Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
tunnel then Asia, Turkey, India or maybe the holy land. will cover approx. 8,000 miles in 3 months as we never stay long in one place.
So when do you leave on this epic trip Paul.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok mate here goes.
Over the channel France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark then over to Sweden by the Malmo bridge/tunnel. Up to Oslo the across to the coast and follow the coast and fiords all the way north. Make sure to stop at Trondheim and Tromso drive the Trollstigen and visit the Lofoten Isalands. Catch a ferry to Svalbard then on an old Russian icebreaker and go as far north as the ice allows. Back to mainland and all the way to Nordkapp before heading south through Finland following the Russian border ( with a visit if visa allows). From Helsinki ferry to Estonia then Latvia, Lithuania and Poland (Auschvitz and Warsaw) visit Prague before heading back through Germany and heading back home.

Whaddya reckon about 6500 miles plus the icebreaker trip which takes about 8 days.
Planning this trip hopefully next year after skiing

Heres a map for a rough guide see you at Nordkapp on the 15th :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Sorry Rory....you broke the rules twice....

ferry to Svalbard Broken Link Removed

ferry to Eastonia Broken Link Removed

three times if you include the icebreaker :RollEyes:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Any particular time of year ?

if we are talking winter, tunnel then east north east.... 130 miles a day to go to my destination and back in 90 days

Alaska.. Cross on the ice at the Bering Straight
Road of bones...in a motorhome, i think not mate. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Ok mate here goes.
Over the channel France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark then over to Sweden by the Malmo bridge/tunnel. Up to Oslo the across to the coast and follow the coast and fiords all the way north. Make sure to stop at Trondheim and Tromso drive the Trollstigen and visit the Lofoten Isalands. Catch a ferry to Svalbard then on an old Russian icebreaker and go as far north as the ice allows. Back to mainland and all the way to Nordkapp before heading south through Finland following the Russian border ( with a visit if visa allows). From Helsinki ferry to Estonia then Latvia, Lithuania and Poland (Auschvitz and Warsaw) visit Prague before heading back through Germany and heading back home.

Whaddya reckon about 6500 miles plus the icebreaker trip which takes about 8 days.
Planning this trip hopefully next year after skiing

Heres a map for a rough guide see you at Nordkapp on the 15th :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Pappajohn missed out the numerous ferries that need to be crossed driving north in Norway along the west coast instead of driving round the fjords.

Nigel and Pamala

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
If money is no issue I would get that super big Russian cargo plane to take me to Perth Australia and drive across Australia from Perth to Sydney taking 4 or 5 weeks, then meet up with my chartered cargo plane for a lift over to LA USA and a slow meander across the USA from LA to Orlando and then a final lift back to Heathrow UK and follow the M3 to get back home. Fantasy travel for dreamers dot com.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Road of bones...in a motorhome, i think not mate. :Eeek:

Why ever not ? ::bigsmile:

The Terrawind should take it on no trouble !!

Link Removed

It is high enough, and with suitable winches should be able to handle the more vertical climbs out of the two worst rivers..

And of course proper luxury too !!!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ok. I'm giving you all 3 months off to travel.

Your only proviso is that you have to go in the motorhome and can't take a ferry.

You have as much cash as you need...

What will you aim to see?

Where will you go?

How many miles will your trip be?

Fire away....
Motorhomes have many advantages but I think this little exercise proves one thing. Owning a motorhome can be restrictive and at times a hindrance to take away with you

Russia or Alaska or the US or anywhere other than easy Europe are not a realistic option. Getting proper insurance, fear of being robbed of your riches, cost of fuel can make travailing afar an unrealistic exercise.

Dont get me wrong, I love owning a camper but not for long haul, that’s what aircraft are for. If I had three months of unlimited funds, using a motorhome would be the last on my list.:Cool:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Motorhomes have many advantages but I think this little exercise proves one thing. Owning a motorhome can be restrictive and at times a hindrance to take away with you

Russia or Alaska or the US or anywhere other than easy Europe are not a realistic option. Getting proper insurance, fear of being robbed of your riches, cost of fuel can make travailing afar an unrealistic exercise.

Dont get me wrong, I love owning a camper but not for long haul, that’s what aircraft are for. If I had three months of unlimited funds, using a motorhome would be the last on my list.:Cool:

Some of us can't fly :Smile:

So we have what's left, and on the contrary , I think with 3 months and lads of dosh, using the camper woud be first on my list.

If I had given longer some may of driven in too china, I ill head for Asia via turkey.

There's many many options out there with a MH an things you will never see and people you will never meet if using a boing

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Some of us can't fly :Smile:

So we have what's left, and on the contrary , I think with 3 months and lads of dosh, using the camper woud be first on my list.

If I had given longer some may of driven in too china, I ill head for Asia via turkey.

There's many many options out there with a MH an things you will never see and people you will never meet if using a boing
Yeah each to their own, would you be happy leaving your prize possessions down a side street in Katmandu, insurance could be a problem but I'm no expert.

A relative of mine drove an old vw camper to Australia some years ago just himself and his girlfriend. Great experience in your twenties but I couldn't be bothered with all that nonsense now. I would sooner hop on a jet.

I wouldn't say no to some long train journeys though across india russia or australia, I find that very appealing.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Yeah each to their own, would you be happy leaving your prize possessions down a side street in Katmandu, insurance could be a problem but I'm no expert.

A relative of mine drove an old vw camper to Australia some years ago just himself and his girlfriend. Great experience in your twenties but I couldn't be bothered with all that nonsense now. I would sooner hop on a jet.

I wouldn't say no to some long train journeys though across india russia or australia, I find that very appealing.
i agree!
days on end sat at the wheel is not my idea of fun:Sad:
if money was no object i would not even own a motorhome,the reason i own a motorhome is cheap holidays in the uk,end of:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
i agree!
if money was no object i would not even own a motorhome,the reason i own a motorhome is cheap holidays in the uk,end of:thumb:
Just read your personal details on the left. Made me smile.....:ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Since this is fantasy, it would be sunny all the time and my family would be off on their own travels. I'd go up to Norway, Finland, Russia and down to Greece. I think that would be my 3 months up. Chris, for me the pleasure is in looking around at the scenery, deciding where we'll stop for a cuppa and even putting the kettle on, meeting and talking to new people, snuggling down for a cosy night in that huge bed, the list goes on. These are all the things I'll remember (if anything) when I'm sitting looking out of the window in the old people's home. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Since this is fantasy, it would be sunny all the time and my family would be off on their own travels. I'd go up to Norway, Finland, Russia and down to Greece. I think that would be my 3 months up. Chris, for me the pleasure is in looking around at the scenery, deciding where we'll stop for a cuppa and even putting the kettle on, meeting and talking to new people, snuggling down for a cosy night in that huge bed, the list goes on. These are all the things I'll remember (if anything) when I'm sitting looking out of the window in the old people's home. ::bigsmile:

Ivy
ivy! when i am out in the motorhome i do all the driving,something i hate doing,and when driving i get little time to look at the scenery,look at us in spain last year,i drove us all over the place,but have very few memories of the scenery,unless we were parked up:Doh:
i admire people that enjoy driving,but for me it's a chore,and the reason i chose to fly to spain last year.:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Apart from Desert Detours there is a German company who arrange some very adventurous tours-one day,one day.
Link Removed

The one I fancy is 'In the footsteps of Marco Polo'

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Buttons / Chris green

If you don't like motorhoming and don't want the 3 months no expenses paid trip, you can stay here and work. Maybe keep the forum going by moaning about the weather and the government whilst those of us that enjoy motorhoming do just that :Smile:

See you when we get back with more stories than you can shake a stick at.::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Each to their own eh!!
I've flown all over the world and in wouldn't bother me if I never got on another plane I find the whole experience absolute hell from start to finish. Having said that I will because flying is a necessary evil if you want to travel I'll be flying to Houston in May then riding my GS1200 to Alaska and back. The fun bit will be the bike journey the flight will be awful but necessary .:Sad:

Strange how we're all different and like different things I only enjoy travel now by motorhome or motorbike and occasionally train I don't even want to drive a car anymore in fact we were talking the other day about selling mine and just keeping Jans because I really don't want to drive it, just being part of the herd doesn't appeal.

Perhaps because in my twenties I was working 7 days a week and never got the chance to travel much apart from a week in Cornwall in the summer if I was lucky I'm making up for it now. For me the journey not the destination is what its all about and by using alternative means I've seen and met some amazing people and now have friends on 4 continents, something I don't think I would have achieved by flying and wasting away in some flash hotel and resort. Done that not for me anymore.::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons / Chris green

If you don't like motorhoming and don't want the 3 months no expenses paid trip, you can stay here and work. Maybe keep the forum going by moaning about the weather and the government whilst those of us that enjoy motorhoming do just that :Smile:

See you when we get back with more stories than you can shake a stick at.::bigsmile:
Let me know where and when you are due to arrive and I will fly in and have a cold beer waiting for you, you will probably need it:winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Let me know where and when you are due to arrive and I will fly in and have a cold beer waiting for you, you will probably need it:winky:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah and while we have a beer with you we'll entertain you with tales from the road about things we've seen and people we've met. You'll be so jealous you'll buy us another beer so you can hear more about our adventure.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Each to their own eh!!
I've flown all over the world and in wouldn't bother me if I never got on another plane I find the whole experience absolute hell from start to finish. Having said that I will because flying is a necessary evil if you want to travel I'll be flying to Houston in May then riding my GS1200 to Alaska and back. The fun bit will be the bike journey the flight will be awful but necessary .:Sad:

Strange how we're all different and like different things I only enjoy travel now by motorhome or motorbike and occasionally train I don't even want to drive a car anymore in fact we were talking the other day about selling mine and just keeping Jans because I really don't want to drive it, just being part of the herd doesn't appeal.

Perhaps because in my twenties I was working 7 days a week and never got the chance to travel much apart from a week in Cornwall in the summer if I was lucky I'm making up for it now. For me the journey not the destination is what its all about and by using alternative means I've seen and met some amazing people and now have friends on 4 continents, something I don't think I would have achieved by flying and wasting away in some flash hotel and resort. Done that not for me anymore.::bigsmile:
Houston to Alaska and back sounds fantastic I'm presuming the GS1200 is a motor bike.:winky: Strange but I still really enjoy driving but I have been motorhoming for many years so perhaps I am getting a bit bored with the long haul aspect.
What are your sleeping arrangements for your trip to Alaska are you tenting or spoiling yourself.:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah and while we have a beer with you we'll entertain you with tales from the road about things we've seen and people we've met. You'll be so jealous you'll buy us another beer so you can hear more about our adventure.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:
I can see you have not heard some of my tales of terminal 5 :roflmto: I once shared a lift with lady GaGa wearing a thong, her not me.:Smile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Houston to Alaska and back sounds fantastic I'm presuming the GS1200 is a motor bike.:winky: Strange but I still really enjoy driving but I have been motorhoming for many years so perhaps I am getting a bit bored with the long haul aspect.
What are your sleeping arrangements for your trip to Alaska are you tenting or spoiling yourself.:Smile:

A mixture of both. Jans not into tenting but hasn't got much choice this trip.::bigsmile:
Have had to pre book some hotels / motels as accommodation is hard to get in some areas especially the far north of Alaska

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
i agree!
actually it is my idea of fun, I cannot walk far so to see places I need to drive and when away usually cover 2000 miles in 3 weeks always have and thats not motorway driving going hell for leather either. I am not keen on flying and like Paul have dogs to consider so a motorhome is idea. Turkey is a fantastic country of contrasts and most likely the origin for most of our ancestors after Africa of course, the viking trade routes, in fact all the trade routes of the middle and far east come through there. The smell of spices in the marketplaces must be amazing and he people are most welcoming.

ps.they offer a good price for your women as well

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[/COLOR]
A mixture of both. Jans not into tenting but hasn't got much choice this trip.::bigsmile:
Have had to pre book some hotels / motels as accommodation is hard to get in some areas especially the far north of Alaska
I'm not jealous honest:cry:Could be worth taking some repellent though.

Alaska has 35 species of mosquito, and all but a few will be more than happy to nibble on humans. But mosquitoes are only really an issue for Alaska visitors from the second week in June to the last week in July.

While the legend is correct that mosquitoes can gather in ferocious swarms in the unofficial record of the most mosquitoes killed in a single swat is 78.:winky:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Given the choice , 3 months money no object , I too would fly to lots of far away exotic places.:Cool: :thumb:

We too use our MH for breaks in GB , we love it and enjoy every outing.
But we fly for our main holidays .
This year , Crete ( Aghia Galini where we married 19 years ago) for 2 weeks in August with the kids.
Then the Maldives for Bevs 50th , 1st class all the way , no kids :Cool::winky:

We'd love to do the round GB trip too . Its on our to do list.
So if we had to use the MH thats what we would do , and we would thoroughly enjoy it.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Oh so much to say, so little time. We could go everywhere, but age, health and time is against us now, or is it courage? I'd love to tour the States, East to West or up or down in a MH or car, who cares. I suspect that should have been North and South. However, if we had done this and had these dreams at an earlier time, I was still working, no time to think of MHs, the family was independent. Now, all these things matter and the family, now with children, is not so independent. Sometimes, you have to accept that things might happen that you will never experience. I suspect that men will have a different view when it comes to family needs. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
ONLY three months ............loads of Britain I've never visited, when retired intend to right that wrong but if I have to leave tomorrow I'll lose myself in France for 3 months.....heaven.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back