Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I know Yokohama have good name in performance car circles but has anyone got any fitted to their motorhome?
It would be interesting to know how they compare to their European counterparts.

We are desperately in need of new tyres and their 'all season' commercial tyre is very good value at some outlets at the present time.

Any experiences with this brand in a commercial tyre context would be very welcomed!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Soft compound, hence their popularity in performace car circles. Grip well in the dry wear very quickly indeed!

Hve a look at some Maxxis, Kumho or more budget line Roadstone - they all last nd perform well

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Soft compound, hence their popularity in performace car circles. Grip well in the dry wear very quickly indeed!

Hve a look at some Maxxis, Kumho or more budget line Roadstone - they all last nd perform well

However, I did hear that soft compounds don't get sidewall cracking so easily, so can last longer than a hard compound on a motorhome that does very few miles compared to a commercial vehicle and is unlikely ever to use up its tread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Vangos

I went for Continental Vango 225 x 75 x 16 £132 fitted ( each ) , very quiet ( i had to turn the pre set on the radio and the sat nav volume down ), good feel to the road dosent wander on over banding etc .

They enjoyed the Moroccan Trip :ROFLMAO:

The MH was on Michelin campers , the Vangos are far better.:thumb:

out of interest the original tyres were 215s but were £30 each more expensive :Eeek:
so i went for the 225s ,

Regards Graham

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had Yokohama tyres on both past and present Subarus and they are excellent. However for a motorhome, I'm not so sure. According to a Promobil test that I was reading online yesterday, they voted Continental Vanco Four Season the best of the bunch. I think this is the link (which you can translate using Google).
http://www.promobil.de/test/drei-wetter-haft-93080.html

Contis are probably a bit more expensive but this seems a fair price:
Broken Link Removed

p.s. I've had Conti Vanco 2 on the motorhome for five years and they are good (not the all-season version though - might try them next time).

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
However, I did hear that soft compounds don't get sidewall cracking so easily, so can last longer than a hard compound on a motorhome that does very few miles compared to a commercial vehicle and is unlikely ever to use up its tread.

You would think so, I would agree - but reality is different. A motorhome is effectively a fullen laden large van when you take weight into consideration. When carrying weight, you need a stiffer compound tyre to cope. The 'bounce' to get with heavy vehicles is handled alot better with stiffer sidewalls, as is the cornering as it resists the weight put on it. A softer compound would flatten easier, and be more like driving a jelly around.

I always go a few brands up from budget and replace every three years. This will put you into the medium/hard compound bracket that will give good value for money without loss of grip or performance.

Other tip I woild advise, is to see if there is a similar van in your neighbourhood. They would happily have your old tyres for £100 a set, and more often just means changing the steel wheels. This means you get £100 a set, and your neighbour saves money too!

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi ive just had Hankooks fitted. 215/70 R15C Michellins were on originally with loads of tread and good side walls but due to being 9 year old i changed them. The new Hankooks match up very well to the michellin spec when going through the data sheet with the fitter and at £87.50 per tyre compared to £140 each for the michellins it seems a very good choice. And they felt better on cornering coming back to.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Hi ive just had Hankooks fitted. 215/70 R15C Michellins were on originally with loads of tread and good side walls but due to being 9 year old i changed them. The new Hankooks match up very well to the michellin spec when going through the data sheet with the fitter and at £87.50 per tyre compared to £140 each for the michellins it seems a very good choice. And they felt better on cornering coming back to.

How many miles is that?

I ask because I cannot imagine having tyres anywhere near 9 years without the tread wearing out!

My van is a little over 2 years old and the fronts are starting to look worn with between 3 and 4 mm left. Its done 21000 miles. They will certainly need replacing within the next few months.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How many miles is that?

I ask because I cannot imagine having tyres anywhere near 9 years without the tread wearing out!

I changed the original tyres on my 1999 Motorhome just two years ago. They were Michelin XC Campers and they had loads of thread left after 56k miles.

But the compound had hardened, the rubber was like stone, on wet grass they would just spin. I fitted Avons at around £90 each and they have been superb.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
How many miles is that?

My van is a little over 2 years old and the fronts are starting to look worn with between 3 and 4 mm left. Its done 21000 miles. They will certainly need replacing within the next few months.

Hi. When I got the mh last year it had done just over 18000 miles its just under 22000 now . As jim said the rubber does seem hard on them but still loads of tread left its only because of thier age that I changed them. I was hoping old tyres would fit my works truck but they are R16 not 15 :cry:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our tyres were made in 2008, according to the DOT code. They are 185/75r16 Pirellis fitted as OE by Ford.
They are splitting and perishing badly having only done 12K. The van was registered 3 years ago.:cry:

We are looking specifically for m+s due to our winter skiing activities! We would like to be able to visit Germany during the ski season and m+s tyres are mandatory.
The transit chassis is quite gentle on tyres. Rear pressures are only 48 psi, for instance. The vast majority of our annual mileage is during winter and the better traction off wet Summer rally fields will be handy too!:thumb:

We both work and mileage is low, so I feel even soft compound tyres will perish before they wear out!

After lots of searching, I have decided on Yokohama Y354. Prices where as high as £135 a tyre, but Black Circles .com came in at £88 a tyre fitted!:thumb:

My best quote for Michelin or Conti was £760 a set!:cry:

Anyway, the advice has been welcomed and I will let you know how they perform in due course!::bigsmile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You would think so, I would agree - but reality is different. A motorhome is effectively a fullen laden large van when you take weight into consideration. When carrying weight, you need a stiffer compound tyre to cope. The 'bounce' to get with heavy vehicles is handled alot better with stiffer sidewalls, as is the cornering as it resists the weight put on it. A softer compound would flatten easier, and be more like driving a jelly around.

I always go a few brands up from budget and replace every three years. This will put you into the medium/hard compound bracket that will give good value for money without loss of grip or performance.

Other tip I woild advise, is to see if there is a similar van in your neighbourhood. They would happily have your old tyres for £100 a set, and more often just means changing the steel wheels. This means you get £100 a set, and your neighbour saves money too!

Not everyone can afford a set of tyres every three years!

Choosing a tyre that will reliably last ten years rather than five is the order of the game for some people.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
How many miles is that?

Indeed. Your mileage is much higher than average for a motorhome, so you'd be well advised to go for a compound that optimises tread wear. The suggestion for softer tyres is for a typical motorhome that only does a few thousand a year.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
Used Mich's for 20 years on various Vans, always very good, but 'Hard Ride' changed to Hankooks last year, brilliant, just like driving a good car rather than 4 ton truck. Makes distance driving more relaxed with great road holding... Really a huge improvment, wish they had been around years ago. Best Regards Mac

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not everyone can afford a set of tyres every three years!

Choosing a tyre that will reliably last ten years rather than five is the order of the game for some people.

Shop around - I average £75 per tyre, which will get you some reasonable tyres. Budgets can be found from £55 for something like a roadstone.

I always keep tyres in top notch, one because it will always be the rear that goes - witch can be a pain to change roadside, and secondly, it will be the rear that wipes out your fibreglass.

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
After looking at this post, thought i would have a look at the tyres on our van, wish i had'nt
they look original tyres, lots of cracks on the treads, and on two of them the sidewalls quite bad:Sad::Sad:

So which model number for the avons and yokos, the mich & vanco are too much for me as i need four.

Also how do i find the date on the tyres/

Karl

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
we too opted for Hankooks, and are very happy with the purchase: thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't believe this thread has gone on for so long without someone saying you have got to have nothing less than new camper tyres every 5 years and at 79 psi weather you use them or not :Eeek:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The point I do find worrying on this thread, and from day to day checking of tyres on motorhomes (and the owners reactions to my comments:Doh:) is how so many people check their tyres so rarely. When I learned to drive, which is a pretty long time ago I know but there are many motorhomers who have been driving for many more years than myself, it was drilled into me by my driving instrcutor and my father that tyres should be checked for pressure, tread depth and overall condition at least on a weekly basis. Perhaps I now have a touch of OCD about tyres and their condition but I know all of the tyres on all of the vehicles we own are in good condition, are within date and are at the apropriate pressures for the vehicle they are fitted to, that is four roadgoing vehicles and one trailer.

Here's a little heads up for anyone unsure, if there is the slightest sign of sidewall cracking or cracking in between the treads the tyre is on its last legs, trust me people it will not heal up and get better! Check your tyre pressures weekly or at the very least just before you use your motorhome. We recently had a tag axle 5 tonne motorhome in with all but one tyre running at around 80 psi, the odd one out was at 27psi and on the front of the two rear axles. A blowout waiting to happen and the owner was surprised as he'd checked them not six months ago!

D.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
it will be hankooks for me
i have them on works van
good grip and a lot quiter then dunlops i had on before and a lot cheaper
so as i hate the mitchlins camper tyres on now as i think they a hard ride and noisy and i dont think the grip is very good on grass or snow
ya can only try it

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
After looking at this post, thought i would have a look at the tyres on our van, wish i had'nt
they look original tyres, lots of cracks on the treads, and on two of them the sidewalls quite bad:Sad::Sad:

So which model number for the avons and yokos, the mich & vanco are too much for me as i need four.

Also how do i find the date on the tyres/

Karl

The date code is on the sidewall in a small oval/rectangular box.
It is a four figure code containing the week and year. For instance, '1108' means the tyre was made during week 11 of 2008.

Sorry you found cracks too!:Sad:

The tyres we chose were Yokohama Y354, an 'all season' snowflake-marked tyre. They will be a bit noisier and less fuel-efficient than regular commercial tyres, but we need the spec! We can't afford two sets of wheels and tyres and our summer mileage is limited, so they should last a while.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The date code is on the sidewall in a small oval/rectangular box.
It is a four figure code containing the week and year. For instance, '1108' means the tyre was made during week 11 of 2008.

Sorry you found cracks too!:Sad:

The tyres we chose were Yokohama Y354, an 'all season' snowflake-marked tyre. They will be a bit noisier and less fuel-efficient than regular commercial tyres, but we need the spec! We can't afford two sets of wheels and tyres and our summer mileage is limited, so they should last a while.

Out of interest has anyone tried using All Terrain tyres? I never go over 50mph and like to camp on muddy fields, rather than expensive campsites with hard standing. I was thinking of the Toyo Open Country A/T-II LT225/75R16, which has a 115/112Q load/speed rating and is recommended for the dual rear wheel pickups that my chassis is based on (Chevrolet P30). Max load on a wheel is 907kg, which requires 108 under the 10% rule, so should be fine with the 112.

I'm guessing they might be too noisy/inefficient and should consider the Open Country H/T, or just straight van tyres (i.e. Avon AV9).

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Out of interest has anyone tried using All Terrain tyres? I never go over 50mph and like to camp on muddy fields, rather than expensive campsites with hard standing. I was thinking of the Toyo Open Country A/T-II LT225/75R16, which has a 115/112Q load/speed rating and is recommended for the dual rear wheel pickups that my chassis is based on (Chevrolet P30). Max load on a wheel is 907kg, which requires 108 under the 10% rule, so should be fine with the 112.

I'm guessing they might be too noisy/inefficient and should consider the Open Country H/T, or just straight van tyres (i.e. Avon AV9).

Maxxis do an all terrain (bravo) which has great on and off road capabilities. They are not noisy, grip the road very well in all weathers and wear well. They may be the right solution.
Last time I bought them they were £55 a corner - probably more like £70 now.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Maxxis do an all terrain (bravo) which has great on and off road capabilities. They are not noisy, grip the road very well in all weathers and wear well. They may be the right solution.
Last time I bought them they were £55 a corner - probably more like £70 now.

Not in my size. however.

I've only found a couple of snowflake level tyres and then only at the very top end of the market. There are some M&S tyres available at acceptable prices, i.e. Toyo OpenCountry H/T and Toyo H09. I'll probably go for one of those if I can't find a true snowflake for a reasonable price.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Yokos are on!

They look mean and ride a little more softly than the old Pirellis.
The good news is that noise levels are not noticably different.

I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

Do you actively seek those muddy fields? You must like wearing wellies!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back