slotted over the rod, I drilled through and used a split pin to hold it in place.
I then pushed a length of wood dowel down it and cut it off at the top. I then used a pair of mole grips on it as a handle.

this lasted over 2 years before I got round to fixing it.

The duct tape in the shower tray is now on year 3 without having to be replaced.

Blue tac is used to stop the bolt on the bathroom door coming undone when travelling..

These are the three that stand out....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

Free Member
Nov 9, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 208d autotrail
Exp
I don't have a picture any more but the rod in my thetford toilet broke meaning I couldn't use it.

I used a 5" section of chrome pipe slotted over the rod, I drilled through and used a split pin to hold it in place.
I then pushed a length of wood dowel down it and cut it off at the top. I then used a pair of mole grips on it as a handle.

The duct tape in the shower tray is now on year 3 without having to be replaced.

Blue tac is used to stop the bolt on the bathroom door coming undone when travelling..

If my toilet ever breaks im definitely doing this!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I use Armaflex tape to stop doors rattling, it's black foam about 3mm thick with self adhesive backing. Brilliant stuff. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On previous van ripped the bottom off the gas locker in Slovenia, held it together with a cam lock strap and loads of gaffer tape.
A pic of what happened when I took the strap & tape off & the repair, took advantage of the misshap and raised the bottom of the locker 2" for more ground clearance.

Gas Locker Repair-1.jpg
Gas Locker Repair-4.jpg
Gas Locker Repair-6.jpg
Gas Locker Repair-7.jpg
Gas Locker Repair-8.jpg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Raising the (metal shed) garage door to accommodate my Elddis, involved some permanent scaffolding, a core drill and two bottle jacks ;)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our shower mixer started leaking whilst in Shetland a few years ago, the frost had got to it over the winter. Hung an empty plastic milk bottle, suitably carved out, under the assembly, emptied it every few days. Lasted weeks until I could get it dry then araldited the whole thing together, still okay after all these years.

Deleted User
Our old van's exhaust started to blow when we were coming to the end of our holiday in Med France, I prepped myself with the following "kit"

Bean tin
Jubilee clips
Copper wire

The exhaust actually survived right up to Rouen, when it finally decided to part from the silencer box.

10 mins later with the "repair kit" and a pair of Leroy Merlin pliers we were on our way!!

The "Bodge" lasted all the way home with hardly any noticeable extra noise - replacement part (front pipe) cost about £20 including delivery from Poland (bargain)

Port-le-Grand-20130817-00023.jpg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Our old van's exhaust started to blow when we were coming to the end of our holiday in Med France, I prepped myself with the following "kit"

Bean tin
Jubilee clips
Copper wire

The exhaust actually survived right up to Rouen, when it finally decided to part from the silencer box.

10 mins later with the "repair kit" and a pair of Leroy Merlin pliers we were on our way!!

The "Bodge" lasted all the way home with hardly any noticeable extra noise - replacement part (front pipe) cost about £20 including delivery from Poland (bargain)

View attachment 84768
High class bodge (y)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

The bonus being Grommet, you always know where to find your molegrips(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My telly stands on a piece of locker panelling that has another piece attached to it across the centre with a hinge. When viewed from the ends the two pieces form a hinged 'T' shape. The vertical bit is then wedged between the back of the upright dinette seat cushion and its wooden back support. The telly stands on the flat bit, held secure with two short lengths of webbing. When we're not watching the telly I fold the stand up and stow it away flat.

My other invention is a length of planed wood the width of our cab. At either end I've attached metal angle brackets that drop into the holes in the door arm rests. In the middle of the length of wood is a webbing strap that attaches to the driver's seat base with a quick release clip. The result is added door security when parked, with quick release if a rapid exit is needed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Definitions:
Bodge - a modification an owner does to their van.
Modification - a bodge the manufacturer does to a van before it leaves the factory.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back