Yet ANOTHER electric bike question! (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Totally agree Eddie, it all depends on what you want. Ginny's is no good for me as I like to ride the canal tow paths and cycle tracks where my all peddling hybrid is adequate. But if you do just want to potter about, do a bit of shopping and maybe total journey is up to 18 or 2o miles then spending the kind of money that will allow you to do that is good enough...I would have thought.

Fine.....
The OP has a budget of £1000, I linked a Bosch powered bike at around £800. hardly stratospheric pricing. Bike he mentioned initially (used for £499) can be bought new for £1600. and its in no way as good as a Bosch system bike. I know this as I ran 3 Wispers over a few year and 4 Bosch powered bikes since. so feel Im reasonably confident as to what what I'm talking about. I also know that the performance/hill climbing in a different league from a hub motored bike, reliability like wise. I never pay full retail for anything - neither does anyone else need to - why settle for less.:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We should have an e-bike meet where we can all try each other's bikes and find what feels "right".

Your wish is my command!

The puddleduck and JM e bike comparison meet?

Just a bit concerned with your ability to get your leg over:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
'AS' Bikes have proved to be just perfect for our needs. Averaging 25 -30 miles almost every day for a 3 months in Spain, ticked all of the boxes for us. My wife has had a new hip this year and the gentle exercise helped build up her lower leg muscles after two years struggling to walk. No hill was too much, even long one in four inclines. Touring cities presented no problems parking and between us we were easily able to carry a whole weeks shopping in the saddle bags including milk and a case of beer.
So to Peter who sells them at Motorhome shows I convey our gratitude for the freedom our bikes have given us. Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StephenH

Free Member
Mar 9, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would always recommend buying new so you can get parts and take advantage of the warranty. Check out my ebike reviews at ebikeclass.com as there's plenty of decent bikes in the £800 range

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I converted out Mountain Bikes to Electric so have crank drive with 21 Gears. Will go up most hills you just have to watch you don't go off backwards. The idea behind the crank drive rather than the motor inside the wheel is that through the gears the motor is always working at its optimum speed. With an in wheel arrangement the motor has to work from standstill all the way through to 20mph. The crank drive uses all its power through the gears with extra help from your legs when required. One of the other benefits is less stress on the motor and of course it does not look like an electric bike to the casual thief as it's not got big hub centres.

Tried one of the Bosch Drives and was very disappointed. I cycled or tried to cycle down the road without switching on the power. Just about manageable for a couple of hundred yards but very hard work and probably easier to walk. Our converted ones are just like ordinary bikes so if the worst happens you just have to pedal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back