Yet another meet plagued by generators!!!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
What a load of Goody Two Shoes we have here on Fun...

We do every thing the right way but others don't.

I might fire up my genny to now use the toaster... if someone complains I will say to him,

"Get off my land."

JJ :cool:

Oh there will be smoke as well as its a kipper JJ :clap2::wink:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think that any newbie reading this thread will begin to wonder what they have got themselves into!

Maybe Mr Photo4x4, but if they spend some time checking out the whole site, they will pick up on the distinctive "vibe" of Fun and the vast variety of Funsters in it.

I feel sure they will realise that, whatever their likes or dislikes, there will be many others who feel the same as they do.

Room for everyone, not only on Fun, but at the meets too.

Why, Fun even has Daily M*il reading Man U*d fans as members. Yukkk.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In my experience few motorhomers use generators, though a minority carry them.
The ones who use them are usually beginners who have not yet learnt how rarely they are needed, sometimes misinformed by generator salesman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
:(

We have never been to a 'rally' and were considering doing so this year. However having read this thread I am no longer inclined to do so as there does seem to be a lot bitching and intolerance. What a shame.

I think that any newbie reading this thread will begin to wonder what they have got themselves into!

KH
Hold on for a mo
This lot of pee taking is no where near what happens on a rally
Rally's are exactly what you make of them we have done at least 20 rally's with fun and never had a bad one yet despite rain snow wind freezing and getting bogged down
Rally's with fun are FUN

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Oh there will be smoke as well as its a kipper JJ :clap2::wink:

Really sorry Mr Larry (hope you are both well) but you have obviously missed the news...

Having picked up some of Mr Snowbird's "Wheeling and Dealing" skills after our long Skype chats, I have swopped a faulty Onan generator, which I bought sometime ago, for a fully working Honda 1kw one.

I do, however, sometimes run it on a metal tray loaded with nuts and bolts and empty tim cans just to remind me of the good old days!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The bigger the event, be that a show, a rally or a camp site the more inevitable it will be that some do not do as we both wish, one mans ideal is another mans nightmare

Forums allow comment to be made where it might not be otherwise, the OP was put out by the generator, as I think the majority of us would have been, equally the majority of us would probably simply put up, or if we could move, however in this instance nothing was said to the owner of the generator, but we have all had our say on the matter

I guess the real question is what do we do when something on a large site or even small site for that matter, causes us an issue, do nothing, talk to the originator of the problem, talk to the site manager, start a thread

Probably the latter, then after a couple of days replies revisit the question :D

lots of things get under my skin, I am quite likely one of the grumpiest on here, and most judgmental and opinionated and yes my idea is virtually always the only way :D:D

but I do also enjoy good company, nice wine and meaningful discussion, we are never all going to get on as best mates, but there is no good reason why we cant all get on with our own ways, as Bev often reminds me, my way is different it doesn't make hers wrong (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hold on a moment here young man... I am pretty sure I can take you on in these departments and give you a good run for your money...

I actually edited my original to allow for 'inevitable' comparison, I bow with respect to you in this area Sir JJ, one day I hope to share a glass or two and find out for sure :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm only posting to help this thread on to 10 pages. :)

One of these would be quieter - a thermo-electric cookpot:
1346_powerpot_thermoelectric_generator.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not aware of the bitching but tolerance is subjective. How would you feel if you were settled down outside your mh, reading, chatting, chilling etc. and the the generators start? One generator can ruin the tranquility and two or three make an absolute racket. You may be able to cope with some noise but when you can't hear what your companions are saying because your neighbour has turned their genny on so that they can watch TV etc. would feel chilled? I don't think that many people object to generators per se but they do seem to be used far more often than might be expected considering the leisure battery capacity of most vans and the effects of one generator running can impact on many more people than the immediate neighbours.
I'm at Peterborough show with a friend who's first experience of a brilliant show has been almost ruined by a generator running 20 feet away. It has run continuously (day & night with brief breaks for refuelling) since he arrived. When he asked one of the show officials about it he was told the camper in question had permission to use it continuously to run medical equipment. Three options spring to mind: the organisers should have offered a hook-up; the camper should have demanded a pitch well away from others; the camper should not have attended the show. All his immediate neighbours are equally affected and all are unhappy with the situation. What do you think?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I'm only posting to help this thread on to 10 pages. :)

One of these would be quieter - a thermo-electric cookpot:
1346_powerpot_thermoelectric_generator.jpg
But will my Bluetooth still work so I can blast out dark side of the moon on my 3 to power^9 sound system

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm at Peterborough show with a friend who's first experience of a brilliant show has been almost ruined by a generator running 20 feet away. It has run continuously (day & night with brief breaks for refuelling) since he arrived. When he asked one of the show officials about it he was told the camper in question had permission to use it continuously to run medical equipment. Three options spring to mind: the organisers should have offered a hook-up; the camper should have demanded a pitch well away from others; the camper should not Ave attended the show. All his immediate neighbours are equally affected and all are unhappy with the situation. What do you think?

I'd be p1ssed off too. All 3 options would have been better than having to endure the racket.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I'm at Peterborough show with a friend who's first experience of a brilliant show has been almost ruined by a generator running 20 feet away. It has run continuously (day & night with brief breaks for refuelling) since he arrived. When he asked one of the show officials about it he was told the camper in question had permission to use it continuously to run medical equipment. Three options spring to mind: the organisers should have offered a hook-up; the camper should have demanded a pitch well away from others; the camper should not have attended the show. All his immediate neighbours are equally affected and all are unhappy with the situation. What do you think?
Well you can't blame the camper he asked the question
so as far as I can see the organisers should have arranged parking in the disabled area where there is a hook up i believe
I for one would not want to be reliant on a genny for power as a matter of life or death

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What do you think?

Possibly be parked some where else.... but...

It`s a sorry state of affairs where by some one who rely`s on electric to live as normal life as possible and no doubt extend their life expectancy is shunned... and exiled... :(

Just hope any one who are blessed with good health never end`s up as this person obviously has...

What a Sad/Sorry world we live in whilst the majority can lead a normal life, yet harpoon some one because of what has happened, and probably through no fault of their`s..

I don`t know if I want to carry on camping.... :crying:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Well you can't blame the camper he asked the question
so as far as I can see the organisers should have arranged parking in the disabled area where there is a hook up i believe
I for one would not want to be reliant on a genny for power as a matter of life or death

Especially if it was our genny which backfires the minute you put a load on it.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
What do i think?
lets just hope you are never in the same position as the genny user,where there is no option but to be ostracized from the rest of the rally because of a medical condition.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I know that this may not be a popular response but the user of the generator or similar medically dependent campers are not being ostracised because of their medical conditions but they won't be popular because of the noise their generators make - even more so if they are running 24/7. It is not about discrimination.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's funny but I used to find generators a major annoyance. However I have now completed 6 years of fulltiming. The vast majority of that time has been spent off campsites. I can even sleep through the Typhoons doing their airshow practice and Q scrambles without being woken up. I only noticed one generator at Peterboro and that was literally half an hour after I turned up on Thursday. My only thought was didn't they charge their batteries before coming? The only thing that can wake me these days if someone gets too close to my van, this wakes me up like a shot.

At rallies I expect to be surrounded by barking dogs, tripped up by those bloody long extending leads, generators being run at full tonk, the funster marquee noise going well into the night and people stood outside my van chatting at full volume. When you have that many people meeting up there is going to have to be many compromises. But boy is it worth it for the social (y).

I have just bought a nice little tablet and now download a load of films/TV to USB memory sticks before going anywhere that I won't have a hookup. I can watch a whole days worth of TV on one charge of the tablet and put it on to charge over night. All the solar panels had to do this weekend was keep up with my new Waeco cooler box which was keeping my beers very very cold.

All that being said, I do remember how irritating gennies can be so I would suggest an 11am - 4pm window of operation for them. With a decent charger (25Amp+) this should put enough charge into most peoples batteries. Operation outside this time should be banned except for medical reasons. The 4pm stop is because I know people like to sit outside their van for tea and have a chat and food. A generator next to this can be off putting to say the least.

That being said. Live and let live. It's only a couple of days. (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are going into a really tough area now, the 'disability' should not restrict the joining in bit, but if there was an option for electrics for those that need, it seems odd to take the risk of not using them, anything could have gone wrong with the generator, overnight especially, then what would they do

I personally see the use of a generator 24/7 unreasonable when there was an alternative, this is in no way anti disabled or meant to inflame, but it is back to consideration for others, they had an alternative power source and should have used it

I also think they should investigate alternative means of generating power, efoy for instance, petrol generators are not the only option, I know cost has to come into it, but sell the generator, that will go some way towards it

At the end of the day we all have rights

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
---- Three options spring to mind: the organisers should have offered a hook-up; the camper should have demanded a pitch well away from others; the camper should not have attended the show. All his immediate neighbours are equally affected and all are unhappy with the situation. What do you think?

Maybe one of the posters on this thread with soooo much spare power could have run a lead to their van ?????
Maybe after this thread they will not want to attend another FUN meet????
It would be interesting to hear from them on this thread.
Have the marshals looked into the options ????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back