You buy the van, but that's just the start (1 Viewer)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Having camped for many years, realised we need a bit more comfort these days we thought time for a van. Went for a wee look and bought one first afternoon. I am thinking, we have all that camping stuff, it can transfer over. Nae chance. We are not using all that old tat we need new stuff, was the cry. Crockery, cutlery kitchen stuff, cooker and barbeque for outdoor cooking, a step, fleece blankets tele etc etc. Then I found M H F and started reading various threads. The original tyres which still had lots of tread, 11 years old now, new tyres please. Refillable gas seems a good idea, trip to Thirsk. Engine mapping, I will have some of that! Now where was that bit about solar panels? I recon I must be near £3k in extras, a lot of it down to you lot in here.

and certainly things like tyres would not have crossed my mind, and for .
everything else I have found the advice extremely helpful.

So a big thanks all, and I am hoping to get to a meet soon and meet some of you.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I found similar, my shopping list got bigger by the day as I read all the recommendations on here.
It can`t be beaten though for useful advice, tips and help.
I for one would have been lost without this site and the funsters who are so generous with their knowledge (y)

PS my wine cellar contains 550 wines from all continents around the world and has a staff of three looking after it and re-stocking at regular intervals.

Isle 23 at Asda

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
We're quite new as well.

There are always bits I want.
Don't forget a decent inverter.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Sounds familiar! We went from a trailer tent to the van, not that much of the kit made it across really.

The van came with a satellite system (which we hardly use), a TV with built-in DVD, a bike rack, solar panel and wind-out awning - so we probably started off better than most. The previous owners were stopping using a MH so left all their kit - so it also came with hose reel, camping chairs, "safari room", hook up cable, gas bottles & ramps.

When I bought it I knew it needed mechanical work that would cost close to £1000 - full service, cambelt, exhaust, CV gaitor and a few other bits - but the price was so good that was justified.

It's the other bits I've bought that have added up! None of which I really planning to do when I bought it.

Air assisted suspension - invaluable
"Noisekiller" sound deadening kit
Full rustproofing - we plan to keep it for a while
Refillable gas bottle
Engine remap
3 new tyres (rear & spare) due to age
Steady legs for the back
Froli kit for the beds
2 leisure batteries
New DAB radio and speakers
New clutch
Cruise control
Sat Nav
And loads and loads and loads of small bits, fitting extra lights inside, USB charging points, ladder for kids bunk, new barbeque, folding bike, water carriers, bedding, and on, on and on!!!!

I don't want to add the cost up - far too scary! Still, we're enjoying it and that's what matters.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
common occurrance then? I'm up to £2.500 on new bits and stuff- and still going ( most on neglected items):hot:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
[QUOTE="Dognewf, post: 1908220, member: 40010 I recon I must be near £3k in extras, a lot of it down to you lot in here.

Good God!

My first house only cost me £3120 including luxury fitted kitchen. (OK , that was Estate Agent speak. It was a few cupboards and a sink).

That was for a brand new, semi-detached house.

Oh boy, do I feel old!:eek:

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Don't worry, I met an old friend today who went down the boating, sorry, yachting, route. He's the same as us, house full of magazines, registered on various forums and, crucially, out of pocket on all manner of needless crap.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
It used to be the opposite sex you lust after,now its things to
get for your Motorhome!:X3:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It used to be the opposite sex you lust after,now its things to
get for your Motorhome!:X3:
had to read your post twice. i was certain you said YOU used to be the opposite sex

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Ther is always something that you need or want, stuff you buy and use once ,then there is the old "that's a good idea"thing it is endless

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Then , you decide to trade her in:LOL:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
.........and when you've spent all that dosh getting the vehicle up to standard and all those necessary accessories fitted - you realise it has the wrong layout for you and you have to start all over again.
Such is life:)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We were only discussing last night. After getting the awning, bike rack - sorry bbq rack, alarm, solar, more batts, inverter and sat dome, Is there anything else we need for BanHam now? No. I said, but still loads I want. :LOL:(y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
You are all quite right of course, though I think as you've got away with just £2500-£3000 you haven't finished yet, and anyway there are members on here like @eddievanbitz and @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes that need your hard earned to be able to Holiday in Port Grimaud or fill the starboard tank with 300 gallons of white diesel.

There is always the occasional bargain to be had, mostly off @Minxy Girl and others who often sell hardly used gear at reasonable prices, or electric bikes like my two Folding A S bikes which I'm thinking of selling, there is no end to this wanton attitude towards the £ sterling.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's called "nesting" (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you sit back and add it all up assesories , insurance, etc it can be cheaper to fly off on a package deal. All about choices.

But a package holiday is not nearly so much fun - nor such an adventure.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I am just moving our stuff into our new van. Thought I had everything but the colours are different so throws, bedding, cushions etc are not right. Then all my storage is different sizes so need different baskets/boxes. I think a trip to ikea is needed :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back