Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
More bits from America sourced and coming.

It's almost FUN shipping a new RV over part by part.:ROFLMAO:

This should sort out some existing Electrical Problems.Headlight switch assembly and connectors.

Might just be a new Carburettor next.Just hope the £ stays strong against the $.

Some folk over there are so helpful when you explain you're trying to restore and run an old RV.:thumb:

Those led running lights look neat.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Yes it is great FUN sourcing bargains in the States and shipping them over but lets not get lulled into a false sense of security with the strong pound/dollar ratio and falling prices in the States due to their current economic climate.

It is worth remembering that anything you have sent from across the pond will of course be liable for tax and duty charges.

To work out the Customs duty you need to first know what the goods are classified as. The classification code will determine what duty you pay on the goods. The number is 01702 366077. If you phone them and tell them the description they will work tell you what duty rate it is.
For example 5% Duty.
You need to convert the value of the goods including the shipping into Sterling by using the conversion rate set by customs each month. You can go on the website to find this out, or your agent who will declare the goods for you will do this.
But say for example:

Value of the goods £150 plus shipping £40 = £190.00 Customs value is £190.00 X 5% Duty rate = £9.50 Duty.

£190.00 + £9.50 X 17.5% VAT = £34.91 VAT.
VAT is worked out on the customs value plus the duty

On this example you would pay £9.50 Duty and £34.91 VAT

It is also worth remembering that many carriers go on the volumetric weight of a parcel not on the actual weight so your $100 may appear to be a bargain but if it comes in a huge box carriage will be expensive.

Volumetric weight can be calculated here It is worth remembering that anything you have sent from across the pond will of course be liable for tax and duty charges.

To work out the Customs duty you need to first know what the goods are classified as. The classification code will determine what duty you pay on the goods. The number is 01702 366077. If you phone them and tell them the description they will work tell you what duty rate it is.
For example 5% Duty.
You need to convert the value of the goods including the shipping into Sterling by using the conversion rate set by customs each month. You can go on the website to find this out, or your agent who will declare the goods for you will do this.
But say for example:

Value of the goods £150 plus shipping £40 = £190.00 Customs value is £190.00 X 5% Duty rate = £9.50 Duty.

It is also worth remembering that many carriers go on the volumetric weight of a parcel not on the actual weight so your $100 may appear to be a bargain but if it comes in a huge box carriage will be expensive.

Volumetric weight can be calculated here Calculating the Volumetric Weight of a Package

This box for example contained a $170 part which weighed next to nothing but put it on a plane and reality dawns in the form a a colossal shipping bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yes it is great FUN sourcing bargains in the States and shipping them over but lets not get lulled into a false sense of security with the strong pound/dollar ratio and falling prices in the States due to their current economic climate.

It is worth remembering that anything you have sent from across the pond will of course be liable for tax and duty charges.

For example 5% Duty.
But say for example:

Volumetric weight can be calculated here Calculating the Volumetric Weight of a Package.

This box for example contained a $170 part which weighed next to nothing but put it on a plane and reality dawns in the form a a colossal shipping bill!

Thanks for the info Linda.:thumb:

I'll make sure I'm not using Air freight when shipping things that size.

I guess it's nice to know the size of the item boxed, prior to making the decision which way to ship it?:thumb:

Crikey JC could get in that box.:Eeek:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Also worth noting.....as fuel goes up so does the cost of shipping.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Also worth noting.....as fuel goes up so does the cost of shipping.

Good point.

Still, if the parts are available cheap enough, or are only available over there, then it has to be done.
I guess fuel will always play a big part in the costing.:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Not one of JC better days Linda:winky:

I would rather leave it to the professionals to source and deliver as if its the wrong part you have someone to go back to.

Your hardly likely to demand satisfaction with a unknown source in the states.

What I am impressed with is Stateside got me marker lights that where not easy to source and delivered to my home in under 2 weeks and part of any delay was the fact |I was away so no one to take delivery:winky:

Must say though Steve glad you source your parts and arrived safely:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: Just one more point about shipping from the USA. I have shipped via Airmail and via normal mail.
They BOTH arrived within the same amount of time. :Eeek:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Not one of JC better days Linda:winky:

Your hardly likely to demand satisfaction with a unknown source in the states.

Must say though Steve glad you source your parts and arrived safely:thumb:

This company went out of their way to sort the problem.All credit to them and it only took 2 emails.:thumb:

Cheers John.::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
This company went out of their way to sort the problem.All credit to them and it only took 2 emails.:thumb:

Cheers John.::bigsmile:

Great but if the parts had been wrong where would you stand if they cared not to help and of course if they did the did who would cover the shipping costs?

I have had trouble with a Citroen wheel bearing in this country:Doh::cry:

Glad all went well though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back