You can park for 18 hours but can't sleep ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Apr 18, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Probably need Graham's @GJH expert knowledge on council parking matters.. but can anyone explain why you can pay to park for 18 hours in a council car park, but overnight camping is banned?

.. As I understand it, there is no legal definition of 'camping' in a vehicle.

Sign at Aldeburgh beach car park..

DSCF1310.JPG

Attached Files:

2. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

A strange local council decision

• Like Like x 1
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

It seems to be sort of accepted that putting internal screens or curtains up and getting into bed is parking, setting up awnings, deck chairs and satellites is camping. Whether that's what is meant in this case I guess you would have to ask the council enforcement team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

yes.. that is the 'sort of accepted' definition.. but as far as I know there is no legal definition of 'camping' in a vehicle..

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

How would they know you were sleeping? Could you not be meditating...

• Like Like x 3
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Same sort in Blackpool car park too. When I queried it I was told "No sleeping in vehicle overnight. The car parks can be used by people perhaps not being able to park at their hotel accomodation.
    If you are in bed, lights out etc then how would anyone know if you were sleeping in it or not?

• Like Like x 4
  7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Depends how loud you snore...

• Like Like x 8
  8. scotjimland

don't suppose the owner of the camp site across the road had any hand in the matter ..:whistle2:

just me being cynical.. of course he didn't.. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6
  9. alan

alan Funster

In Hove and Brighton the days parking. Covers you for 24 hours, the signs there states no sleeping overnight.
    I've never had any problems though last year the police breathalised a lad that was parked behind me sleeping in his car.
    Alan
    Now a caravanner no legs down will I only be parking?????

• Like Like x 1
  10. rapido convert

rapido convert

Jim,
    Its impossible to enforce that rule, there is no law against sleeping in a vehicle if there was we would all starve to death as no one would have any food deliverys from waggons.
    Plus you get a knock on the door in the night you either ignor then no one is in or you answer and you are not asleep.
    Simples.
    Cheers
    Andy.

• Like Like x 9
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

@ScotJimland @mjltigger @haganap @irnbru @rapido convert
    1. What is "accepted" by anyone other than the council involved is irrelevant. Councils normally either define particular activities in their orders (e.g. cooking, sleeping) or use "human habitation" as in the 1960 Act.
    2. Car parks generally only have planning permission for parking, not use as a caravan site (which, under the 1960 Act, is what a car park becomes as soon as human habitation is allowed). An application for caravan site use might well be opposed by local site owners in just the same way as business owners might object to any other application.
    3. Because the definitions cover more than sleeping then it is not difficult to make a case that human habitation is taking place and issue a ticket on that basis - i.e. it is not impossible to enforce.
    4. The particular case of Aldeburgh came about as a result of people taking the ****, as explained in another thread a few weeks ago (can't look for it now as I'm at Peterborough).
    5. Sleeping in lay-bys &c is covered by road legislation, so is not subject to the 1960 Act and is different from car parks. See the page on my web site.

• Like Like x 10
  12. scotjimland

thanks Graham.. I knew you had the answer.. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

I would think it is to stop those who may abuse the times allowed, here in Spain there are lots of areas which use to be simply car parks which now appear to be permanent motor home camp sites for free loaders :(

14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

All the Suffolk Coast Traffic Regulation Orders are here.
    http://www.suffolkcoastal.gov.uk/yourdistrict/carparks/orders/

SUFFOLK COASTAL DISTRICT
    COUNCIL (OFF-STREET PARKING
    PLACES) ORDER 2008

"Motorised Caravan" means a motorised or self-propelled caravan, camper van, dormobile, motorhome or similar vehicle and includes any bus, coach, lorry, van or other vehicle adapted for human habitation whether permanent or temporary;

Other Uses Prohibited

No person shall except with the permission of any parking attendant or other person duly authorised by the Council drive any motor vehicle or motor-cycle in a parking place other than for the purpose of leaving that motor vehicle or motor-cycle in the parking place in accordance with the provisions of this Order or for the purpose of departing from the parking place and while a motor vehicle or motor-cycle or caravan is in any parking place no person shall use any part of that parking place;

(a) for sleeping or camping purposes;

(b) for cooking purposes;
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many local authorities ban overnight parking on their car parks. 6am to Midnight would give you 18 hours of parking.

York City ban any vehicle equipped for sleeping from parking 24/7 even if it fits under a height barrier and into a marked bay. You can only use the out of town P&R sites.

This type of ban is common in UK car parks.

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Just how do they know you are sleeping ? If they knock on the door and wake you up, you answer the door then you are not sleeping :):DUnenforceable (y):DTell em to stop interrupting your kip :LOL:(y)
    terry

• Like Like x 4
  16. scotjimland

my other gripe is the number of new height barriers that have sprung up since we last toured the UK ... they are springing up like weeds .. and just as welcome.. :mad:

In Scotland many pick-nick spots now have them which is effectively discrimination against owners of motorhomes.. .. .. not talking about camping or over-nighting.. just day visiting.. ie parking. not camping, and before the 'it's to stop travelers' excuse is spouted.. .. I don't buy that .. That may or may not be part of the problem.. if it is, then it should be addressed and dealt with by the law, not by installing height barriers unilaterally stopping all high vehicles from using the parking

.. IMO the main reason is to herd motorhomes into camping sites..

now that's off my chest I feel a lot better .. not.. :LOL:

• Like Like x 9
  17. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Its to stop the " Itinerants" setting up camp.
    If you go up the road to Sizewell you can stay overnight.
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

19. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Same old story the councillors don't have the bottle to take the Itinerant's
    On so they pick an easy target.
    As in all forms of political "jobs" they feather their own nest what a bunch of useless tossers.

Sorry but they make me puke.

• Like Like x 7
  20. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I wish you'd stop sitting on the fence, and tell us how you really feel about it.

• Like Like x 2